• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Highlanders - Lions in Dunedin (28-05-2011)

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
Highlanders v. Lions

Super%20Rugby.png

Carisbrook, Dunedin (28-05-2011 08:35 GMT)
Highlanders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Lions.png

The Highlanders will be looking to make the play offs this season. Last weekend was their best performance in weeks, without even playing. Getting 4 points for the bye, they passed the Sharks who lost to the Bulls. With matches left against the Western Force, the Waratahs and the Blues, it seems they can win at least 2, including this weekend's match where they face the Lions.

A match between the 2 has never been won by the visiting side since the Lions seperated from the Cheetahs in 2006. This will be the 4th time the Lions travel to the Otago area. Can the Lions win and shock another opponent overseas? Or will the Highlanders win and stay in place for the play offs?

Highlanders: Ben Smith, Kade Poki, Kendrick Lynn, Shaun Treeby, Siale Piutau, Lima Sopoaga, Jimmy Cowan; Nasi Manu, Alando Soakai, Adam Thomson, Josh Bekhuis, Jarrad Hoeata, Chris King, Mo Schwalger, Jamie Mackintosh (capt). Reserves: Jason Rutledge, Bronson Murray, Nick Crosswell, John Hardie, Aaron Smith, Matt Saunders, Robbie Robinson

a back to a full strength squad pretty much, will be intersting to see how some of those who havent played in a few weeks step up again

LIONS: Jaco Taute, Dylon des Fountain, Doppies la Grange (capt), Butch James, Deon van Rensburg, Elton Jantjies, Jano Vermaak, Josh Strauss (vc), Michael Rhodes, Derick Minnie, Franco van der Merwe, Wikus van Heerden, Patric Cilliers, Bandise Maku, JC Janse van Rensburg.
Replacements: Edgar Marutlulle, Jacobie Adriaanse, Warren Whiteley, Cobus Grobbelaar, Rory Kockott, Alwyn Hollenbach, Michael Killian.

Interesting to see Jantjies back, with Butch James moving out one place to 12.

On the Highlanders team:
Surprised to see Mo Schwalger given another start ahead of Rutledge. He is a strong runner in close to the ruck, and is probably a stronger scrummager than Rutledge, but he he certainly doesn't get around the park as well as Rutledge, and lacks Rutledges accuracy at lineout time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rutledge come on at half-time. Unfortunate to see Donnelly ruled out. He would most likely have been on the bench, but with him gone there is now no genuine lock on the bench (Croswell or Thomson will move into lock if one of the starting locks is injured). I wonder whether Joe Tuineau is injured or just not selected? Great to have Thomson back; he will want to re-discover his early season form to push for a spot in the AB's Tri-nations squad.

Great to have Treeby back in the midfield. Saunders did a solid job at 12, but Treeby offers a bit more attack with his deceptively powerful running. It's also great see Siale Piuatu back, as it was feared that his injury would rule him out for the season.

The forecast is for a fine day, so hopefully we get some good running rugby. Quite confident going into this game as a Highlanders supporter.... I'm picking the Highlanders to take it by 10-15 points.

Last edited:
The Highlanders at home won’t be an easy game for the Lions. I do think that the Lions can actually give the home side a fright if they play with the same intensity for 80 min. They have the one win overseas, it’s time for the Lions to move past that mental block and start showing us a full glimpse off their real capabilities. This might not happen this weekend but looking forward to a bright future if you are a Lions supporter.

I have been keeping my eye on the Lions, as I have been in a similar position not long ago with my Bulls team underperforming back in the super 10 â€" 12 years. Lions will give up a fight I am sure off that just have to see if it will be good enough. At the end the best bet will be on the Highlanders to take it and firmer their log position.<O:p</O:p

V bookie added and made the start of the thread look a bit nicer ;)

Sorry for being late this week with the match threads

If the Highlanders can weather the early storm from the Lions they'll be good for a 10 point win. The Lions are a difficult team to contain if they get their noses in front, smell blood and pick their tails up though.

Sorry for the horrible Lion puns LOL but seriously this is a young team and if the Highlanders allow them early point and they get that confidence going they might end up being difficult to put down. With he emphasis on -might- to be noted.

Last edited:
highlanders 8+

they should be fired up after the bye and shooting for 5 points. Come on boys make me proud.

Come on Highlanders!
I hope Adam Thomson has a few weeks worth of games saved up; Strauss and Whiteley are both good backrowers.

Just a quick weather update: A typically beautiful Dunedin day here, not a cloud in the sky. Should be great conditions for an open game of running rugby tonight. Hopefully it doesn't get too cold, as I haven't managed to get myself into a corporate box for this match, so will have to sit outside in the terraces with the rest of the crowd ;)

Been a decent, yet error laden, game so far, currently 16 all with a try and 3 penalties a piece

Highlanders not looking anywhere near the side from the start of the season, but as the commentator(s) constantly bring up, they did have a bye last week...

That fight looked good, until you got to see what started it. The Lions player did the an extremely dangerous headlock-flip.

hahaha Lions might win another game on tour. Unlucky Highlanders, they needed that kick to go out.

Lions win!!! WOOHOO!!! This is good for the Sharks. Thank you Jo'burg!!!

Great win for the Lions. But that clearout on Piutau that started the fight was disgusting. I don't care if it was just bad technique, that could have had absolutely horrible consequences and whoever it was that did it deserves a few months out I think.

Message to Lima Sopoaga:

When your team are leading by 3 points with 2 minutes to go, and you get a penalty on your own 22, don't try to be a hero and make 50 metres with the touchfinder....

JUST KICK THE FVCKING BALL OUT!!!!

Great win for the Lions. But that clearout on Piutau that started the fight was disgusting. I don't care if it was just bad technique, that could have had absolutely horrible consequences and whoever it was that did it deserves a few months out I think.

It was disgusting, surely you can feel that you have grabbed a neck and not a chest?
Horrible, hope whoever it is gets banned for a while, hopefully the victim is not cited for his punch, it was more than justified

I sure didnt see this one come. Good away win for Leeus that doesnt happen often. It is maybe more the Highlander losing than the Leeus winning? Altho the lions were uncaracteristic in pushing for a win so late. It is almost always often they opposition that runs in the late tries. Mitchhel is giving them heart.

Message to Lima Sopoaga:

When your team are leading by 3 points with 2 minutes to go, and you get a penalty on your own 22, don't try to be a hero and make 50 metres with the touchfinder....

JUST KICK THE BALL OUT!!!!

Agree. That just cost Jabby 1100 vCash.

Last edited:
Message to Lima Sopoaga:

JUST KICK THE FVCKING BALL OUT!!!!

I think about 8,000 people in the stadium were thinking exactly the same thing...
The thing I don't understand is why Sopoaga was taking the kick for touch in the first place, as Ben Smith had been taking these kicks (quite effectively) all game. I assume Smith was still on the field (unless he snuck off injured and I didn't notice).

Anyways, first off, well done to the Lions. I felt the deserved the win, as unlike the Highlanders they managed keep hold of the ball and build pressure. I was particularly impressed with big Josh Strauss at 8,as he seemed to make big metres every time he got the ball in hand. I thought Jantjies looked good at 10 (and importantly his goal-kicking was flawless); he always looked a threat taking the ball to the line. I also like the look of Taute at fullback, as he looks to be one with a big future.

There were few standouts for the Highlanders, as they looked disjointed as a team. I felt the team really missed Adam Thomson's ability at the breakdown, but Nick Crosswell did have a strong game in his place, looking very good with ball in hand. Likewise I thought his loose-forward partner Nasi Manu had a strong game. I've been critical of Manu during the year as his handling and defense, but I can't remember him making any errors tonight, and he was one of the few Highlanders forwards that consistently managed to break the advantage line.

I thought Cowan had a pretty scrappy game at halfback, making a few handling errors and poor passes, as well as kicking the ball out on the full on one occasion. Treeby made a good return both in attack and defense, while Lynn also looked good in defense. The Highlanders outside backs were pretty quiet; Smith made one big break, but overall I don't think he was as impressive as he has been in previous weeks (he still had a solid game though).

I'm lazy and a little annoyed, so i'm gonna copy and paste my little rant that i sent to CA Iverson over Facebook,
"I just couldn't believe sopoaga missed that kick to touch at the end! Why the hell was he looking for so much distance? Surely the tactic was: kick to touch, waste some time getting to the lineout, secure the ball, pick and drive, pick and drive for 3 minutes and kick the ball out. That's it! ****** me off to no end!"
To which CA responded,
"I almost believe Robbie Robinson and Sopoaga need to have a long talk to a sports psychologist or something. The ability is there, but the understanding of what happens when you get the basics wrong seems to have gone out the window."

We are a bunch of brilliant minds when it comes to talking about rugby after a few jugs of the south's finest brew.

While good news for the Sharks, shame for the Highlanders.
Any idea when Tony Brown will be back?

Latest posts