• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

So whose out?
Sean Robinson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Jack Singleton (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)/Gabriel Oghre
Tom Willis (Wasps, uncapped)
Tom de Glanville (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish, uncapped)
Ben Spencer (Bath Rugby, 4 caps)

Some mad calls there
Spencer> Randall (and Mitchell)
OHC > Bassett (as in Sleightholme should have replaced Bassett)
Willis is the only dedicated 8 in the squad
TdG > Furbank

I guess that's it, Spencer isn't going to get an England call. For whatever reason Jones has decided he doesn't want him. If he can't get into this team after his performances over the last 2 years then he's never getting in IMO...

I guess that's it, Spencer isn't going to get an England call. For whatever reason Jones has decided he doesn't want him. If he can't get into this team after his performances over the last 2 years then he's never getting in IMO...
Genuinely one of the most baffling decisions of EJ's reign, and there's been a few.

Honestly no idea what's going on with it, he's the exact kind of 9 that EJ seems to want. Must be a personal thing/personality clash or something

Six players added from Bristol Bears (Max Malins and Harry Randall) and Sale Sharks (Ben Curry, Curtis Langdon, Bevan Rodd and Manu Tuilagi).
Northampton Saints' George Furbank and Ollie Sleightholme also join the squad.
Capon is also in from Bristol for Oghre

Sean Robinson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Jack Singleton (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)/Gabriel Oghre
Tom Willis (Wasps, uncapped)
Tom de Glanville (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish, uncapped)
Ben Spencer (Bath Rugby, 4 caps)

Some mad calls there
Spencer> Randall (and Mitchell)
OHC > Bassett (as in Sleightholme should have replaced Bassett)
Willis is the only dedicated 8 in the squad
TdG > Furbank
Callum Chick is primarily an 8, who can cover 6

Callum Chick is primarily an 8, who can cover 6
I did think that, but everything I've seen has him down as either flanker or backrower, so figured he was more of a play-anywhere-in-the-backrow kind of player - definitely the most experience at 8 in the squad, presumably there as a dedicated 8,
Hopefully he does start there rather than EJ going on a mad one and shifting Underhill to 8 or something

Gutted for Willis as he's been so good and really does make a lot of sense at No.8

Umaga/Furbank at 10 does worry me but Smith/Simmonds will come in for sure. Dombrandht will be in as well?

Bassett still being in makes me so happy although gutted for OHC.

Also it was weird that Proudfoot comes out and does a piece in CoventryTelegraph about how Oghre is closest thing to Brits he's seen in a while..... and then he's dropped. Wasn't expecting him to be in but seems very odd haha

Gutted for Willis as he's been so good and really does make a lot of sense at No.8

Umaga/Furbank at 10 does worry me but Smith/Simmonds will come in for sure. Dombrandht will be in as well?

Bassett still being in makes me so happy although gutted for OHC.

Also it was weird that Proudfoot comes out and does a piece in CoventryTelegraph about how Oghre is closest thing to Brits he's seen in a while..... and then he's dropped. Wasn't expecting him to be in but seems very odd haha
We don't know for sure that they've been dropped as such. It's possible there are minor injuries.

Also, for all we know, Langdon and Capon might always have been ahead of Oghre and simply weren't there originally because of the play offs.

Also, for all we know, Langdon and Capon might always have been ahead of Oghre and simply weren't there originally because of the play offs.
I'd be amazed if that weren't the case, tbh - with Singleton out they'd have needed someone in for live scrummaging drills so might as well bring in a young EQP guy just to get a closer look

Also players dropping out could well be for COVID reasons (close contacts, etc). Yarde missed the semi-final because of a close contact quarantine preventing him from training for a week, and Manu missed the game a few weeks ago for the same reason

That said: all the changes are very EJ and not particularly (in the context of his previous decisions) so probably not that. OHC is the only one that really surprises me - definitely thought Bassett was the one there to fill a shirt until players were released from the playoffs sides

Last edited:
I did think that, but everything I've seen has him down as either flanker or backrower, so figured he was more of a play-anywhere-in-the-backrow kind of player - definitely the most experience at 8 in the squad, presumably there as a dedicated 8,
Hopefully he does start there rather than EJ going on a mad one and shifting Underhill to 8 or something
Yeah he has played 6 the odd time....but his first choice position is 8. And hes been really good this season. Hes an alround 8...work rate, defence, big carrying, very good hands, and captain.
His big issue was his weight / ability in collisions. But last year he bulked up considerably and his game this season has been another level.

He'll do great if hes picked.

Dombrandt will probably be added after the final.

Last edited:
For the A game I would go with
1. Obano, 2. Blamire, 3. Heyes
4. Martin, 5. Ewels
6. Hill, 7. Ludlam, 8. Chick
9. Robson, 10. Umaga
12. Ojomoh, 13. Kelly
11. Radwan, 14. Cokanasiga, 15. Steward

16. Capon, 17. Rodd, 18. Hill
19. Munga, 20. Reid
21. Randall, 22. Furbank, 23. Sleightholme

Only change i'd make is bring in Bassett. I like Radwan... but i'm not sold on him. Personally I think that Sleightholme/Coka is a better combo and that i rate OHC over Radwan.

Is this the final squad for the A game now?
Think so - only 5 or so training sessions before the game now

Only change i'd make is bring in Bassett. I like Radwan... but i'm not sold on him. Personally I think that Sleightholme/Coka is a better combo and that i rate OHC over Radwan.
How can you watch Radwan and Coka this season and then not be sold on Radwan??
I don't see what Bassett brings other than good finishing, either - and Radwan is an exceptional finisher too

Is this the final squad for the A game now?
Just for A game i believe so. Doubt they will make any more changes. Also don't know if anyone has seen the clip of Bassett talking about it but he thought the invite was advertising him to buy tickets! TBF to him, when you listen to him talk about his chances, he knows he's probably not going to go anywhere with this but even if he can grab one cap or even learn from coaches, both physical and mental, to increase the length and productivity of his career then he will be happy.

Latest posts