• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15 a step closer

W

Wally

Super rugby will be enlarged to a 15-team competition run in a conference-type system with a larger finals format after SANZAR reaffirmed their commitment to expansion in 2011.

The SANZAR executive committee have held "constructive and robust discussions" around the future of their competition structures at a special meeting in Dubai where the World Cup Sevens are about to get under way.

The body that controls the Super 14 and Tri Nations competition for New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are under heat to come up with a better product as they get set to seek a new broadcasting deal with the first step in that process taking a plan to their current partner News Ltd.

There has been much speculation about the future that Super rugby and the Tri Nations will take with the three countries struggling for accord in many areas over the past.

They have be considering expansion proposals from a SANZAR Working Party and it seems they are determined to forge on, saying this was a crucial phase that will determine the financial security and rugby landscapes of the three countries.

New Zealand Rugby Union chief executive Steve Tew said the meeting reaffirmed largely what had been discussed at their meeting in Perth late last year - expansion will come in several forms.

There will be a team added to the competition with expressions of interest now being taken.

Tew said that while there had been talk about Japan, the Pacific Island and the US joining the Super 14, there was also pressure from within.

"Melbourne have been keen on a franchise, South Africa have said they would like a side from the Eastern Cape and New Zealand have provinces that have aspirations as well," Tew said in an interview with RadioSport.

The conference system would allow better home and away series with the leading cross-conference teams coming together for an in-depth finals series.

Tew said this had worked well in other professional sports. American systems operate in this way.

It was a way of maximizing the local derbies which have proven to be the highest rating matches in all three countries, he said.

Tew admitted the new championship would require more time but there had been a commitment that a Super 15 competition can't start any earlier than it currently does and there was a desire to push its kickoff back to March.

The season extension was something that had to be worked through carefully and this was a delicate area because of the diverse needs of the three partners.

New Zealand and South Africa have strong domestic competitions in the Air New Zealand Cup and Currie Cup to protect while Australia have a desire to get more meaningful rugby on their shores.

"We have to work in the Tri Nations and November tours north," said Tew.

"The 52 weeks in a year are not quite enough. If someone had designed a 54-week calendar we might be better off"

A member of the NZRU staff has been appointed as a dedicated project manager to work with the Working Party in refining the preferred competition structures for Super Rugby and Tri Nations.

On the question of Argentina, Tew said it was unlikely they would figure in any expansion of Super rugby. Their better fit was in the Tri Nations if that test competition was to be enlarged.

"It would be much more attractive to see them join up at some point of time in the Tri-Nations if we can make that work," Tew said.

Argentina has been seeking entry to an elite tournament but has so far been unsuccessful in its inquiries toward joining Europe's Six Nations or the Tri-Nations.

The Pumas are ranked fourth in the world standings and finished third at the 2007 World Cup, but say they have been held back by their lack of regular topflight competition.

SANZAR must present their plans to broadcaster News Ltd in June. They have the first right of refusal.

SANZAR and News Ltd may do a deal there and then, otherwise SANZAR can take their product to the open market.

"2009 will be a year that we utilise fully," said Tew.

"This is a very important decision ... not just for the financial strength of the three countries involved but it will help determine the landscape of rugby in the three countries," said Tew.

"We have to get this right and we are very conscious of our responsibility."

rugbyheaven.com

What is the bet they go down the same boring, money-spinning route and grant a license to Melbourne or South Africa. In my opinion if the SARFU want another side, they need to re-merge the Lions and Cheetahs, and bring in the largely black populated area of the Eastern Cape. While the Cheetahs are a success domestically, as far as I can tell it was a big mistake allowing them to join the competition. Granted I don't know much about the politics over there, but I believe developing the Eastern Cape would pay a great deal of reward for rugby in that country.

Logistically if they can make it work, the addition of Argentina to the Tri Nations would be great. Also, I quite like the idea of the revenue maximising conference style system. An annual home and away series between the Brumbies, Reds, Force, Waratahs and possibly a Pacific Island or Japanese team, before going on to play off against the other best teams in the competition would be fantastic.

If they are going to bring in a 5th Australian team (which they should) it has to be Victoria. I know so many rugby tragics who used to love AFL down there who are desperate for some rugby action and in line with their new stadium to be completed in 2010, it would provide some competition to the Melbourne Storm RL team. Hell snabbing a player like Inglis or Slater for a Victorian team would generate support for them from RL fans. A team in Japan, PI or Argentina is not an option, the travelling they do already is ridiculus and Victoria is close for Aus and NZ teams.

Agreed about the conference system Wally.

A 5th Australian team would only work if they lifted the restriction on import players... otherwise the Australian teams are going to be stretched for talent...

Anyways, it would be ideal if they could lure a whole lot of Argentinian and PI players... that would allow them to be eligible for their countries during our main international window...

Unfortunately I don't think the ARU could afford it...

I read somewhere that the Eastern Cape team would be exclusively black... maybe not even any coloureds. SARU going mad again...

Anyway here's what I'd do:

1. SA conference
Stormers
Cheetahs
Lions
Bulls
Sharks
Eastern Cape team

2. NZ conference
Chiefs
Hurricanes
Blues
Highlanders
Crusaders
another NZ team (Auckland wanted 2 no?)

3. Aus conference
Brumbies
Force
Reds
Waratahs
new team in Melbourne
new team elsewhere (Darwin/ Alice Springs)/ an Abo team like the RL dreamtime

4. Pacific conference
Argentine team
Argentine
Japanese
Samoan
Tongan
Fijian

Top of each conference goes through; 4 more places to the best losers (which would probs get round the problem of 2 pacific teams in the knockout stage)

semi-final

final.

Ie. make it a bit more like the Heineken cup. Each side has a minimum 10 games per season, maximum of 13, so then they have plenty of time to get on with their domestic comps.

The South Africans do... They're already in the process of building "London South-Africa", the 16th franchise!

It'll be a franchise based in Fulham and they'll wear red and black playing kits.

This'll be the Logo;
Saracens%20logo.gif

I like the conference idea. When either the Stormers, Bulls or Sharks play each other it's close to a sell out. It will also help ease the new Eastern Cape franchise into Super Rugby.
If I remember correctly many of the members on here posted ideas similar to this one when expansion was a hot topic a good few months ago.

Australia need another team NZ and SA can just wait inline for like Super 18 or something.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Mar 5 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A 5th Australian team would only work if they lifted the restriction on import players... otherwise the Australian teams are going to be stretched for talent...

Anyways, it would be ideal if they could lure a whole lot of Argentinian and PI players... that would allow them to be eligible for their countries during our main international window...

Unfortunately I don't think the ARU could afford it...[/b]
Spot on. Australia doesn't have the playing numbers for 4 successful teams let alone 5. They'll need to import talent from other countries or poach a hell of a lot of NRL players in order to be competitive. I could see a lot of Fijian, Samoan, Tongan and Argentinian players added to the Australian franchises.

If it's the case that players from these countries are brought in, what price on an expanded Tri Nations which would include Argentina initially and in future a composite Pac Islands team? Argentina have recently professionalised a core group of domestically based players. Factor in all their talent in Europe, the Super 15 and the probable later start of the Tri Nations (which would likely occur in the early part of the European season rather than the Euro off season as is the case now) and we could see a competitive Pumas side playing in an annual competition at last. The present Tri Nations sees each team play 6 games. Adding Argentina doesn't have to add extra games to the schedule rather each team only plays each other twice.

This concept interests me, a lot of potenial any of who gets it's internation teams.

Well, Melbourne would right now be the heavy favourite to become the 15th Super team entered.

The proposal is for 3 conferences (Aus, NZ and SA) with 5 teams a piece. It wouldn't make sense to add another SA or NZ team.

Anyways, JON has actually put forward that the new Australian team would make use of imports from the PI's, Argentina and also try to bring back current foreign based Australian players.

It's the only way it will work. He also mentioned 'league converts'. Can we please stop focusing on trying to lure players from other codes...

Thankfully, a Melbourne team would finally silence all those trolls within NSWRU circles who have been calling for the Brumbies to move down to Melbourne for years.

I like the conference idea!! Less fatigue more local derbies & Australia definitely need another team in order for the game to grow here. I also love the idea of the Pacific Nations, Japan & Argentina getting involved if we really want our game to be the world game.

So with the Eastern Cape team, maybe Namibia can amalgamate?

I'm a bit sick of these world cup blow outs!!

How about mixed groups in between the Super 14 season? Don't most players play in the same area? Like a Sharks player usually plays for Natal?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 5 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I read somewhere that the Eastern Cape team would be exclusively black... maybe not even any coloureds. SARU going mad again...

1. SA conference
Stormers
Cheetahs
Lions
Bulls
Sharks
Eastern Cape team

2. NZ conference
Chiefs
Hurricanes
Blues
Highlanders
Crusaders

3. Aus conference
Brumbies
Force
Reds
Waratahs
new team in Melbourne

4. Pacific conference
Argentine team
Argentine
Japanese
Samoan
Tongan
Fijian

Top of each conference goes through; 4 more places to the best losers (which would probs get round the problem of 2 pacific teams in the knockout stage)

semi-final

final.

Ie. make it a bit more like the Heineken cup. Each side has a minimum 10 games per season, maximum of 13, so then they have plenty of time to get on with their domestic comps.[/b]

Another great, well researched post by Gingerclown.

Australia will relax the import rules - let 4 import spots in per team, thats 20 extra players. Or SANZAR will make it Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans can play for any super 15 side and still be eligible for national selection of their respective country.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 6 2009, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1. SA conference
Stormers
Cheetahs
Lions
Bulls
Sharks
Eastern Cape team

2. NZ conference
Chiefs
Hurricanes
Blues
Highlanders
Crusaders

3. Aus conference
Brumbies
Force
Reds
Waratahs
new team in Melbourne

4. Pacific conference
Argentine team
Argentine
Japanese
Samoan
Tongan
Fijian

semi-final

final.

Ie. make it a bit more like the Heineken cup. Each side has a minimum 10 games per season, maximum of 13, so then they have plenty of time to get on with their domestic comps.[/b]

Are you stoned?

ALICE SPRINGS.. hahahahahaha......hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Latest posts