TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
3501.2.jpg

att Stevens has described his two year drugs ban as 'the best thing that ever happened' to him.

The former England tight-head will begin the next stage of his rugby career on January 19, when his ban expires and he links up with his new team-mates at Saracens.

The 28-year-old resigned from Bath in March 2009 after a drugs test revealed metabolites of cocaine and he has since put his efforts into running a coffee shop alongside former Bath colleague Lee Mears.

During his suspension Stevens was unable to train or engage in any form of rugby activity and he is keen to get back into a team environment. He has been keeping fit thanks to an interest in Brazilian ju-jitsu.

"It's going to sound very odd but it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me," he told BBC Sport. "That whole experience, getting banned, all led to where I am today and I'm genuinely a lot happier person and in a lot better place, so it's a good thing.

"It feels like Christmas Day - I packed my bag last week. I'm pretty nervous. It's amazing I'll be able to play rugby again. I'm a social animal and I really miss team training sessions. That sounds bizarre because when you play you can think of nothing worse than training - you really want to play."

Stevens has not closed the door on a possible England return, but he has admitted that there is a long road ahead before he can add to his 32 caps.

"It is my goal to play for England again but I've been out for two years and I wouldn't ever to want to come across as that guy who would assume he's got what it takes to play," he said. "I've got to concentrate on playing well for Sarries and if that takes me to a point where I can play for England, that's brilliant."

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2010-11/rugby/story/132669.html

he's done his time so to speak, hope his comeback goes well for him i always liked him as a player. Glad to hear he has been training BJJ and running a coffee shop too, he's obviously keen on all of south americas key exports ;)

Bet hes gna pick up a ban for some kind of BJJ move when he plays again.

he's done his time so to speak, hope his comeback goes well for him i always liked him as a player. Glad to hear he has been training BJJ and running a coffee shop too, he's obviously keen on all of south americas key exports ;)

:lol:

Bet hes gna pick up a ban for some kind of BJJ move when he plays again.
Stranger things have happened, grappling skills are actually taught at a few clubs as and quite a lot of RL clubs haveemployed "wrestling" coaches, it teaches players how to get into certain positions and how to use their opponents position to their advantage, that said if he trys a flying arm bar on someone he's getting banned :)

Doubt he'll get back into the England setup with Cole and Wilson ahead of him/the controversy behind his name
Fairplay for getting clean though, I guess

How much coke was in his system to warrant a 2 year ban?
I don't condone drug use, but Coke is no performance enhancer and surely its the job of the police to hand down sanctions for this not the rugby unions?

Between the drugs, bar fights and various arrests for players, Bath were getting quite the reputation a few years back. Thankfully it seems to have been curbed now.

Latest posts