• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Blues vs. Crusaders in Auckland (01/03/2013)

Didn't Taylor deliver a sublime performance last time he stood in for DC?
Man of the match if I recall, think he is underrated

He spent a bit of time at 10 at the start of last season when Carter was out injured. He did a pretty good job - his goal-kicking is exceptional - but I don't think he was as good as many people suggested. The Crusaders backline seldom fired with him at 10, and he didn't really control the game that well (it was his first season of Super Rugby though...). His versatility (he can play 10,12, and 15) is an advantage in some ways, but I do it would be better for him of he was able to concentrate on only position...

He is pretty fairly rated like Darwin mentioned.

His pace may be an issue, especially with Whitelock on one wing. That is a real lack of excitement in the outside back division.

Shaggy,

I hear what you are saying, but I'm of teh opinion that Blackadder inherited a champion side.

IMO, he was (and still remains) an unproven coach.
I was quite suprised to hear him named as head coach at the time, especially when you consider Rob Penney had been bringing the ***les back to Christchurch for years.

Just my opinion, but I guess this year will be make or break for Blackadder
... possibly anyway; he might have an "out" with Richie McCaw being on sabbatical.

As a Blues fan, I am getting more and more nervous about this game as the days go by.... looking forward to heading to Eden Park tomorrow night, i've got a feeling its going to live up to the hype...
Aaaahhh Rugby season... bring it on!!

I'm not reading too much into Blackadders claims that the Crusaders are looking at playing a more expansive, running style. Because he said this before the pre-season game against the Waratahs and they failed to deliver this so called plan. The Crusaders play the way the Crusaders play and it works, don't change the formula.

With that said, The Blues weren't THAT impressive last week. Up until the last quarter they were trailing that match and yes they won I'll give them that BUT, the Hurricanes lost that match just as much as the Blues won and the Crusaders aren't a team that blows their leads. They are very cynical in ever aspect of the game and put points on you when it matters, and most importantly, THEY'RE THE BLIMMIN' CRUSADERS!...

So I think the Saders will come out with a good old fashioned Crusaders victory here.

I'm really looking forward to this match. The Crusaders are traditionally slow starters to the season, and I'm sure the Blues will be wanting to continue their momentum from last weekend. However I feel the Crusaders will be a much harder match-up for the Blues. The Canes were tactically very naive against the Blues last weekend, and I don't expect the Crusaders with the likes of Ellis and Carter to make the same mistakes!

Up front I see the Crusaders having the edge, though much will depend on Owen Franks. If he can give McCartney a hard time in the scrum the Blues will struggle to get a solid platform to work from. On the other side both Faumuina vs Crockett is a really interesting match-up, and both will be looking to have big seasons to push there cases for AB's selection. The Crusaders have an obvious edge in the locks with their AB's combination, though the Blues locks both had solid performances last weekend. Williams vs Whitelock at lineout time will be good to watch! I'm particularly looking forward to some of the match-ups in the loosies. Todd vs Braid at 7 will be particularly interesting, and could have a big impact on the match. Saili needs to repeat last weekends performance against the best 8 in the world this weekend, while likewise Luatua will want to continue his strong form. I see the loose-forwards as being pretty even.

Ellis vs Weepu is an interesting battle at halfback, with both having a lot to prove. Both players read the game very well, and I expect to see Ellis do quite a bit of tactical kicking this match. I'm looking forward to seeing the Blues midfield in action again, though I suspect Crotty and Carter will be much better equipped than the Canes inside backs were to nullify the Blues inside runners. It will be interesting to see how Fruean goes defensively - he is usually fine if he can get hold of the attacking players, so may be ok against a Blues team that relies more on pace and power rather than guile. Outwide I'm expecting Dagg to cause Halai a lot of problems, as he is still suspect in defense (and Dagg is pretty handy!). On the other wing it will be interesting - Whitelock will contain Moala as long as he closes down his space quickly, but if he gives him any room it will be all over (and Moala is very quick, and Whitelock is slowwwwww.....). I do expect both Blues wings will be targeted with high balls this week....

Overall I'm picking the Crusaders to come away with the win due to their advantage up front, and in the halves (read: Dan Carter). It should be a pretty close game though - maybe a 5-10 point margin.

Still at work for another 3 hours (watching NY Rangers at the moment) and when I get home, I will get ready for this cracker! Will have to get some sleep afterwards though ;)

Just finished a three hour drive, don't feel like sleeping.
Bring it on!

How the hell did Ashwin Willemse ever get a job with SuperSport? He cannot even put 2 sentences together in English.

The Blues are my 2nd team this year and I hope they do well.

Their front row may not be the best at scrum time but McCartney and Parsons are fun to watch in the loose. Parson's is mid twenties apparently, where's he been hiding, looks like a bit of a find to me. (Suppose in Harbour a team I never have liked to watch)

Big strong runners in abundance, plenty of flair. The fact that they are going to be unpredictable makes me want to watch them.
My head says Crusaders by 5-10, but I'd love to see the Blues get up here.

Piutau, F Saili and Halai are some of my favourites at the mo, Especially Piutau.

After Carter makes it 0-3 from a penalty, Weepu tries to tie it but hits the post. Blues now a line out just outside the Crusaders 22

Try!!!!!!!!!!!! Blues score the first try of the match!!! Crusaders got caught napping and Luatua crosses the line. Good attack by the Blues and the Crusaders couldn't win it at the breakdown.

Weepu misses his second kick, 5-3

Forwards got to get to breakdowns, at the same time we gotta becareful of running in isolation. Try had to come, Piris miss kick has a silver lining

Crusaders are very, very sloppy.

By the way: Bird makes Read look small!

As an aside, I must say it's nice to see the Blues wearing something different tonight.

Sure the harlequin jersey isn't QUITE right, but it would be great to see the NZ teams break away from using the exact same Adidas template.

Bird makes most players look small....

EDIT: good tackle by Crotty...

Carter slots another one: 5-6

Weepu converts his 3rd kick of the day, first one successful. 8-6 now

Blues have the chance to take back the lead after some good work by Luke Braid.

EDIT: nails it.

Latest posts