• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super dupa 14 run down by da don of this site

• Thread starter THE CHIROPRACTOR101
  • Start date
From a Saffa perspective: our 5 teams were confirmed in November, with the Cats taking the 5th slot after some sanity prevailed in the SA rugby boardroom- cue huge thunderstorms over Jo`burg!

Here are the teams, and a quick rundown:

-Stormers: the Auckland of SA teams, always overpromising and under-delivering.
[/b]

The difference is we've at least managed to win three ***les.

Well statistically speaking the Stormers have been the second best team in the Super rugby for SA (*since the Super 12 that is*), I think that's why it's so frustrating when they don't deliver.

The Sharks have been our best team by far though, getting a 4th place in 96 a 4th in 97 a 3rd in 98 and 2nd in 2001.

But what I think Bokmagic meant was from an SA perspective, no SA team has ever won a Super12 or 14 but in terms of just a solid performance, the stormers allways seem to have a killer team and then end up 10th or something. If they just play like they did in the currie cup this year (*and I know that's no measuring stick for S14 level*) they'll do a lot better IMO. They played out and out attacking rugby, the kind which you love to watch. Unfortunately the defence was poor at times but as long as you score more tries then te oposition you're still going to win.

I don`t want to sound overly pessimistic really, but the only NZ team that`ll really be hampered by the absence of the rested AB`s are the Hurricanes, who rely very heavily on their AB back row, and who`ll be without Umanga also. Certainly the Crusaders will miss some of their star players, but they haven`t been so dominant in the comp. because of their stars- excellent coaches and fantastic structures are what have made them champions- and those are still in place. I really can`t see anyone scooping the ***le from them this year, nor the 1st place on the log.

WRT the Stormers backline, there are several international 7`s stars in their ranks- they`ll score a shiteload of tries, but unfortunately leak plenty too. I still stand by that comment- it`ll be one of the most exciting backlines in the history of the comp. Best? Possibly not, but most exciting, definately.
[/b]

Fair enough, i was just thinking of some the old Brumbies,Blues,Hurricanes backlines and how exciting they were.

Anyway, one guy you didn't mention (who i was a fan of last year) is Rayno Benjamin, whats the story with him? does he still play for the Stormers?

Oh, and did i miss something about Umaga?... last i heard he had just arrived back in NZ (with a shitload of $$$) and was looking very sharpe during a recent Hurricanes training session.

<div class='quotemain'>
I don`t want to sound overly pessimistic really, but the only NZ team that`ll really be hampered by the absence of the rested AB`s are the Hurricanes, who rely very heavily on their AB back row, and who`ll be without Umanga also. Certainly the Crusaders will miss some of their star players, but they haven`t been so dominant in the comp. because of their stars- excellent coaches and fantastic structures are what have made them champions- and those are still in place. I really can`t see anyone scooping the ***le from them this year, nor the 1st place on the log.

WRT the Stormers backline, there are several international 7`s stars in their ranks- they`ll score a shiteload of tries, but unfortunately leak plenty too. I still stand by that comment- it`ll be one of the most exciting backlines in the history of the comp. Best? Possibly not, but most exciting, definately.
[/b]

Fair enough, i was just thinking of some the old Brumbies,Blues,Hurricanes backlines and how exciting they were.

Anyway, one guy you didn't mention (who i was a fan of last year) is Rayno Benjamin, whats the story with him? does he still play for the Stormers?

Oh, and did i miss something about Umaga?... last i heard he had just arrived back in NZ (with a shitload of $$$) and was looking very sharpe during a recent Hurricanes training session.
[/b][/quote]
Rayno Benjamin plays for the Cheetahs now, he's playing on the wing this weekend in their trial against the Central Unions.

Ah yes, the Rayno Benjamin and Jongi Nokwe stuff-up- for some or other reason, Fester Adams a.k.a. Kobus vd Merwe( Stormers coach) has decided that these 2 excellent players are surplus to requirements- Benjamin will be a major gain for the Cheetahs, while Nokwe will be plying his trade with the Lions. His reasoning being maybe that he wants to play Sireli Naqelivuki on the 1 wing, whereas I`d have had him at 13, partnering the creative Jean De Villiers at 12. Dodgy call by Fester, that one.

Yup, Boggle, you`ve got it spot-on: very frustrating for us Mountain Goats when the Stormers always send out a team that should kick ass on paper, then to just end up comfortably in the bottom half of the comp. I heard a rumour that the powers that be are considering covering the Newlands turf with paper this season, as the Stormers line-up always looks good on paper...........

Be that as it may, I`ll still shout for them this season, even if they have an idiot for a coach. People change their brands of drink, cars, cigarettes, heck even their wives sometimes, but NEVER their rugby team.

Be that as it may, I`ll still shout for them this season, even if they have an idiot for a coach. People change their brands of drink, cars, cigarettes, heck even their wives sometimes, but NEVER their rugby team.
[/b]

Aww hell no !

Stormers FTW, even if they lose..... :rolleyes:

But I really do think that we'll atleast get top half this year, after the revolution that was Luke watson and the currie cup we must !

Bokmagic & Boggle,

I understand your frustrations.

The Blues are on the same wavelength. Every year we start off with a squad that looks very very good on paper, but never deliver (sometimes). We have so many talent in our region (damn, we even *loan* some of our players out to other franchises) that we - on paper - should be conquering everything and everyone.

Well, at least this year we got should get off to a good start after the relocation of Lavea south of the Bombay Hills. :cheers:

It would have to be either Daniel Halangahu or Sam Norton-Knight. With Beale probably on the bench. I'd say it will be Halangahu, as a fancy Sam Norton-Knight as a fullback. NK was certainly a talent that the Brumbies missed in 2006, but they have more than made up for it this season in Julian Huxley, Christian Lealifaano, Gene Fairbanks and Anthony Faingaa. Also, I forgot to mention this earlier: Watch out for the flyer Francis (pronounced: Franky) Fainifo on the wing when he gets a chance. He is seriously a great player!!

All About Worldcup

Latest posts