• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

* Revamped passing. You can't really do last second passes right before you get tackled, you have to pass a few meters before...

* Revamped fending and sidestep, it's a bit hard to anticipate where the full back is to do it, unless you change camera view...

* Fully customizable player profile and attributes, playing positions. This could be done with patches released to update players stats etc...

* Better player likeness models, there are some players that don't even look like them on Rugby 08. Steven Brett is white on Rugby 08!

* When you do a short kick off and if you don't make it in time to jump for the ball, your player will tackle the opposition jumper in midair which results in you getting penalised. You need to be able to pull out of the tackle instead of automatically doing it...

* Chip kick button!!!

* Easier dummys passes!

* When a player places the ball down for a try while standing in Rugby 08. Then the video cut scene plays in which he gets up from the ground as if he did a diving try, but he didn't... This needs fixing as it's just odd...

* Revamped passing. You can't really do last second passes right before you get tackled, you have to pass a few meters before...

* Revamped fending and sidestep, it's a bit hard to anticipate where the full back is to do it, unless you change camera view...

* Fully customizable player profile and attributes, playing positions. This could be done with patches released to update players stats etc...

* Better player likeness models, there are some players that don't even look like them on Rugby 08. Steven Brett is white on Rugby 08!

* When you do a short kick off and if you don't make it in time to jump for the ball, your player will tackle the opposition jumper in midair which results in you getting penalised. You need to be able to pull out of the tackle instead of automatically doing it...

* Chip kick button!!!

* Easier dummys passes!

* When a player places the ball down for a try while standing in Rugby 08. Then the video cut scene plays in which he gets up from the ground as if he did a diving try, but he didn't... This needs fixing as it's just odd...

I think if HB ran with the previous idea for kicking where the buttons just modified the type of kick the right stick produced, then you wouldnt need a chip kick button. You could just press the bomb button to change the right stick to that kind of kick, then pull the stick back and forward only a quarter of the way.

This would obviously be very hard to pull off, but a chip kick is the hardest kick to accurately perform in rugby too.

I think if HB ran with the previous idea for kicking where the buttons just modified the type of kick the right stick produced, then you wouldnt need a chip kick button. You could just press the bomb button to change the right stick to that kind of kick, then pull the stick back and forward only a quarter of the way.

This would obviously be very hard to pull off, but a chip kick is the hardest kick to accurately perform in rugby too.

Aiming down the field with the left stick, then swinging the right stick backwards then forward whilst pushing a face button would be pretty near impossible. Also the back and forward swing works in Tiger Woods only because no-one is charging down Tiger's drive if he doesn't hit it in under 3 seconds. Personally kicking could be a mess if they used right stick for it.

Even if they made it so it did the action really quickly, what kind of accuracy would someone get from controlling two sticks and buttons all at once? It'd be like having to use the right stick to shoot at the goal in Fifa whilst holding down a button and aiming your player with the left.

Even if you only pushed x once to turn kicking on, then push it again to turn it off, rugby is a game where your mind is on your next move. Heaps of people will forget to turn kicking off their right stick and then wouldn't be able to fend/step when they need to 10 seconds later.

Aiming down the field with the left stick, then swinging the right stick backwards then forward whilst pushing a face button would be pretty near impossible. Also the back and forward swing works in Tiger Woods only because no-one is charging down Tiger's drive if he doesn't hit it in under 3 seconds. Personally kicking could be a mess if they used right stick for it.

Even if they made it so it did the action really quickly, what kind of accuracy would someone get from controlling two sticks and buttons all at once? It'd be like having to use the right stick to shoot at the goal in Fifa whilst holding down a button and aiming your player with the left.

Even if you only pushed x once to turn kicking on, then push it again to turn it off, rugby is a game where your mind is on your next move. Heaps of people will forget to turn kicking off their right stick and then wouldn't be able to fend/step when they need to 10 seconds later.

I dont intend for the face button needing to be held down. More of tap once to switch on, tap again to switch off system. Also, i dont see how the left stick would be an issue, i don't intend for the left stick to be used for aiming at all.
You pull the rightstick in the exact opposite of where you want to go, then forward to where you want it. No aiming neccessary. Just nudge the stick where you want the ball to go. It doesnt really matter what direction you are running, if you push the stick forward, no matter what way the player is facing, the ball goes straight downfield.

Also, with the charge-down issue, i see it as a massive improvement on the "hold the button down while the kick charges" system. Waiting while you charge a kick? that doesnt happen, if it was a stick system, you pull back all the way for a big kick, and half way for a average kick ect. This would make getting kicks off much quicker. Also, if you pull the stick back to begin a kick, then release it back to normal without pushing it forward at all, the kick is abandoned like in tigerwoods. This way if you are about to get charged down you could pull out of the animation.

As for people forgetting they turned the kicking on. There is obviously going to be a learning curve, but is that necessarily a bad thing? the last game was ridiculously easy. This way there would be a huge amount of skill involved.

Maybe the kick stick could be turned on or off based of the difficulty setting

I dont intend for the face button needing to be held down. More of tap once to switch on, tap again to switch off system. Also, i dont see how the left stick would be an issue, i don't intend for the left stick to be used for aiming at all.
You pull the rightstick in the exact opposite of where you want to go, then forward to where you want it. No aiming neccessary. Just nudge the stick where you want the ball to go. It doesnt really matter what direction you are running, if you push the stick forward, no matter what way the player is facing, the ball goes straight downfield.

Also, with the charge-down issue, i see it as a massive improvement on the "hold the button down while the kick charges" system. Waiting while you charge a kick? that doesnt happen, if it was a stick system, you pull back all the way for a big kick, and half way for a average kick ect. This would make getting kicks off much quicker. Also, if you pull the stick back to begin a kick, then release it back to normal without pushing it forward at all, the kick is abandoned like in tigerwoods. This way if you are about to get charged down you could pull out of the animation.

As for people forgetting they turned the kicking on. There is obviously going to be a learning curve, but is that necessarily a bad thing? the last game was ridiculously easy. This way there would be a huge amount of skill involved.

Maybe the kick stick could be turned on or off based of the difficulty setting

That fleshes your idea out a little better and I'm happy with that. Maybe an optional control method in that way would be good. :) I'm not saying I wouldn't use it though. I'm a good player and would relish trying something like that out. I was thinking of the more "new or average" player.

That fleshes your idea out a little better and I'm happy with that. Maybe an optional control method in that way would be good. :) I'm not saying I wouldn't use it though. I'm a good player and would relish trying something like that out. I was thinking of the more "new or average" player.

Yeah i think you would need to use default mode in the amateur and pro levels. But at elite level, if you think you are that good at the game, you should be able to handle that sort of system.
It would be hard to use, but once you got it down it would be alot more accurate and efficient.

* more competisions need to be added such as french top 14, italian top 14, japan top14, air new zealand cup, currie cup

* manager mode needs to be done like fifa but also have more options of teams like instead of just managing high teams you should also be able to go to some lower teams

* side step, fend and bunt needs to be revamped an make it a lot beter an realistic

* make the difficulty harder beacause its way to easy

* definitly put in a chip kick, would be awesome to run back as the fullback an pop a chip over the top an regain it for a awesome try

* create own tournement an teams

* better player stats an faces, you should be able to edit any plare an stats an change names incase there is no licence for the player or teams. maybe even bring back the base copy suff from rugby 2004???

* be a pro would be an awesome feature for this game but i think it would be hard to do beacuse of the fowards being different to the backs

* i also think there should be a hit stick feature instead of making the same old tackles every game

* take out the star system an just have ratings like fifa an plus the stars make every one else look dumb

* fix the kicking in the game, it should be based on there kicking stats on how well they kick. also every goal kicker should have their own style. if not you should be able to give them a style in player editor??

* better dummys

* have different buttons for ways to score. lyk x= dive or square= place down

* sort of have the same layout as fifa

i will try come up with some more ideas. am so happy this game is being made.
thanks hb studios for making the game, you guys have made heaps off ppl happy

* also have more option of gear wise in player editor. like have the real boots like fifa an other games an have more tape an sweetbands and stuff. better head gear. when creating a player it should look realistic. in rugby 08, when i created a player the head looked big an the nose would always look massive an it looked real fake. should be more options for hair an skin colour. maybe have a game face like fifa where you can put yourself in the game

What about a old boys option? or classic teams? something along the lines of BLIC/RPIC? i dont like how you unlock players, but some way of having classic team? I wouldnt mind if they didnt have unique faces or anything... off memory but this could be the only major rugby game without lomu?

Also, i know the Madden games do, not sure on others, but With player stats, they also have profiles. I know its would be alot of work getting them all right, but having previous teams played in?

Along with that, season/carrer stats, and only for when they have played in the game. such as kicking meters, tackles made, line breaks made etc. its good to see in a game like PES where you can see how a player has played. everything from shots on goal, passes, meters dribbled etc, and something like that put through to rugby would be all good.

Last edited:
When in the squad selection screen, they should have an actual photo of the player you currently have highlighted... Like in Rugby League Challenge...

rlcs.jpg

i do like the idea of having a player performance system like on rugby league where you can see how they have been playing an their form, how many tackles made an meters run ect... maybe have things in the such as club records an irb player of the year an man of the match??

Adding a Chip kick feature would be awesome. This could be done with a simple quick double-tap of the kick button. But like with skill-moves would need to be timed. Also only players with appropriate stats could pull it off. eg need high acceration, kicking, handling, attacking ability.

REMOVE the STAR PLAYERS from the game. Instead increase the amout of traits players are allowed to have (instead of just 3) plus include some new and extra special traits. Such as Big Kickers (F.Steyn), Fast Pace (Habana), Big Tackles (Polatu Nau). This would be great as players such as F.Steyn who might not deserve a star but are still able to kick the ball just as far as star players like Dan Carter, Wilkinson. It was one of the most frustrating aspects of the game for me. Some non-star players are just as quick as habana as well eg. Ngwenya.

Playing players out of position should not make them drop the ball as soon as they touch it. However: Player rating should co-incide with positions like on fifa. Eg Matt Giteau could be 90 at flyhalf, 98 at inside centre, 82 at fullback, wing would only be 70.

In world league you should be able to pick any team to begin with or it would be awesome to just be able to create your own team starting from div 3. Shouldnt be too hard to have a few stadium options, logo options at the start. It would also be good to be able to bid for any player in the game like in fifa.

For me Id like to see every so often an update to squad downloads, just to update the stats, nationalities, positions etc and all of these suggestions are taken from the community.

thats a brilliant idea. even have the ability to download new players in to teams an download new team rosters an attributes.

an being able to download things such as new boots, compression skins ect..

New Tournament's an comp's

what should be in the game tournaments wise??

* i think a decent managers mode like fifa
* british an irish lions tour
* tour a country oa a international calendar year
* create your own tournament
* french top 14, super 15, heiniken cup, italian top 14 an japan top 14 ect
* tri-nations an six nations
* world cup

Last edited:
i thought is was the itallian super 10 and im really don't thhink that the japan top 14 will be in the game becues it's just a bit obscure instead have the magners legue otherwise i think you have the right torunoments there.

i do like the idea of having a player performance system like on rugby league where you can see how they have been playing an their form, how many tackles made an meters run ect... maybe have things in the such as club records an irb player of the year an man of the match??

^This

I loved the stats in Madden 10, awesome to see the stats while your halfway through a tournament

im not sore about the italian leagues i jst guesed thm :)
it just makes the game bigger having more comps, look at fifa an how many difrnt comps r in there.
but thanks for your imput

it would be awesome to have a game where a player has their own season/games stats. its what makes the player great

Latest posts