• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

Danny Care said whilst out yesterday/Sunday, the lads were getting phone calls. Apparently when Kenningham received his phone call they all went mad and got on it.

Also slightly under the radar that Furbank was selected over Freeman/Parton? Furbank isn't even starting at the moment for Saints is he?

Also love that the three oldest players in the squad have 11 caps between them. McInally is 30 years old, Basset/Robson 29 years old.

Eddie has talked about the current trend going towards fast rucks and more running rugby. If that is where he sees it going, it makes sense to have Smith and Umaga who are better suited towards that style of play.

Marcus has massively improved his game management though. I think it's inaccurate and lazy to brand him solely as a mercurial 'flair' player when there's a lot more to his game. Yes, he can attack and will run with the ball, but he's also capable of playing a more tactical game when required.

Eddie has talked about the current trend going towards fast rucks and more running rugby. If that is where he sees it going, it makes sense to have Smith and Umaga who are better suited towards that style of play.

Marcus has massively improved his game management though. I think it's inaccurate and lazy to brand him solely as a mercurial 'flair' player when there's a lot more to his game. Yes, he can attack and will run with the ball, but he's also capable of playing a more tactical game when required.
Oh 100% agree. That's what i meant, i think he can slot into any team but in reference to him and Umaga, they love to play expressive rugby which Jones seemed to always dislike.

Smith managed the game fantastically recently and seems to know when to be expressive and when to play more carefully and tactical. That's the funny thing about Quins, your game seems a lot more controlled and measured in your play but at the same time your at your best when it's running, fast rugby like at the weekend.

Danny Care said whilst out yesterday/Sunday, the lads were getting phone calls. Apparently when Kenningham received his phone call they all went mad and got on it.

Also slightly under the radar that Furbank was selected over Freeman/Parton? Furbank isn't even starting at the moment for Saints is he?
Jones really is a big fan isnt he.

Kenningham is listed as 6'3 and he has said he is 109kg at the moment so he's a big guy and will probably add weight on.

With George Martin not in this squad (i think hes in the U20 isnt he? ) does that mean we will see Ted HIll as the big unit at 6?

Jones really is a big fan isnt he.

Kenningham is listed as 6'3 and he has said he is 109kg at the moment so he's a big guy and will probably add weight on.

With George Martin not in this squad (i think hes in the U20 isnt he? ) does that mean we will see Ted HIll as the big unit at 6?
I wonder whether Jones sees Kenningham as an option across backrow including 8 and Hill as more an option at lock too?

Feels like we are very interchangeable at the moment

With George Martin not in this squad (i think hes in the U20 isnt he? )
Nope,
He was in the squad named in Jan but not the one for this summer
Gotta be injured, Jones seemed a big fan

Trying not to think about Furbank being in over the other options we've got in the back 3 because it makes me sad

Nope,
He was in the squad named in Jan but not the one for this summer
Gotta be injured, Jones seemed a big fan

Trying not to think about Furbank being in over the other options we've got in the back 3 because it makes me sad
I think you mean other options at fly half ;)

I wonder whether Jones sees Kenningham as an option across backrow including 8 and Hill as more an option at lock too?

Feels like we are very interchangeable at the moment
He does seem almost Curry esque in his play and with Wev at Quins I could see him taking up interchanging between that 6 and 20 shirt at Quins with Chisholm with both of them convering the whole pack row if needs be

Also another interesting thing ... I knew that Munga was highly rated at lock and had heard his names on the forum before but Ojomoh i have to be honest is news to me. Knew his had was a pro but haven't heard much about him.

Also so pleased for Ben Curry, has had the worst luck since getting injured before Argentina and i really think he is just as good as his brother once on a run and with the same level of coaching.

I think you mean other options at fly half ;)

He does seem almost Curry esque in his play and with Wev at Quins I could see him taking up interchanging between that 6 and 20 shirt at Quins with Chisholm with both of them convering the whole pack row if needs be
I do remember that game vs Wasps, he had that 'mad head' vibe that Curry has when he takes contact.

Also another interesting thing ... I knew that Munga was highly rated at lock and had heard his names on the forum before but Ojomoh i have to be honest is news to me. Knew his had was a pro but haven't heard much about him.

Also so pleased for Ben Curry, has had the worst luck since getting injured before Argentina and i really think he is just as good as his brother once on a run and with the same level of coaching.
Ive heard his name a few times, mostly due to being big Steve's son. He does get good praise as one to watch but then so many others have ...

Aaron Hinkley come to mind?

Ive heard his name a few times, mostly due to being big Steve's son. He does get good praise as one to watch but then so many others have ...

Aaron Hinkley come to mind?
Hinkley fell off a cliff when he moved to Chiefs... never plays for some reason. Whether its a case of their squad being too good. Also what happened to Hodge? he was our new saviour at 15?

Be interesting to see if Nowell continues to play 15 going forward - Hodge's chance to shine would be when Hogg is away internationally, but doesn't look like that'll be the case atm

Wonder if he's kinda regretting leaving Falcons, with the recognition their back 3 is getting atm

Yeah i wonder if he does Oly.

There has been a distinct change up here...more and more of the kids now are staying as they can see us progressing. Previously quite a few of the current lot would already have been away,

Hodge would have been starting now alongside Penny...so you wonder if we would have moved for Brown in that case?

Hinkley fell off a cliff when he moved to Chiefs... never plays for some reason. Whether its a case of their squad being too good. Also what happened to Hodge? he was our new saviour at 15?
Hinkley's been injured for pretty much the entirety of his stint at Chiefs so far.

Immediate thoughts on a team for next week (assuming Malins and Lawrence are unavailable):
1. Genge - ran with a lot of intent today and was physical as you'd expect but things just didn't quite click for him. Happy for him to retain the shirt next week and maybe take captaincy.
2. Langdon - not a huge amount to say here; he was solid enough and Blamire's darts were a bit shaky (although he did make up for it).
3. Heyes - was solid enough today and has huge potential.
4. Hill - I know he's not really a lock but McNally and Ewels were so anonymous today that I'd give Hill a start just to see what he can do.
5. Wells - deserves a shot.
6. Ludlam - was great off the bench today. I know he plays most of his rugby at 7 but he's very abrasive and paired with a larger openside like Curry or Underhill the balance would be fine.
7. Curry - has to get a start and Ludlow was anonymous.
8. Dombrandt - Chick was anonymous and Dombrandt has to get game time.
9. Robson - Randall is one for the future but we need a new 9 right now; Robson needs to get game time.
10. Smith - didn't really shine today but was part of a disjointed backline. Deserves another go at it.
11. Radwan - has to have a shot, so electric.
12. Kelly - a proper 12 and in good form, deserves a go.
13. Marchant - we know what Slade offers and Marchant's been in great form.
14. Cokonasiga - did well today and seems to be regaining confidence.
15. Steward - was fantastic today.

16. Blamire - better than Oghre.
17. Rodd - get him capped.
18. Hill - not too sure what Davison offers.
19. Munga - young and big.
20. Kenningham - probably not as naturally gifted or athletically impressive as most of the young back rowers but he's the kind of player I can really see grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck instead of waiting for something to happen for himself which I think just about every forward was guilty of today.
21. Randall
22. Umaga
23. Slade - covers a lot of positions and offers some stability from the bench.

Immediate thoughts on a team for next week (assuming Malins and Lawrence are unavailable):
1. Genge - ran with a lot of intent today and was physical as you'd expect but things just didn't quite click for him. Happy for him to retain the shirt next week and maybe take captaincy.
2. Langdon - not a huge amount to say here; he was solid enough and Blamire's darts were a bit shaky (although he did make up for it).
3. Heyes - was solid enough today and has huge potential.
4. Hill - I know he's not really a lock but McNally and Ewels were so anonymous today that I'd give Hill a start just to see what he can do.
5. Wells - deserves a shot.
6. Ludlam - was great off the bench today. I know he plays most of his rugby at 7 but he's very abrasive and paired with a larger openside like Curry or Underhill the balance would be fine.
7. Curry - has to get a start and Ludlow was anonymous.
8. Dombrandt - Chick was anonymous and Dombrandt has to get game time.
9. Robson - Randall is one for the future but we need a new 9 right now; Robson needs to get game time.
10. Smith - didn't really shine today but was part of a disjointed backline. Deserves another go at it.
11. Radwan - has to have a shot, so electric.
12. Kelly - a proper 12 and in good form, deserves a go.
13. Marchant - we know what Slade offers and Marchant's been in great form.
14. Cokonasiga - did well today and seems to be regaining confidence.
15. Steward - was fantastic today.

16. Blamire - better than Oghre.
17. Rodd - get him capped.
18. Hill - not too sure what Davison offers.
19. Munga - young and big.
20. Kenningham - probably not as naturally gifted or athletically impressive as most of the young back rowers but he's the kind of player I can really see grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck instead of waiting for something to happen for himself which I think just about every forward was guilty of today.
21. Randall
22. Umaga
23. Slade - covers a lot of positions and offers some stability from the bench.
I like that a lot. Possibly Ewels on the bench as more experienced cover if Hill struggles. I agree he was anonymous, but Munga is completely unknown. Not sure about Robson, he found some form at the end of the season, but I just feel he's never going to be England's starting 9. I feel Randall has more chance of replacing Youngs in the short term. Probably those 2 changes and that would be my team.

Latest posts