• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer internationals 2024 - what is Scotland’s problem?

bonxie23

Academy Player
I notice that England are in New Zealand in the summer, wales in Australia and Ireland in SA. Looks like Scotland are heading to Argentina yet again or Fiji/tonga/samoa. That could possibly be a ranking point disaster. We never seem to get the big boys.

I notice that England are in New Zealand in the summer, wales in Australia and Ireland in SA. Looks like Scotland are heading to Argentina yet again or Fiji/tonga/samoa. That could possibly be a ranking point disaster. We never seem to get the big boys.
I think they avoid SA, New Zeland and Aus on the basis, players might prefer being at home and not return to Scotland.

Totally agree. But is there a deeper reason why the other three seem to always get the big three. Is it simply because of the three, Scotland are perceived to be the weakest as a playing side, but also as a financial pull

How is it a points ranking disaster? Scotland beating one of the top 3 away isn't highly likely so you'd be losing points, whilst beating the smaller nations will no doubt keep you up there

I know Scotland!!! In the World Cup Scotland's four matches didn't result in one single hundredth of a ranking point being exchanged. Two teams so far above and two teams so far below.

However this isn't really my point.

We all know the main reason we still don't get the 'big boy' tours is financial. I genuinely really like the fact that we consistently play either home or away against Tier 2 nations, especially in the Pacific Isles, and I would love to see more of the Tier 1 nations do the same. It's disappointing that Wales, in Australia this summer, are not hopping over to play one of Fiji/Samoa/Tonga, and England the same.

That being said, this is undoubtedly the best generation of players Scotland have had since the 1990s, and it is immensely disappointing to see it go by without one of these 3-game tours. From a developmental perspective, I do think it would help if we had experience of playing these big sides away from Murrayfield as it would put us in good stead for crunch World Cup matches where we have come up well short in the past two editions.

1718195037715.png

Delighted for Warr, even if I am annoyed he's not going to be in an England shirt

Hopefully Reed gets some game time this tour, his speed could run tier 2 defences ragged

Delighted for Warr, even if I am annoyed he's not going to be in an England shirt

Hopefully Reed gets some game time this tour, his speed could run tier 2 defences ragged
I'm hoping Reed will get good game time as I would have preferred Duhan to take a rest on this tour- there's nothing really for him to prove here. Very happy for Warr as well- I've refereed his brother for Bournemouth.

We're resting a fair few players so have had to dig deep in to the book of Scottish-qualified players.
At least he's a proper Scot (representing them at most age group levels) but he's behind the Fiji hooker which says a lot about the standard. But if Scotland rest players he may be the 4/5th choice.

Latest posts