• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Storm found guilty of breaching Salary Cap

Sneaki

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
The National Rugby League has today stripped the Melbourne Storm of the 2007 and 2009 Telstra Premierships, the Minor Premierships of 2006-8 and of its 2010 competition points after confirming a series of salary cap breaches amounting to at least $1.7million over five years.

The club will lose all competition points earned to date in 2010 and also the right to accumulate points going forward in 2010 (competition tables will record wins and losses but the club will not be awarded competition points on the basis of any wins). These measures are effective as of today.

The club has furthermore been fined $500,000 and will be forced to return $1.1million in prize-money with the prize-money being distributed evenly among the other fifteen clubs.

Individual awards by players will continue to be recognised but records will be adjusted to show that the Premiership is not recognised even though the result cannot be overturned. Neither Manly nor Parramatta will assume the Premiership ***les in their respective years.

The Storm’s Chairman and Chief Executive met with the NRL in Sydney today to confirm the extent of the breaches uncovered by NRL Salary Cap Auditor Ian Schubert and his audit team.

The investigations have revealed the Storm maintained a dual contract system and the club has today confirmed that side letters promising extra payments were stored in a secret file at the home of the Chief Executive.

The accounts were structured in such a way that it would appear the commitments were not apparent to either the Melbourne Storm Board or its owners.

The NRL has uncovered breaches estimated to be in excess of $1.7million over five years, around $400,000 in 2009 and with a projected breach of $700,000 in 2010.

“While the amount itself is cause for concern, the most damning indictment is the systematic attempt by persons within the club to conceal payments from the Salary Cap auditor and, it would now seem certain from the club’s Board and from its owners, on an ongoing basis,†Mr Gallop said.

“It was through this system that they were able to attract and retain some of the biggest names in Rugby League.

“In doing so they have let down the game, the players and the fans of the Melbourne Storm.

“Clearly there were some individuals who knew what was going on and perhaps many who did not.

“By nature, that means innocent parties will suffer as a result of this punishment but the persons responsible are those who constructed the scheme and anyone who knowingly signed a false statutory declaration to deceive the game.

“It would be unfair now on the players and fans of every other club in the competition to allow the Storm to enter this year’s finals series or to retain the ***les they won.

“As a game we will do all we can to restore the faith of each of those parties but there is no alternative now but to deal with the situation that has been so deliberately engineered.

“As was the case with Canterbury after 2002, the only other instance in which we have seen such an elaborate and contrived set of accounts, there is the chance for the club to begin a rebuilding process with the fans and the game by the way it conducts itself in the weeks and months ahead.

“A significant step in that process has been the way the Melbourne Board has reacted to the information the Salary Cap team tabled this week.

“Rather than look to conceal the activities, the Board has cooperated fully and we have been informed that the club’s owners, News Limited, have now ordered a full forensic examination of all club accounts.

“It should be pointed out that, as owners of the club, News Limited has only been made aware of the investigation in recent days.

“Ian Schubert and his assistant Jamie L’Oste Brown have been collecting information in relation to this process for some time and their commitment to that process deserves considerable respect.

“Salary cap investigation is among the most difficult and in many ways least rewarding roles in the game but, despite the thoughts of some critics, there is universal acceptance of the importance of the cap and of the contribution it has made to the most successful era in the game’s history.

“In truth, this issue is not so much about the Salary Cap but the simple reality of cheating the rules as they stand at any time. Everyone knew the rules, particularly after 2002.

“This investigation has relied on detailed reviews of accounts as well as evidence from informants.

“It is a reminder to everyone who wishes to test the rules that there is every likelihood the truth will emerge in time and that the consequences will be severe at that point.â€
Wow, very harsh punishment, they're now certain to be in last place the entire season. But essentially they were cheating to keep their best players away from other clubs, which is pretty disappointing from a professional club.

This is the beginning of big changes to the NRL as it is now.

Still shocked, such a megaton announcement.

This is the beginning of big changes to the NRL as it is now.

Still shocked, such a megaton announcement.

I think they've got what they deserved. If it happened to my favourite team (the Sharks), I'd feel exactly the same. Above all the financial impact and ***les, they should literally be ashamed of themselves (those who knew) and removal of the previous ***les is nothing short of fitting.

I feel sorry for the Melbourne supporters though. They didn't know of or deserve this.

The troubling thing is the Storm CEO who must have overseen these illegal dealings is now at the Rebels.

Right now, there will be a number of NRL Club CEOs ******** their pants.

Anyone who thinks this type of thing is restricted to the Melbourne Storm is living in La-la Land.

The troubling thing is the Storm CEO who must have overseen these illegal dealings is now at the Rebels.

I echo that sentiment eric.

The fact that News Limited OWNS the Melbourne Storm and are the major backers of Super 14/15 is also a bit of a worry. I hope like Hell that News Limited were not involved in any way, shape or form!!

I'm sure questions will be asked at the rebels now or in the near future, unwanted news for a new team thats for sure

massive news and a huge shock to the game of rugby league

The fact that News Limited OWNS the Melbourne Storm and are the major backers of Super 14/15 is also a bit of a worry. I hope like Hell that News Limited were not involved in any way, shape or form!!

Statement taken from The Australian.

John Hartigan, chairman of News Ltd, publisher of The Australian, said several administrators involved in the fraudulent behaviour had been sacked.

"News doesn't tolerate behaviour like this. I feel sick to my stomach," Hartigan said. "While the penalties are unprecedented, I believe they are warranted."

Right now, there will be a number of NRL Club CEOs ******** their pants.

Anyone who thinks this type of thing is restricted to the Melbourne Storm is living in La-la Land.

I echo that sentiment eric.

Well I certainly don't think they are alone. It's obvious that in an ultra-competitive financial environment teams will be under a lot of pressure to succumb to this kind of thing. In my opinion it won't be everyone thoiugh, far more likely to be another 2-3 guilty parties, burning the evidence (or passing it onto someone elses hands) as we speak.

Still I agree the News Limited link is a real worry.

Haha, i have no idea, i always clicked on the face rather than type it in :p
It looked kind of like this: ihs_p_shsm..jpg

Statement taken from The Australian.
John Hartigan, chairman of News Ltd, publisher of The Australian, said several administrators involved in the fraudulent behaviour had been sacked.

“News doesn't tolerate behaviour like this. I feel sick to my stomach,†Hartigan said. “While the penalties are unprecedented, I believe they are warranted.â€

"He doth protest too much, methinks!!"

Does it occur to anyone that News Limited owns the Melbourne Storm outright and have made no secret of the fact that they want another investor to buy the Club. Could Hartigan's anger be more related to that fact that his million dollar investment is worthless at the moment and the entire club is liable to go ***s-up!

And now the success of melborne unravels. It looks extremely complicated how it all works, becasue alot of clubs that play under a salary cap use 3rd partys to pay their players (something like if a brand were to put $X to player Y if they are in a ad for them in Z team colours) which as far as im aware is all good. but very harsh punishment, and rightly deserved. Such as the cheif said, after the 'dogs salary cap, which lost them the ***le, and then a hicup at the warriors, there is no mistakes left. then to do it by as much, and as long as they did, no pitty from me. the club gets what it deserves. The clubs going to go under surely. from what i understand VIC is very much a aussie rules state, and with the rebels coming through there isnt any room for a unsuccessful team.

And it shows how much a cap is needed really. A team like the storm who currently have greats like slater, cronk, smith and the list goes on, then compare it to a team like the cowboys who have... thrustun. whos injured and all they do is lose.

kick them out
it was deliberate and by all means they did everything they could to keep it from audit
a dodgy scheme to cheat rugby league, bring the code into disrepute for the sake of success
kick them out, victoria doesnt deserve a league team, this is proof - they have been in 4 GF in 4 years, they still get crap crowds, the code is not for Victoria - they have AFL and that will never change.
I feel sorry or the fans and players that never knew, but fark me for the sake of the game bring back the bears, and give it to a community that actually cherishes rugby league, its rules, its fairness and balance beam called the salary cap

Waldron is a grub, has resigned from the Rebels already........i hope it goes to court, and all is found out, it has ruined rugby leagus record books and history, what an effing disgrace, this is the biggest scandal in australian sporting history!!

kick them out
it was deliberate and by all means they did everything they could to keep it from audit
a dodgy scheme to cheat rugby league, bring the code into disrepute for the sake of success
kick them out, victoria doesnt deserve a league team, this is proof - they have been in 4 GF in 4 years, they still get crap crowds, the code is not for Victoria - they have AFL and that will never change.
I feel sorry or the fans and players that never knew, but fark me for the sake of the game bring back the bears, and give it to a community that actually cherishes rugby league, its rules, its fairness and balance beam called the salary cap

Waldron is a grub, has resigned from the Rebels already........i hope it goes to court, and all is found out, it has ruined rugby leagus record books and history, what an effing disgrace, this is the biggest scandal in australian sporting history!!

LAUGH OUT LOUD

Seriously, a Raiders fan going on about ruining the leagues record books and history? You still haven't given back the premierships you rorted your way to in the late 80's and 90's.

And it shows how much a cap is needed really. A team like the storm who currently have greats like slater, cronk, smith and the list goes on, then compare it to a team like the cowboys who have... thrustun. whos injured and all they do is lose.

Yeah, it's the Storms fault for unearthing those players when they are 17 and developing them into the stubs they are today. We should feel sorry for everyone else who are too stupid to find these players themselves and punish the Storm.

I feel there needs to be a cap, but there should be an NBA style system where you get cap benefits for getting a raw young player and turning him into a star. It isn't like the Storm went out and went bat-**** crazy signing established Origin players like a Rugby League version of Chelsea.

Last edited:
LAUGH OUT LOUD

Seriously, a Raiders fan going on about ruining the leagues record books and history? You still haven't given back the premierships you rorted your way to in the late 80's and 90's.QUOTE]

we were punished and fined accordingly, move on sour grapes, just because the punishment is harsher today doesnt change a thing.
1989 is still regarded as the pinnacle of all grand finals, penrith and the broncos who also won in that era were also punished and fined accordingly for the same discretions.

The extent of the storms antics in todays rules and regulations absolutely smashes what was done in the 90's by any team and probably all teams combined from that era.

As stated this is the biggest farce in the australian sporting history

LAUGH OUT LOUD

Seriously, a Raiders fan going on about ruining the leagues record books and history? You still haven't given back the premierships you rorted your way to in the late 80's and 90's.QUOTE]

we were punished and fined accordingly, move on sour grapes, just because the punishment is harsher today doesnt change a thing.
1989 is still regarded as the pinnacle of all grand finals, penrith and the broncos who also won in that era were also punished and fined accordingly for the same discretions.

The extent of the storms antics in todays rules and regulations absolutely smashes what was done in the 90's by any team and probably all teams combined from that era.

As stated this is the biggest farce in the australian sporting history

Give them back? Hell, I don't think the Storm GAVE back their ***les either. I'm sick of revisionist history and people crying foul about long, long, long dead issues (especially in this country, where shaming our past is a indigenous pass-time). Beer used to be cheaper too, but I'm not going to get far arguing that to the publican.

The penalties were what they were back then. I remember my Sharkies suffered a bit at the hands of those big guns in the late 80's and early 90's and hearing the penalties against them was like listening to the sound of a wet bus-ticket being manufactured. Still, that's the way it was. Let's deal with issues of today.

Latest posts