• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 expanding to LA

C

Canadian_Rugger

Taken from http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4385100a15599.html

US Rugby boss tips LA-based Super 14 side
USA Rugby's influential chairman Kevin Roberts believes Sanzar can cash-in on including a team from Los Angeles in an expanded Super 14.

Roberts a former board member of the NZRU and currently the worldwide CEO for advertising agency Saatchi and Saatchi says to include a team from the US in the competition will open up a massive market for rugby.

"The media partners, sponsors, apparel suppliers, Rupert Murdoch, they'd all be interested in seeing a West Coast side that is competitive," Roberts told Sunday News from Los Angeles.

"It would do for the Super 14 what Italy has done for the Six Nations because the most popular trip for fans is the weekend in Rome."

Throughout his professional career Roberts has been able to make things happen. With him chairing the board at USA Rugby the sport won't be standing still in the world's most powerful country.

The game will go professional in USA this year with Roberts having impressive plans for the sport.

"Playing in top-class competition is vital," he said.

"We'll have our own Super 6 with the Canadian teams this year, in 2009 we'll include the Argentinian provinces and within the next time-frame have a (Super 14) franchise based in LA.

"The whole world is interested in where the USA is going," he added.

"I had dinner last week in the UK with Sean Fitzpatrick and Stephen Jones, the Sunday Times journalist. For both these guys nothing is more important than the USA succeeding.

"The IRB help us with grants and they want us to succeed because they need the US to make rugby truly global.

"We've just signed Sony as our shirt sponsor, Guinness as our beer sponsor, Setanta as our media rights sponsor, we're about to announce a major apparel deal and we've just done a seven-figure recruitment deal with the National Guard because they want rugby players."

Last week, USA Rugby and the NZRU announced the signing of a formal agreement to promote rugby in the States.

While it will allow the USA to tap into New Zealand's knowledge and resources, it also gives the NZRU a foothold in the US market.

"For the USA side, what we need more than anything else right now is intellectual property, technical know-how, referee skills and player development skills," Roberts said.

"We looked around the world for that and it was no surprise I found the best systems and intellectual property is in New Zealand by a country mile.

"We had terrific co-operation from the All Blacks coaches during our World Cup preparation. Graham (Henry) allowed Mike Cron and Mick Byrne to come up for a couple of weeks.

"From the New Zealand perspective, the NZRU are interested in their most obvious commercial, trading and social partner.

"There's no doubt the commercial market in the States dwarfs any other. You can talk about Japan and China until the cows come home but the big opportunity for the All Blacks, the next unconquered terrain for them, is the US.

"If you want to think about how you can fund professional rugby in New Zealand against the might of England and France, it really is by opening up new commerical opportunities and the only one with any scale is the US.

"What we pledge to do for New Zealand is ensure we open up those commercial opportunities for the All Blacks and NZRU.

"The NZRU see the only real short and long-term solution to staying competitively positioned in the professional game, for a small country like New Zealand, is to pioneer the adidas deal Mk II outside of the norm.

"They did that with Iveco, the Italian truck supplier, and they need to expand that to the world's biggest companies. And they pretty much all have their HQs in the US.

"New Zealand are very far-seeing in that they see US rugby as a way of accessing that commercial pool."

[/b]

Discuss

While I think a Super 14 team in LA is a bit out there. One thing is for sure, US Rugby will be going places with Mr. Roberts in charge. He seems to be one of those people who simply gets things done.

I agree^

although it would be cool to have a USA team, the Pacific Islands deserve one more.

I don't think it's about who deserves it. It's rather about getting into an untapped rugby market. A market with lots of people in a developed country. With opportunities for lucrative deals and contracts eminent. Grow of rugby is of course a priority too. I think this is an exciting prospect for one

Roberts knows exactly what he's doing. He was the guy who negotiated the largest sponsorship deal in New Zealand rugby history with Adidas.

Roberts knows New Zealand and knows that they're eager to expand the All Black brand into unchartered territories in order to recoup the lavish amount of dosh splashed out in the last few years. Become a commercial success in North America and you can build as many 90,000 rugby stadiums as you like across New Zealand you'll be so flush with cash!

USA Rugby really have made the best decision hiring Roberts and Melvile to manage the game and if they can get a team in at Los Angeles or whatever in the Super 14, the better.

On another note, he's now talking about the NA4 as the "Super 6" and is even confidently talking about the long rumoured tri-nations of Argentina, Canada and the USA contributing club sides for a Super-14 style competition. Even if Argentina do not join either the 6 or 3 nations, they will benefit from this increased co-operation between USA Rugby and the other top 9 rugby nations.

Seems like this guys is a pretty exciting idealist who has a lot of motivation and work-ethic behind him and although these things won't happen overnight, they may be reality in say 5 years.

well i dont know how well it would go. having a team on that side of the world would make travel for the teams a nightmare.

though ill no more about that next week as i am off there then.

would be good for the game, for usa rugby more than anything though.

well i dont know how well it would go. having a team on that side of the world would make travel for the teams a nightmare. [/b]

Oh for the love of- all travel from New Zealand to anwhere beyond Perth is a nightmare!!! Get used to it! Its a fact of life! Until they develop teleporters, you're going to have to fly to games!

I never had any pull to go to the US but watching the Force play in the US, yes please!

What he is effectively doing is keeping USA Rugby on everyones lips.
The idea of us competing in the Super14 is a bit far fetched. However, what he is doing is letting the world know we are here, we are developing and we are ready for more competition.
It's not going to happen anytime soon.

<div class='quotemain'> well i dont know how well it would go. having a team on that side of the world would make travel for the teams a nightmare. [/b]

Oh for the love of- all travel from New Zealand to anwhere beyond Perth is a nightmare!!! Get used to it! Its a fact of life! Until they develop teleporters, you're going to have to fly to games!
[/b][/quote]

Easy for you to say but european teams never stay on a plane for more than 4 hours. A team from South Africa would travel fully to the other side of the world AND still have to tour Australia and New Zealand. Players are falling to pieces already with the expanded trinations, Northern Hem tour, Southern Hem tour etc etc etc. Its a great idea but totally impractical. There should be an Americas tournament where Argentina, USA and Canada have their own competition. The gap between teams skill would be small (as opposed to say the "California Bears" vs the Crusaders) and thus would provide good tight games AND promote rugby all over the Americas

Oh blah blah blah. All players in rugby are falling apart from exhaustion, it isn't just a SH phenomenon and if you think that, then that kind of explains the arrogance towards any kind of NH player, doesn't it?

I'd rather turn down the idea on the basis of ability or funding, rather than a totally pussy explaination about "jetlag". TRY HARDER!

Just make the americans stay in aus, nz or sa so that our countries don't have to bother traveling. I think this would increase the the chances of this happening.

Just make the americans stay in aus, nz or sa so that our countries don't have to bother traveling. I think this would increase the the chances of this happening.
[/b]
The whole point of this proposal is to get quality rugby IN America, not take the little it has OUT

Oh and Prestwick stay on topic or I'll have to neg rep you. Get with the program!

Sorry? I thought that discussing the logistics of a possible American addition to the Super 14 was on topic! :p

This is an interesting scenario, America is currently the biggest untapped market for Rugby in the World... They love their sports there, they are also starting to adopt sports they don't know much about for the reason that the rest of the world are not adopting their sports... I would love to see Rugby take off in a big way in America, it is starting to in the universities, and by the sounds of it they have a plan to try and get more people involved. Just through the Rugby Forum, I have noticed the number of American Rugby Fan's who have joined up during the World cup increase ten fold, so this can only be a good thing...

Logistically it won't be much of a problem in the next 10 years, because developments in flights will have improved, so you won't have the exhaustion from flights and travelling... I think even now that you could include a team from the USA into the Super 14, whether it is the correct thing to do is another question, I think America need to establish themselves as an International force before they start messing with the other aspect of things, and they need to build a league amongst themselves...

Could be a very interesting future for Rugby if this ever came off...

Latest posts