• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Sharks vs. Cheetahs in Durban (20/04/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

Kings Park, Durban
Sharks.png
Versus%20Super.png
Cheetahs.png

Referee: Jonathon White
22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Assistant Referees: Marius Jonker
22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
& Stefan Breytenbach

TMO: Shaun Veldsman

Sharks-Cheetahs is the first of a double-header in South Africa on Saturday. Both teams have performed well so far, with the Cheetahs being an absolute surprise, winning 3 out of 4 matches on their tour, and the Sharks having the best defense in the competition. This will be a match where the best defense will play the most exciting offense. This game will decide who will be top of the SA conference at the end of the weekend. If the Cheetahs win, they will possibly pass the Sharks on the log, with the difference being only 3 points. Can the Cheetahs score tries against this team, like they did in week 2? The Brumbies (4 tries) and Cheetahs (3 tries) combine for 70% of the conceded tries by the Sharks. The Cheetahs however, are known for their flamboyant playing style, which unfortunately results in conceding more tries than they're scoring themselves. Can they get their defensive line ready for the Sharks back-line and win in Durban?

Some stats:
The Sharks have the best defense in the competition with only 115 points conceded.

On attack, the Sharks struggle. They have scored the least tries in the competition (13). Only the Bulls and Stormers are equally bad at crossing the try-line. Even the Highlanders, who have yet to record a win this year, have scored more tries (14).

History in Durban:
2012: Sharks 34-15 Cheetahs
2011: Sharks 24-9 Cheetahs
2010: Sharks 20-25 Cheetahs
2008: Sharks 33-14 Cheetahs
2006: Sharks 26-27 Cheetahs

The Cheetahs have been a real bogey team for the Sharks since the turn of the century, both at Super Rugby and Currie Cup level. However, the last few years that seems to have changed. The last time the Cheetahs won in Durban in 2010, current Sharks full-back Riaan Viljoen scored the only Cheetahs try and added 2 penalties to give them a 20-25 win. The only other win was in 2006, the first time the Cheetahs franchise played in Durban after the expansion to 14 teams.

Cheetahs coach Naka Drotske has made one change to the team that lost to the Bulls for this weekend's Super Rugby match against the Sharks in Durban.
Drotske has rotated Trevor Nyakane down to the bench and brought Coenie Oosthuisen into the starting line up.

Cheetahs
Coenie Oosthuisen ,Adriaan Strauss (captain),, Lourens Adriaanse, Lodewyk de Jager,Francois Uys,Heinrich Brussow, Lappies Labuschagne, Phillip van der Walt,Piet van Zyl, Burton Francis, Raymond Rhule, Robert Ebersohn,Johan Sadie, Willie le Roux, Hennie Daniller
Replacements: Ryno Barnes, Trevor Nyakane, Landman Ligtoring, Frans Viljoen , Tewis de Bruyn, Brummer Francois, Ryno Benjamin.

sharksc.jpg

Attachments

• sharksc.jpg
    sharksc.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Altho it will be hard I'm still backing up the Free state men.

Ive gotta back the Sharks here... They need to win to get the Hurricanes clear for that playoff spot.. It starts this week. Sharks by 10

Piet Lindique is back with the Sharks, Jaco Kriel has returned to the Lions apparently.
Plum has dropped Kankowski due to 'form'.

What the hell is going on??? Our player management is abysmal, and I've been saying it for two years.

With the Cheetahs starting with Coenie they are indicating a full onslaught in the first half.
If the can get well ahead they might have a chance as they are going to tire in the 2nd half
No bye after 10 rounds and teams like Waratahs and Stormers had 2 already.
This current format is so flawed its laughable

@ Draggs - Kanko was a passenger last game and all know Steyn is well below average this season. Most would have done the same if they were the coach, at least your loose trio now have some bulk and grunt

Sharks to win at home, that is what I would normally bet on but I sense a bit of panic in the Sharks camp. They have only lost 2 x games but are dropping top class players when they can least afford to with key player injuries.

Jp Pieterson, Ludik (good form) is injured, Jannie dropped to the bench, Kamkowski dropped from squad. This will either bolster or break the team spirit in the squad. I feel Keegan is trying to ensure he has a spot for when Alberts returns. Alberts, Marcell Coetzee and Deysel would be formidable with Kanko coming off the bench. Kanko also gives the Sharks that extra line-out option. In my opinion, if the Cheetahs are ever going to beat the Sharks away from home tomorrow is as good a day as any!

Andries Coetzee shifted to replace Robinson, Bresler to second row/du Toit to blindside, Deysel on bench along with Robinson.

Horrible match so far. I hope Mtawarira's injury isn't serious.

Sack Plum, Sack Reece-Edwards, Sack Daniel for those terrible calls.
Steyn blew a huge overlap earlier on, one of the many mistakes made by the team. Viljoen and Reinach were the only ones that looked up for it.

It could be worse...they could be the Highlanders. ;)

Do you think Sykes leaving the team has affected them at all?

das

Only for the better ;) He was never anything beyond adequate for us. I would prefer Mostert back between those two and Hargreaves. Even better, Jan Andre...

Only for the better ;) He was never anything beyond adequate for us. I would prefer Mostert back between those two and Hargreaves. Even better, Jan Andre...

Ah, okay. I thought he was a decent player, often right in the middle of things and seemed to have a positive impact on the field. Of course...watching the Kings/Bulls match right now and you wouldn't know it. :p

das

He was so-so. Never dynamic, but could sometimes be a grafter. A little-one dimensional, but no worse than Franco v/d Merwe recently.

Mr. Draggs, Sharks are up against it from here. 8 games to go, 4 on tour and 2 x games vs. the Bulls. I reckon Sharks wil lose 3rd in a row vs. Chiefs this coming weekend. You need to score tries to win this compo and Sharks have only managed to score a try in 3 out of 8 games so far. 13 tries in total and 10 were scored in 1 match vs. Rebels. They seem to be doing what Stormers did last year only difference is that Stormers only lost 2 games until the semi's played out.

Latest posts