• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

Tuilagi withdrawn due to injury
Injury or pre-warn of a citing...?

Happy for Dingwall, shouldn't have been released to start with tbh - though Piers O'Connor should be there over either. Genuinely surprised EJ isn't trying to get him tied to England before he loses interest an starts looking elsewhere

We've gone so long without Manu that his not being there doesn't feel like anyone is missing tbh

On top of which - what could we learn about him in this window anyway? We already know what he can and can't do - waste of space for an A-match and second tier "tour"

Shame. When 100% fit he's world class. But those times have been few or far between. He was supposed to be England's answer to Nonu who won 100+caps for the ABs and yet he has won 43caps.

Dingwall to me has always looked better at 13. Really confused by the choices at 12 (as I always am for England) again.

We really need some long term competition at 12 and 13 (and 10, 8,9,1).

Honestly he's spent so long injured I'm not bothered. I think England genuinely need to move away from hoping Tuilagi might be fit and look for a permanent solution that doesn't include him.
Couldnt agree more...

Its such a shame that Odogwu got injured...he could have been an interesting option there.

I think this is why Jones is pushing forward the out of form Cokasaniga...as on form, he's really the only one we have who can have that physical power / ability in the backs.

Dingwall to me has always looked better at 13. Really confused by the choices at 12 (as I always am for England) again.

We really need some long term competition at 12 and 13 (and 10, 8,9,1).
Devoto at 12 and Slade would work for me. Good balance of skills and the inherent understanding of a club partnership.

Couldnt agree more...

Its such a shame that Odogwu got injured...he could have been an interesting option there.

I think this is why Jones is pushing forward the out of form Cokasaniga...as on form, he's really the only one we have who can have that physical power / ability in the backs.
Big fan of Joe's, but he doesn't really seem to be throwing his weight around at the moment. I'd rather have someone who's high energy and punches above their weight than size for size's sake.

Joe's tackling has also been atrocious recently from what I've seen. If he is meant to be an option in mid-field then he seriously needs to address that area. I agree with others who say he needs a break and time to get his head right. I don't think more pressure to perform is what he needs.

Yeah, hes way off form...i was thinking Jones is using these to try and play Coka in to some kind of form...like he's done with Billy etc.

Will be interesting to see if Eddie does play big Joe at 13 and maybe looks to use the same tactic Gatland used for North.

For the A game I would go with
1. Obano, 2. Blamire, 3. Heyes
4. Martin, 5. Ewels
6. Hill, 7. Ludlam, 8. Chick
9. Robson, 10. Umaga
12. Ojomoh, 13. Kelly
11. Radwan, 14. Cokanasiga, 15. Steward

16. Capon, 17. Rodd, 18. Hill
19. Munga, 20. Reid
21. Randall, 22. Furbank, 23. Sleightholme
Think this pretty much is the team i would go with. I love the idea of Bassett as previously stated but i agree that 9x10 axis of Robson and Umaga makes sense. Robson will add a lot of control and can also play quickly but will also settle down an internationally inexperienced 10 in Umaga and hopefully backline too.

Robson or Ewels to captain then?

Big Joe's all round game has dropped off significantly since his injury. He is still a big lump that is difficult to stop and fairly fast in a straight line but at the moment that is all he is. He used to have a good step, ran good lines, was more powerful in contact and had a good offload. I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing but he is going down the stereotypical pacific islander route of seeking contact when it isn't a sensible option. His defence and particularly his positioning was always poor but if anything it's got worse, plus he appears to now have the turning circle of a small tanker.

If he returns to pre-injury form then he can get a look in but his current form just does not merit any position on the field, and I say this as someone who was a fan of his when he first arrived on the scene. He has got worse across the board and not improved in a single area since his first England cap. By all means I'd love for him to prove me wrong though.

Miles Reid now out of the squad with a "facial Fracture"....no replacement as of yet.

Latest posts