• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Súper Liga Americana, new South American Pro Rugby Competition

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/11/27/teams-for-super-liga-americana/

Teams for the Súper Liga Americana have been revealed. Lisandro Olearo has confirmed that six teams will compete in the competition, each being from a different country. The teams are to be Los Ceibos (Argentina), Corinthians (Brazil), Selknam (Chile), Cafeteros (Colombia), Olimpia (Paraguay), and Peñarol (Uruguay).
It's an exciting development. Presumably it will largely professionalize the national teams in Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay and Uruguay as well as giving an opportunity to the next tier of players in Argentina.

A potential pitfall could be linking up with pro soccer clubs. Are fans of Santos, Palmieras and Sao Paulo going to support a team bearing the name of Corinthians? Likewise will Danubio and Nacional fans cheer on Penarol?

Selfishly I am rooting for it to fail. Maybe not to fail but to not succeed to much.
Basically I want best South American players to play in MLR.

Presumably we'll see MLR flooded with players from English speaking nations and Súper Liga Americana will draw players from South America, primarily Argentina initially.

It's brilliant to see SLA, MLR, Global Rapid Rugby and the new proposed Japanese league take pro rugby to new areas.

Selfishly I am rooting for it to fail. Maybe not to fail but to not succeed to much.

Me too, but for purely selfish reasons. I want the MLR to get the best possible players they can, especially the Legion (my team in San Diego).

Last edited:
Shame on you @themole25 & @RugbyUSA !! This could be potentially very beneficial for the USA as well. Should both the MLR and this SLA become success stories, it could open the possibility of having the potential to have the Leagues combine forces to have a cross-continental tournament of their own.

It's just 6 teams, one from each country, so there shouldn't be really any threat to the MLR. It's a good place to start, getting the general public interested in the sport will also develop the growth of more people wanting to play the sport.

I agree the teams should have all been franchises, even if the management was a football club.
Hope it does well, although what about the players from Sth Am playing in MLR. Will they be moving?

Shame on you @themole25 & @RugbyUSA !! This could be potentially very beneficial for the USA as well. Should both the MLR and this SLA become success stories, it could open the possibility of having the potential to have the Leagues combine forces to have a cross-continental tournament of their own.

It's just 6 teams, one from each country, so there shouldn't be really any threat to the MLR. It's a good place to start, getting the general public interested in the sport will also develop the growth of more people wanting to play the sport.

Not to worry, I was only joking. IMHO, the more rugby leagues the better. And I hope SLA is a huge success!

I agree the teams should have all been franchises, even if the management was a football club.
Hope it does well, although what about the players from Sth Am playing in MLR. Will they be moving?
Apparently arata is leaving Austin, which is a huge shame.

And I am glad that there is now a professional rugby in South America. The more full time rugby players in the world the better the game is. I just hope that it becomes a stepping stone to mlr instead of an equal league.

d743c0d8c631fcd18a64156ea58d0581_1575068870.gif

It was officially launched on friday in Montevideo the first proffesional rugby league of South America, with a generic name thought for a future expansion to the Central or even North America countries.

The initial season will start in february 2020 in a round robin of 5 teams composed of a mixture of franchises and football soccer clubs, with semi-finals and final.
One sixth team will add fully in 2021, but first will play two games in 2020 with the last team of the group.

The teams are from Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, and Colombia. One per country in the first season, expecting one more fron Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay in next editions.

Ceibos - Córdoba, Argentina (franchise) -
Corinthians - Sao Paulo, Brazil (sport club)
Selknam - santiago, Chile (franchise)
Olimpia Lions - Asunción, Paraguay (sport club)
Peñarol - Montevideo, Uruguay (sport club)
Cafeteros Pro - Bogotá, Colombia (franchise)

EKlE1rDWkAIpATt.png

EKlV2bxW4AASfVB.jpg

Last edited:
Head Coaches

Ceibos - Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe
Corinthians - Fernando Portugal
Selknam - Pablo Lemoine
Peñarol - Pablo Bouza
Olimpia Lions - Raúl Pérez
Cafeteros - David Jaramillo

Eventually, I'd like to see the Super Liga Americana champion play the Major League Rugby champion in a Championship of the America's ***le match.

Last edited:
I think there are still some questionmarks over this. Chile have cancelled their domestic football season due to civil unrest. One side isnt playing in the full season and will only play a one-off against the lowest ranked side.

At least Raul Perez has found his coaching level!

This is pretty essential to increase the player pool in south American countries. MLR will always have the money to attract most of the best Americas talent due to economy and currency matters. This should further help the competitiveness of the ARC.

Dont worry if MLR has money you will get players. I can see a lot of 30+ still good players going there to play for good $$$. Also the states is a good place if that player drags their families with them.

As for the South american league its going to be nice. Basically i think is going to be lots of full national squads for all the teams except arg team that is mosly composed by 2nd tier jags players.

Peñarol signed Houston SaberCats trio Mateo Sanguinetti, Alejandro Nieto and Santiago Arata. Andres Vilaseca (Austin) is the 4th MLR player to join the uruguayan team.

Young portuguese duo Raffaele Storti (winger) and Jeronimo Portela (flyhalf), both internationals at senior level, are also moving to Peñarol, as namibian international (15 caps) lock Max Katjijeko.
Argentinans Mauro Genco (prop) and Alfredo Pueyrredón (scrumhalf) also signed Peñarol that includes 17 uruguayan internationals at the moment.

Six argentinians joined Olimpia including Pumas stars Manuel Montero (27 caps) and Gabriel Ascarate (18 caps) and various Argentina XV players. Spanish scrumhalf Facundo Munilla (19 caps) is also moving to the paraguayan franchise that includes 9 paraguayans at the moment.

Brazil eightman Arthur Bergo from Utah Warriors MLR will lead Corinthians

Los Ceibos is a mix of Argentina XV and Argentina U20 players. Winger Tomas Cubilla will lead the squad

welp, i have completely changed my mind.

Actual crowds, actual skill, and good camera work. This should be real lesson to MLR that they are way behind where they should be. Brand new teams that have actual passion. Can't wait for this to grow so we can see intranational derbies.

are they really gonna trasmited for free on youtube? I could had seen it on the tv instead that on the computer, due to that awful ESPN play app not working on the Smart tv for some reason