Venue: FMG Stadium Waikato
Time: 09:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Sunday, 21 June 2020

vpS1LbI.png
Er9w71N.png
MQA0SnJ.png

Venue: Sky Stadium
Time: 05:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I think the Blues will keep rolling for this, the first game had a chance of being s boggy game for them after a start to the old comp but the kept form

no idea with the canes/saders, saders lost a lot of experience last year, canes will want to bounce back

The Blues team is:

15 Beauden Barrett, 14 Mark Telea, 13 Rieko Ioane, 12 TJ Faiane, 11 Caleb Clarke, 10 Otere Black, 9 Sam Nock; 8 Hoskins Sotutu, 7 Dalton Papalii, 6 Akira Ioane, 5 Josh Goodhue, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu ©, 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 2 James Parsons, 1 Alex Hodgman.

Reserves: 16 Kurt Eklund, 17 Marcel Renata, 18 Sione Mafileo, 19 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 20 Tony Lamborn, 21 Finlay Christie, 22 Harry Plummer, 23 Matt Duffie.

Gallagher Chiefs:

Aidan Ross (32)
Samisoni Taukei'aho (29)
Nepo Laulala (34)
Tupou Vaa'I (1)
Naitoa Ah Kuoi (7)
Luke Jacobson (23)
Lachlan Boshier (50)
Pita Gus Sowakula (21)
Brad Weber (78) ©
Aaron Cruden (95)
Sean Wainui (31)
Anton Lienert-Brown (75)
Quinn Tupaea (5)
Shaun Stevenson (49)
Damian McKenzie (77)

Reserves:

Bradley Slater (8)
Reuben O'Neill (4)
Ross Geldenhuys (6)
Adam Thomson (1)
Dylan Nel (2)
Lisati Milo-Harris (2)
Kaleb Trask (5)
Solomon Alaimalo (43)

I'm wondering now... the blues loosies were excellent last week as a trio, especially before Gibson got injured but definitely afterward as well. It's very different this time, with ione at 6 in an unaccustomed position, instead of the more versatile Tom Robinson. Do they have the mix right? It's all power. The chiefs lopsided were overall quite poor but no doubt will improve this week as there would have been a big focus on the breakdown at the review and in training. Still, very inexperienced locks won't help with their organisation and cohesion against what was a very organised blues pack last week.

I expected lienert brown to be moved to 13 to defend against rieko, but that hasn't happened. On the flip side riekos defence will be tested again; it stood up last week against hard running but highly structured opposition, how will it go against the unstructured play of the chiefs? Will be interesting to see.

I hope the Chiefs can win this to keep things interesting (for me). Hopefully being at home and Cruden can make the difference.

Half Time - Blues 10 Chiefs 9. Low scoring, but very competitive in a constant rain.

Last edited:
Blues win 24-12 in Hamilton. Chiefs fall to 0-2 in this short season. :eek:

Blues played a really good game. Two tight heads as well. Thoroughly deserved their win.

Not only is the Hurricanes vs Crusaders match on ESPN+, but it's also on ESPN 2. Pro rugby is getting much more viewership in the USA tonight. :)

Crusaders lead at half time, 19-15.

Last edited:
Crusaders win 39-25 in a very good match. After two weekends, Super Rugby Aotearoa has been very competitive.

Strange game. So many penalties. Bungled lineouts, so little scrums, and yet quite entertaining rugby. Crusaders deserved the win. Hurricanes look a bit toothless.

Two Rounds in and the Table looks (something) like this:

Blues: 2-0
Crusaders: 1-0
Highlanders: 1-0
Chiefs: 0-2
Hurricanes: 0-2

Absolutely frothing for this season. My guess is a Saders/Blues final, but anything can happen. Can't wait to see DC play against his old squad.

Rugby PickEm did a Super Rugby Aotearoa season preview featuring Mickey Bateman. He played his first XV rugby at King's College in Auckland and gives insight on the AB's future talent pool.

http://www.rugbypickem.com/2020/06/super-rugby-aotearoa.html

Strange game. So many penalties. Bungled lineouts, so little scrums, and yet quite entertaining rugby. Crusaders deserved the win. Hurricanes look a bit toothless.

What on earth is going on with the Hurricane's line out? Dane Coles is a great open field player, but my lord he's gotta clean up his line out throw.

What on earth is going on with the Hurricane's line out? Dane Coles is a great open field player, but my lord he's gotta clean up his line out throw.
thats 2 weeks now that Dane has had a lot of errant throws. wtf is up with that? dane needs to go back to the drawing board

Latest posts