Super 14 round 1

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by The TRUTH, Feb 7, 2006.

1. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

OK...post your team linups and latest team news for the opening round of the Super 14

from planetrugby.com

West Australians to 'break the record'
    Monday February 06 2006
    O'Meara sets the challenge
    RugbyWA chief executive Peter O'Meara has thrown down the gauntlet to West Australian sports fans urging them to help break the Australian record for a Super 12/14 crowd attendance.

The Western Force will play the Brumbies in its long-awaited debut in the Super 14 competition on Friday night at Subiaco Oval.

The Perth-based team already boasts Australia's biggest membership base, with more than 21,000 paid-up supporters.

Now, O'Meara wants those local sports fans who haven't joined up or bought a ticket to Friday night's game to get on board and help break another Australian Super 12/14 record.

"The Australian Super 12 crowd record is 42,600 at a game between the Waratahs and the Reds in 2004," O'Meara said.

"Wouldn't it be fantastic, if - on our first Super 14 outing - we could break that record," he said.

"It would show the traditional rugby powerbases on the eastern seaboard that the new home of Australian rugby is in the west."

The Western Force/Brumbies clash on Friday night will kick off the new Super 14 competition, with the New South Wales Waratahs and the Queensland Reds set to do battle the following day in Brisbane in a match expected to draw a crowd of 40,000.

O'Meara said a crowd of 31,000 was already assured for the Western Force/Brumbies game but he urged the undecided to get along to help break the crowd record and show their support for WA's team, in its debut.

"And it's not just the rugby," he sad. "We'll have plenty of exciting pre-match entertainment, both in and outside the stadium, to really highlight this historical moment in WA sport."

Lucky I got my tickets a long time ago :bana: :whip:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

Waratahs team:

15 Sam Norton-Knight, 14 Wendell Sailor, 13 Lote Tuqiri, 12 Morgan Turinui, 11 Peter Hewat, 10 Tim Donnelly, 9 Chris Whitaker (captain), 8 David Lyons, 7 Phil Waugh, 6 Rocky Elsom, 5 Daniel Vickerman, 4 Will Caldwell, 3 Al Baxter, 2 Adam Freier, 1 Matt Dunning.
    Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Benn Robinson, 18 Alex Kanaar, 19 Wycliff Palu, 20 Stephen Hoiles, 21 Shaun Berne, 22 Daniel Halangahu.

I thought they would have used Norton-knight at fly-half and Hewat at full back

4. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

Brumbies at full strength-

1. Bill Young
    2. Jeremy Paul
    3. Nic Henderson
    4. Alister Campbell
    5. Mark Chisholm
    6. *Daniel Heenan
    7. Julian Salvi
    8. George Smith

9. George Gregan
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Mark Gerrard
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Stirling Mortlock ©
    14. Clyde Rathbone
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. David Palavi
    17. Guy Shepherdson
    18. Adam Wallace-Harrison
    19. Jone Tawake
    20. Patrick Phibbs
    21. Gene Fairbanks
    22. Joel Wilson
    * On debut for the Brumbies

I think we might get smashed :(

5. cud surely be a beatdown..i hope they perform well enough to get the trust of the public....

9. George Gregan
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Mark Gerrard
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Stirling Mortlock ©
    14. Clyde Rathbone

omg..all you need is latham or rodgers and you got a wallaby backline hahaha...this could be a meltdown in perth

gud luck

6. aussie1st

aussie1st Guest

Now that is a great Brumbies backline. Gerrard isn't a fullback, he plays at his best on the wing.

I also like Salvi at 7 cause Smith hasn't been as effective these few years compared with when he burst onto the scene. It was time to give a new guy a go and heres hoping he comes through and becomes our Richie McCaw :)

7. nik

nik Guest

Blues Line up against the Hurricanes

Blues: 15 Isa Nacewa, 14 Doug Howlett, 13 Ben Atiga, 12 Luke McAlister, 11 Joe Rokocoko, 10 Tasesa Lavea, 9 John Senio; 8 Angus Macdonald, 7 Daniel Braid, 6 Nick Williams, 5 Greg Rawlinson, 4 Ali Williams, 3 John Afoa, 2 Keven Mealamu ©, 1 Tony Woodcock. Reserves: 16 Tim Dow, 17 Saimone Taumoepeau, 18 Kurtis Haiu, 19 Justin Collins, 20 Steve Devine, 21 Rua Tipoki, 22 Brent Ward.

some intresting selections here and there

8. nik

nik Guest

Hurricanes Squad

HURRICANES: 15 Isaia Toeava, 14 Lome Fa'atau, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Tana Umaga, 11 Ma'a Nonu, 10 Jimmy Gopperth, 9 Piri Weepu; 8 Rodney So'oialo © 7 Chris Masoe, 6 Jerry Collins, 5 Jason Eaton, 4 Luke Andrews, 3 Neemia Tialata, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Joe McDonnell. Reserves: 16 Luke Mahoney, 17 Tim Fairbrother, 18 Paul Tito, 19 Thomas Waldrom, 30 Brendan Haami, 21 David Holwell, 22 Shannon Paku.

9. esoj

esoj Guest

oh blues team is bit interesting. nacewa at fullback and nick williams at 6. flavell no where to be seen. also senio ahead of devine interesting call. the rest as I thought it would be.

10. Dumbo

Dumbo Guest

This should be a good game... predictions are Hurricanes 24-18

Blues win up front
    Hurricane loose forwards will dominate 2nd phase
    Expect a huge game from both backlines, Hurricanes to have the edge.

11. mark_shaw

mark_shaw Guest

canes are f***n great team this yesr a

12. ..::ERIC::..

..::ERIC::.. Guest

Gopperth and Andrews the only non-internationals in the Hurricanes starting 15 :)

13. flavell is still in japan and his season shud end about the 3-4 week of super 14

umm..where is tuitevake?..i guess when howlett leaves he will get a spot,gud lookin team

collins vs williams is gonna be an awesome match up

starting the new season wit a banger...piri weepu will test the ruck area mcdonald gotta play the conservative game and cant let braid do all the work..if that happens weepu and his loosies are gonna dominate the ruck

just let nick williams play his power game and the other 2 play support

shud be a very gud game...

14. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

After looking at those line-ups for the Blues v Canes match im tempted to change my pick to the Canes

There team looks far better than the blues on paper

15. esoj

esoj Guest

here is the reds line-up

Reds: 15.Chris Latham, 14.Tim Atkinson, 13.Julian Huxley, 12.Elton Flatley, 11.Drew Mitchell, 10.Berrick Barnes, 9.Sam Cordingley, 8.John Roe , 7.David Croft, 6.Mitchell Chapman, 5.Hugh McMeniman, 4.Mark Connors, 3.Rodney Blake, 2.Sean Hardman, 1.Greg Holmes. Reserves: 16.Stephen Moore, 17.Tom Court, 18.James Horwill, 19.Tom McVerry, 20.Nic Berry, 21.Lloyd Johansson, 22.Henari Veratau.

16. Wally

Wally Guest

If you do manage to break it you'll only have the record for one night.

17. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

Im not really interested in that record seeing as subi can only hold around 43-44,000

Plus if the Tahs play a final at Telstra stadium then they will set a record that can only be beaten by themselves.

Im more interested in the season attendance record, that will give a good indication of how good the team support is.

18. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

If anyone can find the Force Team line-up could you plz post it...

..doesn't look liked they have released it yet

19. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

nevermind found it....

FORCE team

The squad is:
    1. Gareth Hardy
    2. Brendan Cannon
    3. David Fitter
    4. John Welborn
    5. Nathan Sharpe ©.
    6. Luke Doherty
    7. Matt Hodgson
    8. Scott Fava (vc)
    9. Matt Henjak
    10. Scott Daruda
    11. Digby Ioane
    12. Lachlan MacKay
    13. Junior Pelesasa
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. James Hilgendorf

subs
    16. Tai McIsaac 17. David Te Moana 18. David Pusey 19. Richard Brown 20. Chris O'Young 21. Josh Graham 22. Cameron Shepherd

suprised to see Sheperd on the bench although Hilgendorf really impressed me in the first trial...

..also MacKay at 12 is a bit of a shock

20. Wally

Wally Guest

I went to school with old mate Scotty Daruda. Great bloke, hope he goes nuts.

21. umosay

umosay Guest

All our teams lookg bloody good this year, even the Chiefs will be bloody hard to beat. Highlanders look the weakest on paper imo.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!