English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale

Crazy, did not see that coming at all.
Got to be more to it to leave 3 rounds into the new season.

That said his Mom died a week or two ago, he stepped down from the board just after and had now left the club. Wonder if that's just coincidence or he wants to step , reassess priorities etc.?
I know he runs a bunch of businesses away from the sport, maybe concentrating on those?
Genuinely shocked.

I reckon we're going to nose dive, and hard, now.

Surprised as well , like or loath done alot for Sharks.

Shocked at this, they were 5th last season due to covid or likly made the play offs so very unlikely to be performance based.

Wish him all the best he is a great coach and provides some good interviews saying what he actually thinks.

You never quite know what's gone on, but the game has one character fewer, that's for sure.

Maybe he's had word of a potential vacancy at HQ?

Crazy, did not see that coming at all.
Got to be more to it to leave 3 rounds into the new season.

That said his Mom died a week or two ago, he stepped down from the board just after and had now left the club. Wonder if that's just coincidence or he wants to step , reassess priorities etc.?
I know he runs a bunch of businesses away from the sport, maybe concentrating on those?
Genuinely shocked.

I reckon we're going to nose dive, and hard, now.
Whatever the reason from all in Munster we will be sad to see him go.
He was a true rugby man and was a character of the game.
Also had the best interests of Sale at heart and was good for the game..

Sale will miss him.

I'm actually more than a bit sad about this one. First and foremost a rugby man. I rather enjoyed the fact that he didn't simply do as so many do now and bend to the baying mob in the media. He knew his own mind and was happy to stick to his beliefs regardless. I suspect he's almost the last of his kind.

It may be that he's just had enough. It's a hard road to tread when you go your own way. I suspect that without his energy and commitment Sale would be nowhere near what they are today.

Going to be impossible to replace.
One of the only people who could think like a CEO and DOR (maybe Deano).

Will miss him, a very big character.

Loosing a parent can do a number on you and different people will react in varying degrees. Taking stock and time off can be really important I wish I could of done it more but got my 5 days and that was it (also the actual toll it took on me wasn't apparent for 6 months).

So condolences to him if something horrible happened in his family.

From an outsider and purely rugby perspective (with emphasis on outside observer) I think this is the best thing that could have happened to Sale.

I remember saying a while back in this forum that Sale is underperforming for their squad. Olyy said I clearly am not a sale supporter. Which i am not really. Kinda now but you get the drift... So in a way elluding that Sale was not even used to that level of success which is top four. While I thought they should be top 2 minimum . And that if I knew the contextual history then I would understand that top 4 is good enough for them.

This guy built a good squad with depth
kudos , now bring in a coach who can win the premiership because if I look at this Sale squad then Exeter has no business wining the league. Just because the Sale has historically not been a championship side does not mean you should underplay their current squad. I am of the opinion that Diamond has underperformed with the players he has available to him. Again kudos he signed those exact players. This is why I feel it's the best thing that could have happened to them.

Side note:diamond said himself he does not see the club continuing to sign South Africans. He said long term the club needs to focus on their Academy. This is true. The new coach might start this transition, by not signing any new foreign players and just supplementing the current squad with Academy products, but that's long term and now they should be at minimum a top two side.

kudos , now bring in a coach who can win the premiership because if I look at this Sale squad then Exeter has no business wining the league. Just because the Sale has historically not been a championship side does not mean you should underplay their current squad. I am of the opinion that Diamond has underperformed with the players he has available to him. Again kudos he signed those exact players. This is why I feel it's the best thing that could have happened to them.

I assume you also think SAle should also be winning the European Cup too ?

I assume you also think SAle should also be winning the European Cup too ?
Exeter deserved what they got. Just saying squad strength wise you would have expected Sale to take the league.

Exeter deserved what they got. Just saying squad strength wise you would have expected Sale to take the league.
You really wouldn't.
Squad strength wise - Sale are no better than Exeter, Saracens, Wasps, Bath or probably Bristol.
First XV? Maybe, but a squad is much deeper than that - except in Sale's case when they barely have any backup

Last edited:
Ennit, I don't think even the most steadfast Sale fan would say that

Our team looks way better on Wikipedia than IRL anyway.
A lot of our biggest earners aren't worth the paycheque.

Last edited:
So why you are a big fan of Sale then,Olyy? If you don't believe in their success :rolleyes:

Sale has greatest concentration of Saffas, Saffa says they should win and the club full of English players shouldn't. Well I'll be damned!

So why you are a big fan of Sale then,Olyy? If you don't believe in their success :rolleyes:
Because they're my club,
You don't just support the team who wins the most - otherwise everyone would support Saracens and Chiefs and no one else
I've supported Sale since I first knew what prem rugby was

Indeed. I'm not a Quins fan for our win percentage or the wildly inconsistent standard of rugby. I'm a Quins fan mostly by virtue of it being the closest professional club to where I lived until very recently.

I'm not a fan of Diamond, but in a way I'll miss him. Sale should be plum job now. What's the betting it's a South African hire?

What's the betting that Robert du Preez senior takes over the head coach role?

Sale has greatest concentration of Saffas, Saffa says they should win and the club full of English players shouldn't. Well I'll be damned!
There are a lot of South Africans there yes so I can see why you make that deduction. But yea I know the South African players there and I know their quality. All of them except Ross is International quality in my mind exemplified by them actually having International caps. But then Sale also has lots of English Internationals. Such an overflow in the forwards that one of the Curry and one of the du Preez players sometimes need to sit on the bench. They are probably the team with the highest concentration of world cup finalists. So no it's not as straightworwards as you make it seem, there is merit towards my claims.

This Sale squad can perform even better with the squad they have, since they hovered around number two last year, is it really that big of a claim to say they should be number one In the league with that squad?

And Exeter is obviously a really well run club, didn't say they should not be winning , they are winning.

Last edited:

Latest posts