• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SUNDAY EXPRESS: WELLS AND FORD SACKED

M

mohamed_ali12

Mike Ford and John Wells sacked:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/141794...World-Cup&quot;" target="_blank"> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/141794...y-til-World-Cup</a>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
MARTIN JOHNSON will carry on as England boss until the next World Cup despite slipping to a third defeat in four games.

Martin Johnson still has the backing of RFU kingmakers but he will have to wield the axe on his backroom staff despite an improved performance in yesterday’s 19-6 defeat to the All Blacks.

Johnson and his RFU bosses will start a review into England’s autumn campaign within the next couple of weeks and it will be made clear to him that heads have to roll. Out will go defence coach Mike Ford and forwards coach John Wells, who have been working with the England squad since May 2006.

The Sunday Express understands that Johnson has been under pressure to freshen up his back room team since the summer but has remained loyal to both despite not getting results.

Attacking coach Brian Smith is safe for the time being despite England only scoring one try in the last three games.

Johnson is likely to wait until after Christmas to recruit replacements with Northampton Saint boss Jim Mallinder and his side kick Dorian West on his hit list. Johnson said: "I was proud of the effort because there has been a lot of criticism around all week.

"Steve Borthwick has done a tremendous job and it has to be said that all the leaders of the team have stood up and been counted in the whole series."[/b]

Dunno why Ford is out. Seemed to be doing a fairly decent job in defence. But something had to change I suppose.

I agree, defense was our one positive facet this autumn. I suspect he's said that he wants the RL job so Johnson has no choice. A chance for us to get someone like Shaun Edwards in. Mallinder and West would be very positive also though.

Well gentlemen, the heads have officially rolled!

I think they should hire Venter for defence coa- NO WAIT NOOOO!

They can f*** right off with that one, Mallinder and West are fine where they are. I'm pretty sure Mallinder wouldn't want to work beneath someone else anyway, he's definitely the type of guy who would want to be able to do things his own way from the outset.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 22 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dunno why Ford is out. Seemed to be doing a fairly decent job in defence. But something had to change I suppose.[/b]

Conceding an average of 15/20 points every game. Great job, that.

Anyway, Booth and Catt are much higher up the order then Mallender & West. The Meeja are the ones stirring that rumour up. (That said, the media are the same idiots who picked Wilkinson and shoehorned Geraghty at inside centre).

Ford has been strongly linked with the England RL job. Surely the RFL aren't crackpot enough?

Latest posts