• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Ibérica de Rugby

Chevalier

Academy Player
Country Flag
Bermuda
Club or Nation
Harlequins
A franchise tournament that took place in Spain in 2009 (it was supposed to have portuguese and gilbratarian franchises too, but never happened) As far as I know it had just one season, I wonder if anyone knows more about it, About why it no longer exists and if it wouldn´t help spanish rugby since the club system in Spain, as far as I know, works on an amateur level

A franchise tournament that took place in Spain in 2009 (it was supposed to have portuguese and gilbratarian franchises too, but never happened) As far as I know it had just one season, I wonder if anyone knows more about it, About why it no longer exists and if it wouldn´t help spanish rugby since the club system in Spain, as far as I know, works on an amateur level

The more I tried to dig in, the dirtier it was getting

It was a more than enough improvised thing...no Gibraltar, no Portugal, franchises made up from some clubs but not others, etc

You know...every little king wants to remain the sole ruler of his little kingdom. From spanish federation to clubs, sponsors, etc, they weren't able to work together

Rugby is our only one sport remaining largely unknown and abandoned by the general population

Thanks for your response, Da Grappla
It´s very sad to hear that, I really thought, when I first heard about the Super Iberica, that it was the thing that iberian countries (mainly Spain) would need to start the profesional evolution of rugby there.
It´s a shame it didn´t work out, but is there any project for something similar, or any project to make rugby a pro sport in Spain?
Muchas gracias y hasta pronto, espero que tengamos un equipo español profesional y que España pueda llegar a ser una fuerza en nuestro deporte

Latest posts