• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

It needs a better advantage system too... The one in 08 was... horrendous....

1. More varied Lineout options (so that having a tall, jumping blindside flank for example could be a good tactical move, as it gives you another jumper)
2. More varied Set Play options

^ Perhaps a "Play Creator" tool for both Set plays (off rucks and scrums) and for lineout configurations

3. The ability to tee up a set play off a Lineout
4. Weather options for every stadium (rain/sun/overcast/day/night for every stadium).
5. In built player editor, or roster updates. In built roster management (being able to edit all options on all players) would be very good (as seen in all the Madden NFL games). This also improves replayability, as the default Difficulty levels can only challenge people for so long, before editing the roster to make it more realistic is needed.
6. Online play, there would need to be an updated set of "Official" rosters for use in online play, obviously
7. More defensive patterns (at the moment there is tight/normal/wide/kick - perhaps add some more such as Rush/Drift/Man for Man/Gang Tackle/etc)
8. Add an offensive pattern selecter in (say, to be able to decide whether you often have a pod of 3-4 forwards hanging around midfield, or whether you want your blind side Winger to be hanging around the inside channel off the flyhalf etc etc).
9. More accurate roster work (dont make a small openside flanker or an inside centre, no matter how good they are, Stronger than a 115kg+ number 8 or prop)

Thats what I can think of for now.

also - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure its also for PC (not only console....)

Last edited:
Suggestions:

Man of the Match Award (end of each match)
'Save Your Try' Feature- RATE the tries ONLINE like Singstar
Tournaments- Magners League, Guinness Premiership, Super 14, French Championship, IRB 7's, Four Nations/Tri Nations, Lions!
Heineken Cup- choice of different Pools over the years instead of the same one every time.
Coach/Manage a Team for a Season (including training sessions, player selection meetings and dressing room halftime talks) Transfers/Pre-Season. Manager Mode like FIFA
Online Gameplay Features/Update Teams
Commentators- Choice of Southern Hemisphere or Northern Hemisphere (Jonathan Davies, Eddie Buttler, Brian Moore- for Comedy Factor)
Choose the Referee for each match
When you play against a team with a good kicker you should be able to drop your wings and FB further back instead of 10 metres
Create your own set-plays
Unlockable Legends- Gareth Edwards, Lomu etc
Classic XV & World XV or Southern Hemisphere XV v Northern Hemisphere XV
Create your Own Team

(copy pasted fromother thread-sorry for ranty feel)...

why, when I put brian odriscoll on the wing, can he not catch for s**t? he's like one of the best players in the world.

why is there only like two tackle graphics? ever play madden? they have like a hundred variations! hit stick come onnnn!

also; incomprehensible rucking, no mauling, like two variations on lineouts, literally pointless scrums, passing (generally), overlaps (generally), releasing from tackles (endless and undefendable), breaking tackles (or not), no group tackles, picking up off the floor and diving on the ball sometimes looks like a retarded person looking for a contact lens, the fact that dan carter and parisse are way better than their 08 stats along with a thousand other players, the fact that running plays is completely pointless against anyone other than the computer, the fact that sometimes when i go to dive over for a try i punt the ball a mile instead, impossible drop goals, grubbers that take a lifetime and seriously always end up in a knock on, box kicking or not, no pick and goes, forwards who routinely get lamped by any backs...

...no feel, no superstar mode, no depth, no manager type role, terrible graphics, terrible commentary (powerful surge anyone?), no licensing, camera angles that mean I actually cant see myself score a try until the replay, the fact that shaun perry was once a fat fijian centre, and pierre spies has fly half as one of his positions, delon armitage is 4 foot and slower than my nan, george smith appears to be god himself and moral and form have actually no impact at all on the performance of the player...

...no choice as of team in world league, useless GP mode (one season!?), whole game is far too easy, no intercepts (other than those stupid ones that offer no advantage at all and almost always get turned over staight away anyway) teams/players cant improve in any way or gel as a team over time, there is no aspect of balance in a team (just arbitrary "partnerships")...

(copy pasted fromother thread-sorry for ranty feel)...

why, when I put brian odriscoll on the wing, can he not catch for s**t? he's like one of the best players in the world.

why is there only like two tackle graphics? ever play madden? they have like a hundred variations! hit stick come onnnn!

also; incomprehensible rucking, no mauling, like two variations on lineouts, literally pointless scrums, passing (generally), overlaps (generally), releasing from tackles (endless and undefendable), breaking tackles (or not), no group tackles, picking up off the floor and diving on the ball sometimes looks like a retarded person looking for a contact lens, the fact that dan carter and parisse are way better than their 08 stats along with a thousand other players, the fact that running plays is completely pointless against anyone other than the computer, the fact that sometimes when i go to dive over for a try i punt the ball a mile instead, impossible drop goals, grubbers that take a lifetime and seriously always end up in a knock on, box kicking or not, no pick and goes, forwards who routinely get lamped by any backs...

...no feel, no superstar mode, no depth, no manager type role, terrible graphics, terrible commentary (powerful surge anyone?), no licensing, camera angles that mean I actually cant see myself score a try until the replay, the fact that shaun perry was once a fat fijian centre, and pierre spies has fly half as one of his positions, delon armitage is 4 foot and slower than my nan, george smith appears to be god himself and moral and form have actually no impact at all on the performance of the player...

...no choice as of team in world league, useless GP mode (one season!?), whole game is far too easy, no intercepts (other than those stupid ones that offer no advantage at all and almost always get turned over staight away anyway) teams/players cant improve in any way or gel as a team over time, there is no aspect of balance in a team (just arbitrary "partnerships")...

I can sum up part of the problem by referring to one thing you said above "ever play Madden". I swear I think I'm going to despair if I hear too many more Madden comparisons. Why are there so many animations, so well done in Madden? Well, that franchise is a huge market, which has been going since 1992 and sells far more than Rugby will have in it's last four editions EVERY YEAR. They have the budget to do almost whatever they like.

If I had $1000, and you had $50, who's going to buy the best clothes? Similar problem.

I think we're best to focus on picking the odd little thing out of Madden feature-wise and saying "that'd be nice", rather than complaining and comparing the two. I think the Rugby games improved sharply from Rugby 2004, Rugby '05 to Rugby '06. Rugby '08 was a bit of a sideways step in quality, but in general if HB make the same level of improvement as there was in their first three goes, then we'll have plenty to be content about.

please make sure that the producers take time when doiing the players appearance, in 08 tons of players looked the same, some players were made twice, some players had the exact same stats, some details are completly wrong e.g country so PLEASE dont be lazy this time, take your time when doing it. Also on 08, when editing rosters, it took FOREVER to get to the bottom of the list to find a fullback, to cut time, you could have a search engine for players :)

I can sum up part of the problem by referring to one thing you said above "ever play Madden". I swear I think I'm going to despair if I hear too many more Madden comparisons. Why are there so many animations, so well done in Madden? Well, that franchise is a huge market, which has been going since 1992 and sells far more than Rugby will have in it's last four editions EVERY YEAR. They have the budget to do almost whatever they like.

If I had $1000, and you had $50, who's going to buy the best clothes? Similar problem.

I think we're best to focus on picking the odd little thing out of Madden feature-wise and saying "that'd be nice", rather than complaining and comparing the two. I think the Rugby games improved sharply from Rugby 2004, Rugby '05 to Rugby '06. Rugby '08 was a bit of a sideways step in quality, but in general if HB make the same level of improvement as there was in their first three goes, then we'll have plenty to be content about.

fair point, however dont you feel that as the games have alreay been made, that they can be added to? surely it cant be that hard? Im not talking about new technology here, madden 08 is great, a few years old, and on ps2. we wil lbe at least three years on, on ps3, and we cant match that?!

back to the game, basically it needs to be much, much more difficult, i mean almost unfair. I dont want to play the all blacks with london irish and win. ever. I want to see big number 8s bulldozing through 3 men gang tackles and pulling 4 men over for a close range try. I want to have stiff arm, with winger on winger wrestling for the try line at full speed, mud flying everywhere, crowd on their feet. I want to see huge arcing runs and sidesteps that dont jump into pre recorded animations, crash ball that commits a couple of men to a ruck, I want to smell the damn mud! (perhaps a liitle far)

just make it rugby. muddy, cold, painful, bloody. dont be over clever, please just make it good, and if it cant be good, make it realistic! I dont care, i will literally pay for myself to fly to wherever HB studios are to give them ideas and test the game.

after madden 08 on ps2 I bought madden 10 on ps3, for some reason the game play is sluggish, with graphics completely overtaking gameplay, everything is slightly delayed, and it feels as though you have little control. To get the impact and crunch that you want from a rugby game, there has to be snappy and responsive controls, not delayed, slow and laboured movement. I think everyone on here would in the long run rather have slightly lesser graphics and more gameplay, better modes, more depth.

I love the superstar mode, thats where the real longevity is, add in a bit of blackout rugby (player exchange online! training and selling players for money!), a pinch of tiger woods 10 (practising with your player), a healthy dollop of rugby 04 (just because I love that game despite its rubbishness-gritty stuff) and it cant go wrong...

fair point, however dont you feel that as the games have alreay been made, that they can be added to? surely it cant be that hard? Im not talking about new technology here, madden 08 is great, a few years old, and on ps2. we wil lbe at least three years on, on ps3, and we cant match that?!

back to the game, basically it needs to be much, much more difficult, i mean almost unfair. I dont want to play the all blacks with london irish and win. ever. I want to see big number 8s bulldozing through 3 men gang tackles and pulling 4 men over for a close range try. I want to have stiff arm, with winger on winger wrestling for the try line at full speed, mud flying everywhere, crowd on their feet. I want to see huge arcing runs and sidesteps that dont jump into pre recorded animations, crash ball that commits a couple of men to a ruck, I want to smell the damn mud! (perhaps a liitle far)

just make it rugby. muddy, cold, painful, bloody. dont be over clever, please just make it good, and if it cant be good, make it realistic! I dont care, i will literally pay for myself to fly to wherever HB studios are to give them ideas and test the game.

after madden 08 on ps2 I bought madden 10 on ps3, for some reason the game play is sluggish, with graphics completely overtaking gameplay, everything is slightly delayed, and it feels as though you have little control. To get the impact and crunch that you want from a rugby game, there has to be snappy and responsive controls, not delayed, slow and laboured movement. I think everyone on here would in the long run rather have slightly lesser graphics and more gameplay, better modes, more depth.

I love the superstar mode, thats where the real longevity is, add in a bit of blackout rugby (player exchange online! training and selling players for money!), a pinch of tiger woods 10 (practising with your player), a healthy dollop of rugby 04 (just because I love that game despite its rubbishness-gritty stuff) and it cant go wrong...

Now this post I can agree with! Hard, fast running rugby with a very challenging difficulty. That would be great. I think if the game itself is made well, that's what we'll all remember. If there is a lot of customisation, some new stats and accurate players, online play, all the major tournaments, online play, HD quality graphics and a well and truly challenging difficulty on the higher levels, then I'm sure we'll all be pretty happy.

Now this post I can agree with! Hard, fast running rugby with a very challenging difficulty. That would be great. I think if the game itself is made well, that's what we'll all remember. If there is a lot of customisation, some new stats and accurate players, online play, all the major tournaments, online play, HD quality graphics and a well and truly challenging difficulty on the higher levels, then I'm sure we'll all be pretty happy.

well said.

That's a great idea having a search engine. Perhaps they could search a players name, position or search for a specific team as it is very time consuming.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how they could improve the World Cup Challenge Mode?
I thought it was pretty good concept.
Maybe they could introduce Unlockable Legends such as Gareth Edwards, Lomu that you could put in your own created team?

when you have won a competion, please do not make the presentation like fifa, keep it the same as 08, but tweak it slightly so you can get more out of it

and sorry, i would just like to add, create your number 1 fan, they did it on one of the madden games, which i really liked, i would like to see this :)

If only the IRB would help finance such a project, to help spread rugby's popularity....
Who's good at writing letters??

Great news!

I'd say that the player 'form' thing should be continued but perhaps taken even further so that its the main point influencing who you pick for a position is form rather than base rating. For example in pro evo if an awesome player has a red downwards arrow you just wouldn't play him. I think in rugby 08 the fact that for example Joe Worsley has a rating of 89 means you probably should pick him all the time.

Other points:

1) More dynamism with forward battles which really reflect how many forwards you've got competing. As much as I like 08 its frustrating when you should be able to turn the ball over but your forwards kindly wait for the opposition forwards to arrive before competing!
2) As people have been saying, we need a complete 'season' mode with different competitions simultaneously for example the magners league and the heineken cup. and transfers are really important, between wherever, england and france, northern and southern hemispheres.
3) lions tour
4) Licenses please

Oh yeah, and need to make the actual scoring of the try more responsive to commands, for example in a tight situation players will lesiurely try and put the ball down and then the defenders will come steaming in and tackle you over the dead ball line, bit frustrating.

Moves to beat opposite man need to be more on the fly - eg Madden - ie, you can step left or right and it is not predetermined whether you will get tackled or not like in rugby 06 and 08.

I think the importance of a realistic physics engine has become SO apparent of late - Madden could not have recieved much more criticism for its canned animations and unrealistic physics engine which allows smaller players to bulldoze larger ones and break through gang tackles. We do NOT want our rugby game to head in the same direction, and it should be sorted out NOW for this generation of rugby games, on which we can build in the future, and not have a lacklustre engine which will be built upon in a piecemeal fashion in the coming months.

It should also go without saying that for this generation, not having online play is financial suicide and is an absolute MUST for this game.

Quick tap penalties have to work MUCH better - they have to be QUICK and not have to wait for opposition to retreat.

A multitude of tackle animations is also key.

I really like the idea for more running moves, the lack of attacking weapons and lack of animations was a real weakness in the previous games.
Building on your suggestions i would like to see the L2 button being a "power button" that modifys the type of moves available, so;

In Attack

*The right stick would be for elusive manouvers;
-Move the stick to the left= Quick step to the left
-Move the stick to the right = Quick step to the right
-Move the stick left then right = Pronounced step to the right (A players left and right legs would be mapped to the stick (like in madden), so the move would be move fluid and specific to the tempo of how you moved the stick than in previous games where there was just one animation)
-Move the stick right then left = Pronounced step to the right
-Move the stick back = Stutter/Goose step
-Move the stick forward = hop/jump (this could be used to jump over fallen players, in conjunction with a sidestep, or to avoid an ankletap from behind)

You would also then be able to produce combos if you had the right timing and a player with a high enough agility/ elusiveness rating, so if you were to push the stick up, then right, then left, this would happen

*If you then hold down the L2 button, the stick would be for power manouvers;

-Move the stick to the left = quick fend to the left
-Move the stick to the right = quick fend to the right
-Move the stick left then right = Drop the shoulder to the right (like rupeni does at 2:47 in this clip)
-Move the stick right then left = Drop the shoulder to the left
-Move the stick back = Head down and leg drive (This was seriously lacking from the last couple of games, its a staple move)
-Move the stick forward = Lomu style bunt

If you got good enough at the game, you would eventually be able to string together combinations of both power and evasion moves; steping to the outside and fending for instance.

In Defence
I see there being three main types of tackles; normal tackles, ballwinning tackles and power tackles.

-Normal tackles are just performed by running into the attacker, these would hardly ever turn the ball over.

-Fetcher tackles would turn over the ball, once a fetcher type tackle is performed, the defender gets to their feet and will turnover the ball unless the attacker has support players to ruck the ball. If not performed correctly it has a chance of missing however and you could get penalised for hands on the ground.

-Power tackles would halt the momentum of the attacking team and have a chance of jarring the ball loose. If not performed correctly It has a chance of missing however and you could get penalised for a high tackle.

*The right stick would by default be for fetcher type tackles,

You would have to line the attacker up to tackle them,
-If the attacker is infront of you, you move the stick forward to tackle them.
-If they step to your right, you move the stick to the right to tackle them
ect..
-Move the stick in the opposite direction to the attacker = attempt to put the attacker to ground without leaving your feet and go straight for the ball (If performed properly, its the quickest and most effective way to turn over the ball. If you get the stick direction or timing wrong, or if the player isnt skilled enough, it is an easy tackle to break. You could also get penalised or yellow carded for not releasing)

*If you hold down the L2 button, it would become a power tackle stick.

You would have to line up the attacker much like the fetcher tackle.

If the attacker is directly infront of you, move the stick forward
ect..

If you move the stick in the opposite direction to the attacker = Lift and slam tackle (This tackle is very likely to knock the ball loose or injure the attacker if performed correctly. If the timing or stick direction is off or the player isnt skilled enough, then its an easy tackle to break. If poorly performed it could become a spear tackle, resulting in a penalty or yellow card.)

* In order for these to work properly, the default view would have to be front on, like in Madden. My biggest problem with the rugby series was that the veiws were side on. ITS NOT SOCCER, you cant see holes opening up in a defensive line from the side. The view has to be front on widescreen for attack and defence.

Loving these ideas Totally agree with the above :D :D HB TAKE NOTE :D :D (get this person on your team!!)

combine the above with the below (1.30 onwards - running game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h-9lkqRIKU

no "pre determined" animations - on the fly collisions. could nick that idea, spend a load of cash and we'd have a massively awsesome looking game :p :p
(I can only wish!!!)

I really like the idea for more running moves, the lack of attacking weapons and lack of animations was a real weakness in the previous games.
Building on your suggestions i would like to see the L2 button being a "power button" that modifys the type of moves available, so;

In Attack

*The right stick would be for elusive manouvers;
-Move the stick to the left= Quick step to the left
-Move the stick to the right = Quick step to the right
-Move the stick left then right = Pronounced step to the right (A players left and right legs would be mapped to the stick (like in madden), so the move would be move fluid and specific to the tempo of how you moved the stick than in previous games where there was just one animation)
-Move the stick right then left = Pronounced step to the right
-Move the stick back = Stutter/Goose step
-Move the stick forward = hop/jump (this could be used to jump over fallen players, in conjunction with a sidestep, or to avoid an ankletap from behind)

You would also then be able to produce combos if you had the right timing and a player with a high enough agility/ elusiveness rating, so if you were to push the stick up, then right, then left, this would happen

*If you then hold down the L2 button, the stick would be for power manouvers;

-Move the stick to the left = quick fend to the left
-Move the stick to the right = quick fend to the right
-Move the stick left then right = Drop the shoulder to the right (like rupeni does at 2:47 in this clip)
-Move the stick right then left = Drop the shoulder to the left
-Move the stick back = Head down and leg drive (This was seriously lacking from the last couple of games, its a staple move)
-Move the stick forward = Lomu style bunt

If you got good enough at the game, you would eventually be able to string together combinations of both power and evasion moves; steping to the outside and fending for instance.

In Defence
I see there being three main types of tackles; normal tackles, ballwinning tackles and power tackles.

-Normal tackles are just performed by running into the attacker, these would hardly ever turn the ball over.

-Fetcher tackles would turn over the ball, once a fetcher type tackle is performed, the defender gets to their feet and will turnover the ball unless the attacker has support players to ruck the ball. If not performed correctly it has a chance of missing however and you could get penalised for hands on the ground.

-Power tackles would halt the momentum of the attacking team and have a chance of jarring the ball loose. If not performed correctly It has a chance of missing however and you could get penalised for a high tackle.

*The right stick would by default be for fetcher type tackles,

You would have to line the attacker up to tackle them,
-If the attacker is infront of you, you move the stick forward to tackle them.
-If they step to your right, you move the stick to the right to tackle them
ect..
-Move the stick in the opposite direction to the attacker = attempt to put the attacker to ground without leaving your feet and go straight for the ball (If performed properly, its the quickest and most effective way to turn over the ball. If you get the stick direction or timing wrong, or if the player isnt skilled enough, it is an easy tackle to break. You could also get penalised or yellow carded for not releasing)

*If you hold down the L2 button, it would become a power tackle stick.

You would have to line up the attacker much like the fetcher tackle.

If the attacker is directly infront of you, move the stick forward
ect..

If you move the stick in the opposite direction to the attacker = Lift and slam tackle (This tackle is very likely to knock the ball loose or injure the attacker if performed correctly. If the timing or stick direction is off or the player isnt skilled enough, then its an easy tackle to break. If poorly performed it could become a spear tackle, resulting in a penalty or yellow card.)

* In order for these to work properly, the default view would have to be front on, like in Madden. My biggest problem with the rugby series was that the veiws were side on. ITS NOT SOCCER, you cant see holes opening up in a defensive line from the side. The view has to be front on widescreen for attack and defence.

If HB were only to read a few posts, this should definitely be in there

Last edited:
Star Players!
Its a great idea and should stay but dont keep the same people as before, like corleto or lathem arnt star players anymore and gregan and larkham have had it. I would say possibly include players like Spies and have some stars in the tight five as in rugby 08 there were none

And make it a bit harder aswell and brian o'driscoll needs some serious down grading. Its all to easy with him

Latest posts