• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stirling Mortlock joins Melbourne Rebels

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
Three years for a 32 year old is a bit long, isn't it?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26925725-5002381,00.html

Super 15 newcomers Melbourne Rebels have landed former Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock for their first three seasons in the competition.

Mortlock ended months of speculation about his playing future by joining coach Rod Macqueen at the new franchise.

The 32-year-old has knocked back a number of lucrative offers from French rugby clubs and hopes the move will aid his bid to be part of the Wallabies 2011 World Cup campaign.

According to the Herald Sun, Rebels officials are remaining tight-lipped in keeping with their policy of making announcements about the signing of players in-season in Australia low-key.

But they are quietly beaming after securing the services of the man Rebels coach Rod Macqueen nominated a high priority from day one.

Macqueen has long been an admirer of Mortlock ever since plucking him from club rugby at the age of 20 to tour with the Wallabies in 1997.

Mortlock also made his Wallabies debut in 2000, when Macqueen was national coach.

Despite reports however, its unlikely Mortlock would be the club's first captain.

Instead he is set to be used as a mentor for what could be a young squad of players, which is slowly coming together.

Really looking forward to the Rebels, just to see how the players click together

Possibly a bit long yes, but the Rebels know full well that they're going to be cack for at least the first seasons. He'll add a bit of experiance and help the younger lads around him.

Must admit I know full believe that Cipriani will benefit from his time with the Rebels. He will be playing with one of the greatest centres in the world.

Must admit I know full believe that Cipriani will benefit from his time with the Rebels. He will be playing with one of the greatest centres in the world.
Himself? (in his eyes, at least ;) )

Apparently he has a clause in his contract the enables him to take another role in the team other then as a player if he or his club feels he is not performing at the right level.

The melbourne rebels are really loading up. I think they might be quite competitive from the beginning unlike the Western Force was . However Mortlock , despite being a great player is past his prime and do not think he will be part of the Australian team next year in the world cup. I wish him well and hope, he does prove me wrong and enjoys few more good campaigns with the Rebels in that stunning new stadium in Melbourne.

Latest posts