TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
The Super Rugby Season has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

SANZAAR made the announcement over the weekend during Round 7 of the tournament, with the match between the Jaguares and the Highlanders being cancelled.

All teams that are on tour will return home up until the tournament will resume, and if it will continue or not.

While it's still unclear as to when and if the tournament will continue, I will keep you all updated of any developments surrounding this issue.

The lengths to which sanzaar is willing to go to prevent jaguares from winning this season's trophy are simply ridiculous.
SANZAAR or the Corona virus? Or Bat's even maybe bats don't like the Jaguares?

All jokes aside though Super rugby will probably be cancelled with no winner so I can argue that the Sharks are being robbed of one of their best chances of winning the ***le in years.

Blues fans can be the most annoyed i think, best start to a season since 2011 and all with no sign of slowing down

i say flag it, we might even get to see a mitre 10 cup with some all blacks!

SANZAAR or the Corona virus? Or Bat's even maybe bats don't like the Jaguares?

All jokes aside though Super rugby will probably be cancelled with no winner so I can argue that the Sharks are being robbed of one of their best chances of winning the ***le in years.

It's really just too early to say.

If it's delayed by a month, then the playoffs will just fall into the June international window. Or alternatively they will move the playoffs to after the June window, and before the RC, with the RC being moved by a few weeks.

It all depends on how long this pandemic will be of concern.

Last edited:
Has the billionaire owner of the Western Force (Andrew Forrest) given up on his baby, Global Rapid Rugby? The article didn't say. I know it's been suspended due to the Covid 19 epidemic, but I wonder if he'll use this opportunity to make another run at Super Rugby full time later on.

If Australia have 5 teams South Africa will want 5 teams.

Although I would love a Super 16 (single round robin) so long as it had the following teams.

1. Jaguares
2. Bulls, Cheetahs, Lions, Sharks, Stormers,
3. Brumbies, Force, Rebels, Reds, Waratahs
4. Blues, Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders, Hurricanes.

Each team plays each other once, 15 games. (1 less game than current system) Don't need the Kings or Sunwolves.

I think there is enough strength in depth for 5 South African and New Zealand Teams (6 was too far for the South Africans), is there enough for 5 Australian Teams?

I think the lessons from the Super 18 experiment is don't spread your teams too thinly and nothing beats a single round robin format.

B-O63n6Fy0s

Although I would love a Super 16 (single round robin) so long as it had the following teams.

1. Jaguares

Each team plays each other once, 15 games. (1 less game than current system) Don't need the Kings or Sunwolves.

I think there is enough strength in depth for 5 South African and New Zealand Teams (6 was too far for the South Africans), is there enough for 5 Australian Teams?

I think the lessons from the Super 18 experiment is don't spread your teams too thinly and nothing beats a single round robin format.

I like your Super 16 and think it would be the perfect number of teams.

1. Jaguares

I would swap the Rebels the sunwolves, i live in melbourne and they have NO market footprint...at all...almost anyone going to games are expats (either from NZ, RSA or rugby regions of Aus), the sunwolves have a strengthening domestic comp below them, it might not be providing as many players as it should but it is providing fans

I agree with the Round Robin idea but i don't think increasing the amount of teams is viable. Most stadiums are no where near capacity so surely that needs to be addressed

I would swap the Rebels the sunwolves, i live in melbourne and they have NO market footprint...at all...almost anyone going to games are expats (either from NZ, RSA or rugby regions of Aus), the sunwolves have a strengthening domestic comp below them, it might not be providing as many players as it should but it is providing fans

Hi Jabby. I have a feeling the Sunwolves will play in the new Japanese Rugby Union league that begins in 2021.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/japan-new-rugby-union-domestic-league-plans-2021

whats the deal with the new Japanese league, they already have one dont they?, saw it announced but dont really get whats different

Yes, they have one. I don't know all the details, but there's a lot of capitalist$ in Japan that are always trying new ventures, like here in the USA. The NFL, NBA and NHL all took in teams from competitor leagues. If you aren't allowed in at first, start you're own league and if you're successful you might get an invite to join later.

Latest posts