• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

Think so - only 5 or so training sessions before the game now

How can you watch Radwan and Coka this season and then not be sold on Radwan??
I don't see what Bassett brings other than good finishing, either - and Radwan is an exceptional finisher too
TBF i'm not sold on Coka either, he's not really done anything this season. Bassett for me offers better defence, but then again I am hugely bias and am probably being hugely unfair on Radwan who is an exceptional finisher.

I just really want Bassett to play haha.

TBF i'm not sold on Coka either, he's not really done anything this season. Bassett for me offers better defence, but then again I am hugely bias and am probably being hugely unfair on Radwan who is an exceptional finisher.

I just really want Bassett to play haha.
That's fair,
I just think we should be investing time in the youth while we've got a chance to try out some players

On Coka - we know he's got all the talent in the world; but his head just isn't in the right place. Long injury and the now-known family problems will do that to you, as will living through a pandemic TBH
To get that back, it's going to take psychological help, and the opinion of those closest to him. Some players in his situation would be better off sitting on a beach with his family having a laugh and working things through; for others it's going to take a coach showing faith in him, and giving him the starting jersey for 8-10 matches on the trot; whilst others again it's going to be a mix of them.

Of course, getting a run of 8-10 starts when your form doesn't justify it is always going to be a tough ask; but if that's what he needs shold bring a massive return on investment. Of course, it also runs the risk of ruining his career if that's not what he personally needs.
I don't envy the coaches trying to make those decisions, and I really, really hope he's seeing a top notch sports psychologist, and that said professional's opinion is taking centre stage on the decisions. As fans, we can't really comment (beyond saying what we believe would be best for ourselves in that situation, which has no relevance whatsoever to what's best for any other individual)

That's fair,
I just think we should be investing time in the youth while we've got a chance to try out some players
Oh 100%, i'd be interest to know what others thought on Radwan's defence? I've seen bits of him but as everyone knows. he's know for flying and exceptional finishing. Reminds me very much of a Mr May. It's one thing that when i look at someone like Sleightholme i am in awe of because his defence is fantastic.

On Coka - we know he's got all the talent in the world; but his head just isn't in the right place. Long injury and the now-known family problems will do that to you, as will living through a pandemic TBH
To get that back, it's going to take psychological help, and the opinion of those closest to him. Some players in his situation would be better off sitting on a beach with his family having a laugh and working things through; for others it's going to take a coach showing faith in him, and giving him the starting jersey for 8-10 matches on the trot; whilst others again it's going to be a mix of them.

Of course, getting a run of 8-10 starts when your form doesn't justify it is always going to be a tough ask; but if that's what he needs shold bring a massive return on investment. Of course, it also runs the risk of ruining his career if that's not what he personally needs.
I don't envy the coaches trying to make those decisions, and I really, really hope he's seeing a top notch sports psychologist, and that said professional's opinion is taking centre stage on the decisions. As fans, we can't really comment (beyond saying what we believe would be best for ourselves in that situation, which has no relevance whatsoever to what's best for any other individual)
Question? Do you think if the rumours of Joe heading back to Irish or in a trade for someone like a Loader/OHC (I think this was mentioned a fair few months ago, maybe not the trade but him heading back to LI) would be beneficial to him? I'm assuming that his parents/family are located near to LI seeing as Phil is still there. Give him an opportunity to clear his head out and maybe discover a little more love for the game.

Sometimes that clean start helps and as fans it's hard to see players go... trying to think of some good Wasps examples of recent but players such as Stuart (Williams/Obano too) who i was gutted when he left for Bath, but has made massive strides since he left.

Totally this.

He's exciting, brings something a bit different and if he's fit and firing then he's right in the mix.

But like any player (in my world if not EJ's) he's got to earn the shirt. It's been great to see him back playing and each time I've watched him this season I've really willed him to do well. There have been flashes, but not enough yet. I'm sure we're yet to see the best of him.

Question? Do you think if the rumours of Joe heading back to Irish or in a trade for someone like a Loader/OHC (I think this was mentioned a fair few months ago, maybe not the trade but him heading back to LI) would be beneficial to him? I'm assuming that his parents/family are located near to LI seeing as Phil is still there. Give him an opportunity to clear his head out and maybe discover a little more love for the game.

Sometimes that clean start helps and as fans it's hard to see players go... trying to think of some good Wasps examples of recent but players such as Stuart (Williams/Obano too) who i was gutted when he left for Bath, but has made massive strides since he left.
You'd need to be a lot closer to him than any common fan could be.
He's been at Bath for 3 years now (and signed an extension earlier this year) so he'll have plenty of friends around him, and may or may not be getting the support he needs. Equally, it's not like Bath is a long way from Reading to see family.
But yes, sometimes a change is as good as a break, maybe surrounding himself with his family and childhood/academy friends may be of help. It might be that what he really needs is a couple of months back in Fiji with his extended family.

There's just no way that we on the outside can intelligently comment on what's best for him. It might be staying at Bath and knuckling down. It might be a return to where he's loved. It might a new challenge at a completely new club with no previous colleagues. It might be a season in the championship being the biggest fish in the pond. It might be a move abroad away from any speculation of international duties. It may be a switch to 7s with a competely new challenge that he'd be perfect for (now there's a scary thought). It may be a switch to super rugby with Fiji. It may be a sabatical from all rugby. All of these are more-or-less equally valid possibilties.

Totally this.

He's exciting, brings something a bit different and if he's fit and firing then he's right in the mix.

But like any player (in my world if not EJ's) he's got to earn the shirt. It's been great to see him back playing and each time I've watched him this season I've really willed him to do well. There have been flashes, but not enough yet. I'm sure we're yet to see the best of him.

I would agree; with the best will in the world, his form does not justify selection, even at A level. The above was written from the perspective of what's best for the player. What's best for Bath or England may be completely different, and certainly is in the short term. The debate is to whether that display of love and confidence will "buy" us the reward down the line.

Sean Robinson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Jack Singleton (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)/Gabriel Oghre
Tom Willis (Wasps, uncapped)
Tom de Glanville (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish, uncapped)
Ben Spencer (Bath Rugby, 4 caps)

Some mad calls there
Spencer> Randall (and Mitchell)
OHC > Bassett (as in Sleightholme should have replaced Bassett)
Willis is the only dedicated 8 in the squad
TdG > Furbank
Just realised Parton is out as well

TdG vs Parton vs Furbank and...he chooses Furbank

and Malins
Malins is there

But him being there does also mean we don't need Furbank to cover 10 cause Malins can do that, so any of the others could/should be there (TdG can play 10 as well can't he? Not sure he's played there at senior level, but I'd trust him there as much as Furbank tbh)

(TdG can play 10 as well can't he? Not sure he's played there at senior level, but I'd trust him there as much as Furbank tbh)
He was a FH until about a year ago. Dunno if the switch was "position of best fit", competition with Bailey at club level, competition with Smith and Atkinson at national age-grade level or AN Other. He's been bloody good at FB though

Oh 100%, i'd be interest to know what others thought on Radwan's defence? I've seen bits of him but as everyone knows. he's know for flying and exceptional finishing. Reminds me very much of a Mr May. It's one thing that when i look at someone like Sleightholme i am in awe of because his defence is fantastic.
I may be a little bias, but dont worry about his defence....its rock solid. Hes very strong for his slight frame...and he's very aggressive. Hes won a a couple of turnovers putting his head where it hurts.

Im a huge fan of Slightholme etc, but have no fear, if Radwan gets a chance, he'll show he's very good. He's also improved his game reading this season....ie he was guilty of hogging the touchline too much. But now when its on, you'll find him popping up in the midfield looking for the space etc.
He's improving nicely.

Im very surprised OCH wasnt kept on mind. I dont understand releasing him,

Jones is in a good position with his wingers...lots of very talented wingers, and a nice variety of styles aswell.

Being a 'little' bias... ie. completely and utterly is all fine as long as you admit it upfront....

i.e Tom Willis has been hard done by for this squad.. :)

Being a 'little' bias... ie. completely and utterly is all fine as long as you admit it upfront....

i.e Tom Willis has been hard done by for this squad.. :)
I completely agree....him and OCH are the two that i dont understand why they have been released. i think Willis is becoming a very impressive 8...

I have asked this question for years, and still dont expect an answer....

But id love to know what Jones basis his decisions on. How he selects his players...its baffling. Just when i think i get his criteria etc...boom he throws a spanner in the works.

I have asked this question for years, and still dont expect an answer....

But id love to know what Jones basis his decisions on. How he selects his players...its baffling. Just when i think i get his criteria etc...boom he throws a spanner in the works.
I'd say at this point the "works" is just a massive pile of spanners.

For the A game I would go with
1. Obano, 2. Blamire, 3. Heyes
4. Martin, 5. Ewels
6. Hill, 7. Ludlam, 8. Chick
9. Robson, 10. Umaga
12. Ojomoh, 13. Kelly
11. Radwan, 14. Cokanasiga, 15. Steward

16. Capon, 17. Rodd, 18. Hill
19. Munga, 20. Reid
21. Randall, 22. Furbank, 23. Sleightholme
The only changes I'd make to that would be Langdon for Blamire, Randall for Robson and Lawrence for Ojomoh (moving Kelly to 12).

I'm in total agreement on the overall sentiment on Cokanasiga. Hopefully the chance to score a few tries against these kind of sides might help him to get his mojo back.

I'd be picking Lawrence for similar reasons. I'd play him at 13 for this and then try him at 12 alongside Marchant for USA and Canada.

Latest posts