• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Steve Walsh is a cheat...

naughtybutnice

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bayonne
And it is that plain and simple for every body on this planet to see!

I am a french men who just watched the SA vs Wales game and have come away in shock and bemusement at the decisions that STEVE WALSH made in that game.

It leaves nothing to the imagination other than the fact that the guy is cheat and he single handedly gave the game to SA.

Lets take the last penalty tri in the game. Liam williams went in with his left hand to push the Africian in to touch, he then came in with his right hand and it got compressed in the tackle, hence he used his hands in the tackle. He did not shoulder barge as only Steve Waksh made out: he used his hands, if the south african player got a knock for is troubles " SO WHAT" its a physical game!

SA when in attack got taken to to ground and the SA players came over off their feet and lay on top of the ball, hence sealing it off from welsh defenders. SA DID THIS ALL GAME AND STEVE WALSH DID NOT PENALISE THEM ONCE FOR IT!

The one yellow card was supposedly for the Welsh number 4 going in on the side at a maul. Sorry Steve Walsh the Welsh maul spun around that way and we see it time and again with out the need for a yellow card.

Apart from being a cheat he was inconsistent on every level of the game and its about time the IRB brought the standard of refereeing up to the standard that is required.

SA bored in and pushed up on many occaisions at scrum time in the first half and again steve walsh did nothing about it.

I am sorry but when you see vagrant ignoring of the rules and poor incorrect decision like this it leaves you with no other option but to say the guy is CHEATING.

No I am not a troll and yes Steve Walsh is an inconsistent referee who cheats teams out of victories with very bad calls.

IF THIS IS THE ADVERT THAT THE IRB WANTS TO SEND OUT IN THE GAME THEN MORE FOOL THEM.

EXCELLENT ADVERT THE CHEATERS WIN: with out fail via cheating referees.

And no: interpretation is a cop out that is used by people who do not understand the laws of the game. Mainly the IRB and commentators. The rules are there in black and white for everybody to see and if referees can not enforce theses lawd they should not be control of a rugby game.

Rubbish

But what you expect from a Bayonnaise (that is a joke by the way and welcome)!!!!!

interesting read...as someone who hasn't seen it yet but will see it soon, I'll hold you accountable for all this and pay attention.
You know of course you'll get a bunch of flame posts for this with people insulting you and throwing irrelevant arguments at what you're saying and....well, basically, I'm saying, you are conscious this is an internet forum, right ? :D

Good luck with the replies...

We must have watched two different games. Wales was well on their way to a win when their player made an illegal tackle, resulting in a penalty try. There's really no disputing that call as far as I can tell. Ill discipline...that's what lost them the game, not Walsh.

das

Big Ewis: yes I know, and undoubtedly I will get some bashing. But to be honest you can not play a game of rugby with referees who can not enforce the law or make the correct calls during the game.

Its either: he needs to go from being a referee or prove to the world that he is not a cheater, and if people want to bash me for saying the truth let them crack on.

Cheers for not bashing me.

To be serious, I would consider the new Walsh to be many steps above all but maybe two or three of the refs in France and well worth his place on the International panel............I disagree with every one of your points and would agree with Das on that ..................maybe they were showing a different match in the Rowing Club!!

10.4 (g) from the IRB laws:

Dangerous charging. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player.

10.4 (q) from the IRB laws:

Advantage may be played for acts of foul play, but if the offence prevents a probable try, a penalty try must be awarded.

By law 10.4 (g) he made an illegal tackle. By law 10.4 (q), the illegal tackle rightly resulted in a penalty try. Steve Walsh was spot on.

Whether or not Liam Williams' arm got squished in the tackle and he couldn't perform a legal tackle is irrelevant. Yes, he used his arms, no he did not attempt to grasp. In fact, I think Steve Walsh recognised that Liam Williams did not do anything cynical, because Liam didn't go to the sin bin. Cynical play to stop a team scoring a try always results in a yellow card.

Last edited:
Das,

Steve walsh stated that he did not use his hands when in fact he did. Steve walsh is wrong and that cost wales the game. If the referee can not get the decision right, even when he has even seen it on the big screen, it leaves nothing to the imagination that he is a cheat.

Right call - illegal tackle.

Shoulder charges are illegal and blatant.

J'nuh. And that is exactly what liam williams did. He tried to grasp him with his left arm hence using his arms. Steve walsh cheated.

Steve walsh stated that he did not use his hands when in fact he did.

I think that you will be very hard pressed to get any agreement on that statement..........certainly ALL the Welsh pundits (Quinnell and Iuen Evans) immediately condemned the action and insisted it was a penalty try on UK TV.

Oh and the Welsh captain, Warburton, did not argue the matter............

You can't grasp a player with just one arm... His right arm got trapped and he charged the other player.

You can't grasp a player with just one arm... His right arm got trapped and he charged the other player.

He folded his right arm before he hit him with his right shoulder so how the hell could he have put his left arm anywhere near him? It is a physical impossibility.............

No more!

yeah I mean come on naughtybutnice, you couldn't call Walsh a cheat from that one play at the end. If everything else you're saying is true, you might have some kind of a case where, who knows I'm not saying anything, but in theory it's possible Walsh was a little biased in letting one team do smt, and not letting the other do those same things. But that last play is a shouldercharge, and although I don't think the try should've been awarded ideally I understand why he did, and there's a very coherent logic behind that call.
I say that btw, because I feel Hendricks (the Bok winger "try-scorer") would've been tackled or lost the ball anyways on a regular tackle, but at the same time you can't just use that, it's far too unstable a premise, and given the situation, it's incumbent upon the ref to make that decision since there was an infringement, illegal and dangerous play right during the very jump for a try. I don't know the rule book, but, coherent. No debate I think.

Das,

Steve walsh stated that he did not use his hands when in fact he did. Steve walsh is wrong and that cost wales the game. If the referee can not get the decision right, even when he has even seen it on the big screen, it leaves nothing to the imagination that he is a cheat.

My husband doesn't watch rugby (though he does know some basic rules due to my interest in the game). I showed him that tackle with the sound turned off (so he wouldn't be swayed by the commentary or Walsh's chat with the TMO), and I asked him to give his opinion on it. He said the first tackle attempt was good, but the second defender came in, made no attempt to wrap his arms around the player, but instead charged in, ramming his elbow against the player's head. He then said that was an illegal tackle. Now, even with his limited knowledge of the game if he was able to see that it was a bad tackle, I'm sure Walsh and the TMO could, too.

HOWEVER, one could argue that the first tackle had knocked Hendricks off balance and perhaps - PERHAPS - he would have gone into touch before scoring, but that's all hypothetical. I believe there is no way of saying for sure that he would have gone out of bounds and so therefore the penalty try was awarded, based on the illegal tackle made on the player while he was still on the field of play.

Also, Walsh took this decision VERY seriously. He asked the players not to crowd him because of how serious this decision was. He talked to the touch judge and asked for a TMO review. He didn't make his decision all willy-nilly, but asked to view the tape again to see if Hendricks was truly about to make the try - and the TMO verified that he was about to make the try. If anything - and if you still think it was a bad call - then blame the TMO as well, and not just Walsh. But I think it was a good call...and a good lesson.

A team needs good discipline in order to win. It is possible that Hendricks would have stumbled into touch before scoring, but we will never know that because Williams screwed up. Even if he meant to use his arms in the tackle is really irrelevant since that would have probably resulted in an equally illegal high tackle (considering body/arm position when contact was made). I know things happen fast on the pitch, and it's easy to sit in my house and say he should have done this or that, but many players make good split second decisions. In this case, Williams made a bad one.

das

My husband doesn't watch rugby (though he does know some basic rules due to my interest in the game). I showed him that tackle with the sound turned off (so he wouldn't be swayed by the commentary or Walsh's chat with the TMO), and I asked him to give his opinion on it. He said the first tackle attempt was good, but the second defender came in, made no attempt to wrap his arms around the player, but instead charged in, ramming his elbow against the player's head. He then said that was an illegal tackle. Now, even with his limited knowledge of the game if he was able to see that it was a bad tackle, I'm sure Walsh and the TMO could, too.

HOWEVER, one could argue that the first tackle had knocked Hendricks off balance and perhaps - PERHAPS - he would have gone into touch before scoring, but that's all hypothetical. I believe there is no way of saying for sure that he would have gone out of bounds and so therefore the penalty try was awarded, based on the illegal tackle made on the player while he was still on the field of play.

Also, Walsh took this decision VERY seriously. He asked the players not to crowd him because of how serious this decision was. He talked to the touch judge and asked for a TMO review. He didn't make his decision all willy-nilly, but asked to view the tape again to see if Hendricks was truly about to make the try - and the TMO verified that he was about to make the try. If anything - and if you still think it was a bad call - then blame the TMO as well, and not just Walsh. But I think it was a good call...and a good lesson.

A team needs good discipline in order to win. It is possible that Hendricks would have stumbled into touch before scoring, but we will never know that because Williams screwed up. Even if he meant to use his arms in the tackle is really irrelevant since that would have probably resulted in an equally illegal high tackle (considering body/arm position when contact was made). I know things happen fast on the pitch, and it's easy to sit in my house and say he should have done this or that, but many players make good split second decisions. In this case, Williams made a bad one.

das

The interesting bit of his conversation was when he explained to the Welsh captain that the rule books says when there is an illegal tackle he, the ref, has to run the scenario through as if that player was no part of the tackle to determine whether the player that was hit would have scored a try without the illegal players interference

North had missed his tackle and the winger was in play diving for the line, had Williams not been involved in any way, the winger would have carried in his dive and crossed the line clearly in play!

The interesting bit of his conversation was when he explained to the Welsh captain that the rule books says when there is an illegal tackle he, the ref, has to run the scenario through as if that player was no part of the tackle to determine whether the player that was hit would have scored a try without the illegal players interference

North had missed his tackle and the winger was in play diving for the line, had Williams not been involved in any way, the winger would have carried in his dive and crossed the line clearly in play!

I found that interesting, too...though I didn't quite understand that it was actually in the rules. I heard him say something about the rules, but my volume was turned down a bit and I didn't quite make the connection that it was taking the player our of the scenario that was in the rules, but instead thought he was just saying what constituted an illegal tackle - so thanks for the clarification!

das

I found that interesting, too...though I didn't quite understand that it was actually in the rules. I heard him say something about the rules, but my volume was turned down a bit and I didn't quite make the connection that it was taking the player our of the scenario that was in the rules, but instead thought he was just saying what constituted an illegal tackle - so thanks for the clarification!

das

Mon plaisir ma cherie.....oh, and regards to your husband!!

Latest posts