• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Strange binding in scrum

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I'm watching the local national tournament (Malaysia) and saw some peculiar things happening.

One that stands out the most is the no. 8 binding behind the blindside flanker and the left lock; different than the usual bind behind the two locks (both side of the scrum does it) this may be a method to hold off a strong tighthead but pretty doubtful of this.

What are your thoughts on this?

There are traditionally two different hooking channels: 1 and 2.

The number 8 was bound onto channel 2 because you aren't technically allowed to change your binding during the scrum, although it rarely happens anyway because most modern hookers can barely hook, let alone specify a channel.

There are traditionally two different hooking channels: 1 and 2.

The number 8 was bound onto channel 2 because you aren't technically allowed to change your binding during the scrum, although it rarely happens anyway because most modern hookers can barely hook, let alone specify a channel.

Channel? Clarify please.

Channel? Clarify please.

the path the ball takes through the scrum after it's been hooked. Channel one, straight to the back of the Scrum (the traditional position of your numebr 8), channel two to the right/left of the traditional number 8 bind.

I see. I meant that the number 8 binds between the blindside and left lock right from the start but the ball comes out of the scrum in between the locks. Then either the scrum half picks up the ball normally or the number 8 unbinds and picks up the ball from his initial position when it comes out the back which I think prevents him from getting to the ball quickly and effectively.

Latest posts