• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Steve Walsh is a cheat...

….well its an interesting concept Peat and I heard Steve Walsh say that when Alun Wynn was talking to him; something along the lines of “I have to make the decision as if the tackler wasn’t there†…
.. this is my beef really…. I’m not sure where that particular concept comes from ……where Steve Walsh got the idea from ……
…for example if an attacker is “taken out†on the field of play the penalty will be awarded at the point where the illegal tackle was made â€" the ref doesn’t assume because it was an illegal tackle that the defender wouldn’t have been there and then go on to award a penalty kick from some arbitrary point further on based upon where he thinks the attacker might have got to if he hadn’t been illegally tackled?
….the issue of the penalty try and probability is a complicated one and I agree with the spirit of the idea but to be honest every time an illegal tackle or an offside infringement occurs the referee takes into account where it happened; the further away from the try line the less likely it is that a penalty try will be awarded.. and to be honest the touchline if you are over it is just as far from the try line as the twenty two…..!
I don’t have a problem over all with officials missing things because if we are all screaming that something has been missed then we are just playing into the hands of the tv pundits and all this does is force the refes to think more about their performance review than the spirit of the game they are officiating over
The trouble with the Steve Walsh remark is its not clearly defined in law and I have never understood why the game is full of semantics over some issues which are never clearly defined in its laws but has been become clouded over others which for the spirit of the game are much more important and much more clearly defined in the laws
… I’m thinking of things such as illegal binding, feeds, non captains talking to the referee, soccer-style shrugs and smirks, throwing the ball away, not letting the ball go, diving, faking and urging the ref to award penalties and cards to the opposition .. these will destroy the game and should be easy for the officials to deal with … brings me back to my second point â€" the forward pass …

Yes. But in the field of play you have advantage. The ref lets play unfold and if no advantage is reached brings it back.

It is discretional so in that way it is very similar in that the ref decides what the benefit to the attacking team should be.

In the act of scoring there is no scope for advantage so it is a black and white will be score if he wasn't impeded.

This was in the act of scoring so it is correct to award the ruling on the outcome sans challenge.

The important point is that Walsh is not setting a precedence with his ruling. It is something we have seen time and time again.

….well its an interesting concept Peat and I heard Steve Walsh say that when Alun Wynn was talking to him; something along the lines of "I have to make the decision as if the tackler wasn't there" …
.. this is my beef really…. I'm not sure where that particular concept comes from ……where Steve Walsh got the idea from ……

IRB Referee guidelines. Its been that way for at least as long ago as when I was an active referee, and that is 30+ years. Ask any ELRA (in your part of the world) qualified referee. They will know the "beam him up" guideline.

…for example if an attacker is "taken out" on the field of play the penalty will be awarded at the point where the illegal tackle was made –
the ref doesn't assume because it was an illegal tackle that the defender wouldn't have been there and then go on to award a penalty kick from some arbitrary point further on based upon where he thinks the attacker might have got to if he hadn't been illegally tackled?

Firstly, the only time this "beam him up" guideline is used is when assessing the penalty for a penalty try, and

Secondly, it doesn't matter where on the field the penalty (that results in a penalty try) takes place, the mark for the penalty is on the goal-line directly under the middle of the goal post crossbar.

The trouble with the Steve Walsh remark is its not clearly defined in law and I have never understood why the game is full of semantics over some issues which are never clearly defined in its laws but has been become clouded over others which for the spirit of the game are much more important and much more clearly defined in the laws

refer above...

Do you understand the following?

"The Tackle Gate"

"The tackle release sequence"

"Tackle assist"

"side entry"

"swimming around the maul"

I'll bet you do, but you wont find any of them defined in Law?

Where have you been? Are you feigning ignorance simply to torture me? Anyway

Have a look at Aus vs SA RWC 2011 semi final. Referee; Bryce Lawrence.

Just watch that match and the number of times David Pocock has his hands on the ball while not supporting his weight, and just incorrect entry, lyying over the ball etc., also count the number of high tackles made on SA backs effectively killing our forward momentum. I remember on time Pat McCabe clothlined two SA backs simultaneously! Now if high tackles on SA players are a go then at least surely blow for tackling the one man without the ball? Watch his handling of the scrums. The whole match from start to finish just letting go Aus infringments but pinging SA when we do something. Effectively he was only policing one team.

A South African complaining about being roughed up ?!? Now I really have heard everything . I'm thinking back to 2009 lions tour when you guys targeted out front row as a danger and basically injured everyone .

Next the New Zealanders will be complaining about our players being offside !!

*puts hard hat on*

;) ;) ;)

Wayne Barnes is cheat.

Ill ask a question here and if anyone's answer is yes then they are either lying or don't know what they are talking about when it comes to rugby.

Has anyone ever seen a game where one side doesn't give away 1 penalty for over an entire half of rugby. After a lifetime of watching that is the only game I have ever seen that happen. Ever.

Wayne Barnes is cheat.

Ill ask a question here and if anyone's answer is yes then they are either lying or don't know what they are talking about when it comes to rugby.

Has anyone ever seen a game where one side doesn't give away 1 penalty for over an entire half of rugby. After a lifetime of watching that is the only game I have ever seen that happen. Ever.
****, my time machine worked after all.

Wayne Barnes is cheat.

Yes. In the recent game between Italy and Fiji last November. It took 71 minutes for Italy to get penalised, meanwhile Fiji had conceded a record 5 yellow cards and were briefly playing with 11 men for a couple of minutes!

Yes. In the recent game between Italy and Fiji last November. It took 71 minutes for Italy to get penalised, meanwhile Fiji had conceded a record 5 yellow cards and were briefly playing with 11 men for a couple of minutes!

Can't say I saw that game but Ill take your word for it. Still very very odd. There are so many rules in rugby that it almost defies belief that Italy where perfect in every ruck, maul, line out, scrum, tackle and didn't creep offside once in 71 minutes of rugby. That's amazing discipline....

Who was the ref?

das

Can't say I saw that game but Ill take your word for it. Still very very odd. There are so many rules in rugby that it almost defies belief that Italy where perfect in every ruck, maul, line out, scrum, tackle and didn't creep offside once in 71 minutes of rugby. That's amazing discipline....

Laws, not rules... Before Smartcooky jumps up and *****slaps you like Batman...

Latest posts