• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 expanding to LA

Why the f*** is America even being brought up? It's on the other side of the freaking world, not to mention the many other things stacked against it (ie no talent, no local interest). Yes, they have potential. No, it's not up to SANZAR to realise it. It's a waste of time even discussing the idea.

Why the f*** is America even being brought up? It's on the other side of the freaking world, not to mention the many other things stacked against it (ie no talent, no local interest). Yes, they have potential. No, it's not up to SANZAR to realise it. It's a waste of time even discussing the idea.[/b]
The almighty dollar and the opportunity to gain a beach-head on a huge market, look at the amount of people that go to college gridiron matches for gods sake!

Remember though that those people who watch gridiron consider rugby (in either code) to be a "dirty" sport due to the lack in reset and reorganization. A super 14 franchise will find it harder to make it big over there then Real Madrid will to be successful in the Heineken cup.

We're forgeting about nations with just as much potential, e.g. the PI nations. I mean look at Fiji, their population is probably between 500 000 - 1 million, and they beat Wales in the last WC. Amazing considering Wales' long and proud history in Rugby Union, whereas in Fiji Union plays 2nd fiddle to 7's. That's true potential right there. However is it gonna be financially viable to expand the Super Rugby there?

I think that's where SANZAR gets stuck everytime with Argentina and the PI's. Money. Unfortunately there's no way around it, as the money trend has been set already, and considering how European clubs trip over eachothers feet to secure SANZAR players, it makes their job even harder.

We're forgeting about nations with just as much potential, e.g. the PI nations. I mean look at Fiji, their population is probably between 500 000 - 1 million, and they beat Wales in the last WC. Amazing considering Wales' long and proud history in Rugby Union, whereas in Fiji Union plays 2nd fiddle to 7's. That's true potential right there. However is it gonna be financially viable to expand the Super Rugby there?

I think that's where SANZAR gets stuck everytime with Argentina and the PI's. Money. Unfortunately there's no way around it, as the money trend has been set already, and considering how European clubs trip over eachothers feet to secure SANZAR players, it makes their job even harder.

[/b]

I know you're not really advocating for the pacific islands, but please NEVER again should that discussion be brought up. Honestly, they have no money to support a team. Never have and never will, therefore it should never be brought up again as a possible place of expansion. Is it a sad indicment of the world? Absolutly, but there's nothing that can be done about it. They CANNOT support a franchise, so stop supporting this idea.

If you want to talk about the viabiltity of the US just look at my previous posts, I've told you all you possibly need to know. Quite, frankly I believe that Japan is the best option, with both the infastructure and the money to support it but it's that's cash cow possiblity of the US that has the NZRU about to blow a load over.

I guess this goes along the same lines but, I have now changed positioned on who should have been awarded the world cup. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for the the NZRU to leverage with the NZ government to get new stadiums and new upgrades, but this hasn't happened. So I'd just like to say I'm switching sides, even though I will be in NZ and I will be living in a tent in my brother's backyard in Wellington, I wish this was in Japan.

/drunken ramblings.

<div class='quotemain'> We're forgeting about nations with just as much potential, e.g. the PI nations. I mean look at Fiji, their population is probably between 500 000 - 1 million, and they beat Wales in the last WC. Amazing considering Wales' long and proud history in Rugby Union, whereas in Fiji Union plays 2nd fiddle to 7's. That's true potential right there. However is it gonna be financially viable to expand the Super Rugby there?

[/b]

I know you're not really advocating for the pacific islands, but please NEVER again should that discussion be brought up. Honestly, they have no money to support a team. Never have and never will, therefore it should never be brought up again as a possible place of expansion. Is it a sad indicment of the world? Absolutly, but there's nothing that can be done about it. They CANNOT support a franchise, so stop supporting this idea.

If you want to talk about the viabiltity of the US just look at my previous posts, I've told you all you possibly need to know. Quite, frankly I believe that Japan is the best option, with both the infastructure and the money to support it but it's that's cash cow possiblity of the US that has the NZRU about to blow a load over.

I guess this goes along the same lines but, I have now changed positioned on who should have been awarded the world cup. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for the the NZRU to leverage with the NZ government to get new stadiums and new upgrades, but this hasn't happened. So I'd just like to say I'm switching sides, even though I will be in NZ and I will be living in a tent in my brother's backyard in Wellington, I wish this was in Japan.

/drunken ramblings.
[/b][/quote]
The PI's are gonna keep coming up to be honest, whether we like it or not. Every WC people are gonna get all mushy over how well they play.
BTW SANZAR has included the PI's in their expansion draft.

My 2 â'¬ cents or Dollar, which has the most value.

A possible grow of the league is always good to improve the quality of it.
On the other hand; Most Us teams have a lot of money so there's a change they will buy a lot of players from the SA, NZ, AUS teams. Which might give them a monopoly in a certain amount of time?
As well as players who go to the States and get the US nationality, cause at the end it's all about the almighty dollar.

Won't bother me actually. The Super 14 needs a revamp. More teams with a pool system would be nice.

I don't blame you for the concern about heading to the U.S. The sport is niche to say the least, but is enjoyed on both coasts by Americans new to the game and Euro and SANZAR expats as well.

Being in a market as big as Los Angeles or San Francisco (remember, California alone has over 30 million people) will no doubt allow the team to bring out plenty of fans, especially when advertising playing teams from the most famous regions of Rugby.

The sevens in San Diego do well, and I'm sure a lot of the players would be fine spending a week or so in Hollywood around match day.

Most Us teams have a lot of money so there's a change they will buy a lot of players from the SA, NZ, AUS teams.
[/b]
You are f***ing kidding me. No rugby teams here have any money. Even the richest of team are poor in the light of the rest of world rugby.
I think this is a lot of smoke being blown up a lot of asses.

Wheres here? The US, Australia (from ur dp), Ireland (from the team you support) or Isle of Man (i think thats what your flag is)?

O'Rothlain lives and coaches in the United States of America and while he is an independent figure when it comes to American and International affairs, he probably has the best insight amongst all of us into how the American Rugby system works.

Thus, when he says the Super 14 expansion plans into the USA are BS, I tend to believe him.

In order for a Super 14 franchise to survive in America, they MUST have a big financial backer. The franchise has to be owned by a big spending individual, you can't expect USA Rugby or the Californian Union to have either the financial or management power to manage a major rugby team.

I'm sorry but SANZAR has to move with the times, its time to pander to the likes of Hicks, Gillet and Glazer rather than trying to save the sinking ship of Union controlled franchises.

Latest posts