TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Kurtley-Beale-thumbs-up_2611625.jpg

Now that the dust has settled on five months of competition, we highlight the players that stood out from the crowd in 2011.

15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)
The 'Tahs 22-year-old backdoor man was a relatively easy pick after remarkable season. Crusaders full-back Israel Dagg was the only other serious contender. What a shame he got injured when he did.

14 Kade Poki (Highlanders) The first of a few tough calls as the Highlanders' flyer ended on a dead heat with Lelia Masaga. But we gave Poki the nod for his part in the Highlanders' outstanding early season charge. Honourable mentions must also go to Sean Maitland, Rod Davies, Rene Ranger, Henry Speight and JP Pietersen.

13 Robbie Freuan (Crusaders) Graham Henry doesn't reckon he's good enough for the All Blacks (at least not yet) but Freuan has been a constant figure in our selections since early March. Some say Sonny Bill Williams makes him look better than he really is...time will tell if he's the real deal. The Stormers' Jaques Fourie was next best.

12 Sonny Bill Williams (Crusaders) A clear winner here. SBW has set a new benchmark for what is possible on attack, leading the offload stats by quite some distance. The All Blacks are spoilt for choice at 12 because Ma'a Nonu had a strong finish to the season and Luke McAlister also got regular mentions.

11 Digby Ioane (Reds)
Ok, ok, we'll admit that Queensland's newest breakdancing sensation was picked as a centre in Round Seven. Zac Guildford and Drew Mitchell both made the weekly selection three times but the latter didn't finish the season and neither can boast Ioane's versatility nor his way-cool dance moves...so we bent the rules a little. Go on Digby, get down with your bad self.

10 Dan Carter (Crusaders) As we expected at the start of the year, this was a close run thing and Quade Cooper can justifiably feel a little unlucky since he was the tournament's top points scorer. But when Cooperman went head-to-head with DC in Round Fifteen, he came off second best, which ultimately tipped the count in the Crusaders pivot's favour. All hail king Carter.

9 Will Genia (Reds) We don't expect too many arguments here, especially after that try in the final. Charl McLeod and try-machine Sarel Pretorious deserve a mention.

8 Kieran Read (Crusaders) Another clear choice from the losing finalists. Read revelled in the responsibility of leading the travelling Crusaders for much of the season in the absence of Richie McCaw. Quite possibly the best 8 in the world at the moment.

7 Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs) Eh? What about Matt Todd? Every team deserves a surprise package. Johnson got the nod at 7 for three consecutive weeks between Rounds Thirteen and Fifteen and once at number eight in Round Two. Johnson scored four tries for the Cheetahs, including one in their upset win over the Crusaders (when Todd was on the bench).

6 Scott Higginbotham (Reds) Our Man of the Match in the final, Higginbotham was a key element in the Reds' winning formula. A mention must also go to Highlanders captain Adam Thomson, who scored six tries, the most for any forward in the competition.

5 Victor Matfield (Bulls) So much is expected of Matfield that when his name isn't in lights every weekend the naysayers immediately claim he's past it. But over the course of the season his name cropped up enough to remind us all of his class. Andries Bekker wasn't far behind but went missing in the Stormers' biggest game of the year.

4 Nathan Sharpe (Western Force) Yes, we know Sharpe was wearing a '5' on his back for most of the season but he was the standout second rower of the tournament and can't be left out. Workhorse Brad Thorn kept on grafting in the trenches while Rynhardt Elstadt was one of finds of the season.

3 John Afoa (Blues)
A dead heat with WP Nel (Cheetahs) and Owen Franks (Crusaders) but we'll go with Afoa, who produced arguably his best season for the Blues - his last before heading to Ulster.

2 Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks)
The Sharks charger finished level with Keven Mealamu thanks partly to the Blues playing two extra games and the Du Plessis-Smit situation at the Sharks.

1 Wyatt Crocket (Crusaders)
Crocket's game has come on in leaps and bounds all around the field this year but his scrummaging has been phenomenal. The Crusaders' demolition of the Stormers' set-piece in Cape Town will go down as one of the highlights of the season. A mention too for the Highlanders' Jamie Mackintosh.

Team of Round One:
15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs), 14 Tim Nanai-Williams (Chiefs), 13 Rob Horne (Waratahs), 12 Robbie Coleman (Brumbies), 11 Drew Mitchell (Waratahs), 10 James O'Connor (Force), 9 Jano Vermaak (Lions), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 Phil Waugh (Waratahs), 6 Adam Thomson (Highlanders), 5 Franco van der Merwe (Lions), 4 Bakkies Botha (Bulls), 3 Jannie du Plessis (Sharks), 2 Keven Mealamu (Blues), 1 Gurthro Steenkamp (Bulls).

Team of Round Two:
15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs), 14 Odwa Ndungane (Sharks), 13 Rob Horne (Waratahs), 12 Julian Huxley (Rebels), 11 Drew Mitchell (Waratahs), 10 Danny Cipriani (Rebels), 9 Charl McLeod (Sharks), 8 Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs), 7 Josh Strauss (Lions), 6 Adam Thomson (Highlanders), 5 Victor Matfield (Bulls), 4 Mark Chisholm (Brumbies), 3 WP Nel (Cheetahs), 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs), 1 Jamie Mackintosh (Highlanders).

Team of Round Three: 15 Pat McCabe (Brumbies), 14 Lelia Masaga (Chiefs), 13 Robbie Fruean (Crusaders), 12 Shaun Treeby (Highlanders), 11 Kade Poki (Highlanders), 10 Dan Carter (Crusaders), 9 Will Genia (Reds), 8 Keegan Daniel (Sharks), 7 Matt Todd (Crusaders), 6 Adam Thomson (Highlanders), 5 Josh Bekhuis (Highlanders), 4 Isaac Ross (Chiefs), 3 John Afoa (Blues), 2 Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), 1 Wyatt Crocket (Crusaders).

Team of Round Four:
15 Israel Dagg (Crusaders), 14 Sean Maitland (Crusaders), 13 Robbie Fruean (Crusaders), 12 Sonny Bill Williams (Crusaders), 11 Andre Taylor (Hurricanes), 10 James O'Connor (Western Force), 9 Andy Ellis (Crusaders), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 Willem Alberts (Sharks), 6 Richard Brown (Western Force), 5 Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), 4 Sam Wykes (Western Force), 3 CJ van der Linde (Stormers), 2 Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), 1 John Schwalger (Hurricanes).

Team of Round Five:
15 Israel Dagg (Crusaders), 14 Rene Ranger (Blues), 13 Robbie Fruean (Crusaders), 12 Luke McAlister (Blues), 11 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs), 10 Peter Grant (Stormers), 9 Alby Mathewson (Blues), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 Heinrich Brüssow (Cheetahs), 6 Scott Higginbotham (Reds), 5 Andries Bekker (Stormers), 4 Rynhardt Elstadt (Stormers), 3 WP Nel (Cheetahs), 2 Keven Mealamu (Blues), 1 Ben Daley (Reds).

Team of Round Six:
15 Israel Dagg (Crusaders), 14 Rod Davies (Reds), 13 Jaques Fourie (Stormers), 12 Sonny Bill Williams (Crusaders), 11 Zac Guildford (Crusaders), 10 Dan Carter (Crusaders), 9 Nick Phipps (Rebels), 8 Duane Vermeulen (Stormers), 7 Beau Robinson (Reds), 6 Willem Alberts (Sharks), 5 Andries Bekker (Stormers), 4 Alister Campbell (Rebels), 3 Greg Somerville (Rebels), 2 Deon Fourie (Stormers), 1 Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders).

Team of Round Seven: 15 Isaia Toeava (Blues),14 Kade Poki (Highlanders), 13 Digby Ioane (Reds), 12 Luke McAlister (Blues), 11 Luke Morahan (Reds), 10 Danny Cipriani (Rebels), 9 Fourie du Preez (Bulls), 8 Gareth Delve (Rebels), 7 Schalk Burger (Stormers), 6 Jack Lam (Hurricanes), 5 Hugh Pyle (Rebels), 4 Sam Wykes (Western Force), 3 Werner Kruger (Bulls), 2 Jason Rutledge (Highlanders), 1 Jamie Mackintosh (Highlanders).

Team of Round Eight: 15 Ben Smith (Highlanders, 14 Henry Speight (Brumbies), 13 Robbie Fruean (Crusaders), 12 Sonny Bill Williams (Crusaders), 11 Drew Mitchell (Waratahs), 10 Quade Cooper (Reds, 9 Luke Burgess (Waratahs), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 Matt Todd (Crusaders), 6 Adam Thomson (Highlanders), 5 Chris Jack (Crusaders), 4 James Horwill (Reds), 3 Ben Franks (Crusaders), 2 Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), 1 Ben Alexander (Brumbies).

Team of Round Nine: 15 Isaia Toeava (Blues), 14 Kade Poki (Highlanders), 13 Jared Payne (Blues), 12 Luke McAlister (Blues), 11 Bjorn Basson (Bulls), 10 Quade Cooper (Reds), 9 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs), 8 Scott Higginbotham (Reds), 7 Matt Todd (Crusaders), 6 Adam Thomson (Highlanders), 5 Nathan Sharpe (Force), 4 Jeremy Thrush (Hurricanes), 3 John Afoa (Blues), 2 Jason Rutledge (Highlanders), 1 Ben Franks (Crusaders).

Team of Round Ten: 15 Mils Muliaina (Chiefs), 14 James Paterson (Highlanders), 13 Richard Kahui (Chiefs), 12 James O'Connor (Force), 11 Rene Ranger (Blues), 10 Tony Brown (Highlanders), 9 Will Genia (Reds), 8 Ben McCalman (Force), 7 Scott Waldrom (Chiefs), 6 Jarrad Hoeata (Highlanders), 5 Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), 4 Hugh Pyle (Rebels), 3 Chris King (Highlanders), 2 John Smit (Sharks), 1 Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks).

Team of Round Eleven:
15 Israel Dagg (Crusaders), 14 Luke Morahan (Reds), 13 Robert Ebersohn (Cheetahs), 12 Jean de Villiers (Stormers), 11 Zac Guildford (Crusaders), 10 Aaron Cruden (Hurricanes), 9 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs), 8 Duane Vermeulen (Stormers), 7 David Pocock (Force), 6 Jerome Kaino (Blues), 5 Victor Matfield (Bulls), 4 Rynhardt Elstadt (Stormers), 3 Sekope Kepu (Waratahs), 2 Corey Flynn (Crusaders), 1 Coenie Oosthuizen (Cheetahs).

Team of Round Twelve: 15 Riaan Viljoen (Cheetahs), 14 Lelia Masaga (Chiefs), 13 Jaque Fourie (Stormers), 12 Sonny Bill Williams (Crusaders), 11 Sitiveni Sivivatu (Chiefs), 10 Sias Ebersohn (Cheetahs), 9 Will Genia (Reds), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 David Pocock (Force), 6 Scott Higginbotham (Reds), 5 Chris Jack (Crusaders), 4 Steven Sykes (Sharks), 3 Owen Franks (Crusaders), 2 Keven Mealamu (Blues), 1 Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders).

Team of Round Thirteen:
15 Zane Kirchner (Bulls), 14 Lelia Masaga (Chiefs), 13 Richard Kahui (Chiefs), 12 Wynand Olivier (Bulls), 11 Digby Ioane (Reds), 10 Sias Ebersohn (Cheetahs), 9 Will Genia (Reds), 8 Joshua Strauss (Lions), 7 Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs), 6 Scott Higginbotham (Reds), 5 Danie Rossouw (Bulls), 4 Wikus van Heerden (Lions), 3 Ben Afeaki (Chiefs), 2 Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs), 1 Jamie Mackintosh (Highlanders).

Team of Round Fourteen: 15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs), 14 Henry Speight (Brumbies), 13 Johann Sadie (Stormers), 12 Juan de Jongh (Stormers), 11 Sosene Anesi (Waratahs), 10 Dan Carter (Crusaders), 9 Fourie du Preez (Bulls), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs), 6 Schalk Burger (Stormers), 5 Sam Wykes (Force), 4 Bakkies Botha (Bulls), 3 John Afoa (Blues), 2 Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs), 1 Benn Robinson (Waratahs).

Team of Round Fifteen: 15 Cameron Shepherd (Western Force), 14 JP Pietersen (Sharks), 13 Robbie Fruean (Crusaders), 12 Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes), 11 Bjorn Basson (Bulls), 10 Dan Carter (Crusaders), 9 Will Genia (Reds), 8 Josh Strauss (Lions), 7 Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs), 6 Scott Higginbotham (Reds), 5 Nathan Sharpe (Force), 4 Wikus van Heerden (Lions), 3 Werner Kruger (Bulls), 2 Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), 1 John Schwalger (Hurricanes).

Team of Round Sixteen:
15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs), 14 Riaan Viljoen (Cheetahs), 13 Jaque Fourie (Stormers), 12 Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes), 11 David Smith (Force), 10 James Stannard (Force), 9 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs), 8 Duane Vermeulen (Stormers), 7 Chris Alcock (Waratahs), 6 Liam Messam (Chiefs), 5 Victor Matfield (Bulls), 4 Nathan Sharpe (Force), 3 WP Nel (Cheetahs), 2 Stephen Moore (Brumbies), 1 Dean Greyling (Bulls).

Team of Round Seventeen:15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs), 14 JP Pietersen (Sharks), 13 Tom Carter (Waratahs), 12 Pat McCabe (Brumbies), 11 Zac Guildford (Crusaders), 10 Patrick Lambie (Sharks), 9 Jano Vermaak (Lions), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 David Pocock (Western Force), 6 Cobus Grobbelaar (Lions), 5 Victor Matfield (Bulls), 4 Brad Thorn (Crusaders), 3 Charlie Faumuina (Blues), 2 Stephen Moore (Brumbies), 1 Dean Greyling (Bulls).

Team of Round Eighteen: 15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs), 14 David Smith (Force), 13 Stefan Terblanche (Sharks), 12 Juan de Jongh (Stormers), 11 Ryno Benjamin (Cheetahs), 10 Frederic Michalak (Sharks), 9 Charl McLeod (Sharks), 8 Pierre Spies (Bulls), 7 Liam Gill (Reds), 6 Keegan Daniel (Sharks), 5 Ali Williams (Blues), 4 Gerhard Mostert (Sharks), 3 Greg Somerville (Rebels), 2 Andrew Hore (Hurricanes), 1 Ben Daley (Reds).

Team of the Play-Offs:
15 Tom Marshall (Crusaders), 14 Sean Maitland (Crusaders), 13 Ryan Cross (Waratahs), 12 Sonny Bill Williams (Crusaders), 11 Lachie Munro (Blues), 10 Dan Carter (Crusaders), 9 Charl McLeod (Sharks), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 Luke Braid (Blues), 6 Keegan Daniel (Sharks), 5 Ali Williams (Blues), 4 Brad Thorn (Crusaders), 3 Owen Franks (Crusaders), 2 Keven Mealamu (Blues), 1 Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders).

Team of the semi-finals:
15 Tom Marshall (Crusaders), 14 Rod Davies (Reds), 13 Robbie Freuan (Crusaders), 12 Sonny Bill Williams (Crusaders), 11 Digby Ioane (Reds), 10 Quade Cooper (Reds),9 Will Genia (Reds), 8 Kieran Read (Crusaders), 7 Luke Braid (Blues), 6 Scott Higginbotham (Reds), 5 Sam Whitelock (Crusaders), 4 Chris Lowrey (Blues), 3 Owen Franks (Crusaders), 2 Corey Flynn (Crusaders), 1 Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders).

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_7031031,00.html

The fact they give Charl McLeod an honourable mention at scrum half, says enough to me. This guy has not watched enough Super Rugby to really judge the players. Charl McLeod is a joke! Any scrumhalf playing at least 10 minutes this season deserves it more than McLeod (Except for Ricky Februarie)

15 - Kurtley Beale
14 - Kade Poki
13 - Robbie Freuan
12 - [STRIKE]Sonny Bill Williams[/STRIKE] thinking about and after some last posts here, I agree: he slowly fade away after round 13... so... Tom Carter is my choice; good centres have been in Stormers side but they switched JDV and De Jongh a lot of times due to injuries and rotation, you can't pick only one! and JOC played well, but a few games!
11 - Digby Ioane
10 - Quade Cooper
9 - Will Genia (really tight one... I'd go with Genia for knock-out stages, and Pretorius for regular season)
8 - Kieran Read
7 - Beau Robinson
6 - Scott Higginbotham
5 - Nathan Sharpe
4 - Brad Thorn
3 - WP Nel
2 - Bismarck Du Plessis
1 - Wyatt Crockett

16 - TPN
17 - John Afoa
18 - Andries Bekker
19 - Radike Samo/Willem Alberts (another tight one)
20 - Sarel Pretorius
21 - Dan Carter
22 - Rod Davies

Last edited:
1 Crockett
2 TPN
3 Franks
4 Matfield
5 Sharpe
6 Higginbotham
7 Robinson
8 Samo
9 Pretorius
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 SBW
13 Fruean
14 Maitland
15 Beale

I'm suprised myself by the number of Oz players... I see no reason why I would be biased though, besides weighing more the finals games (perhaps)

16 Du Plessis
17 Afoa
18 Thorn
19 Messam
20 Genia
21 Carter
22 Fourie (to compensate for the lack of saffas)

Again, I was surprised myself to see the squad after having written it...

I would have Messam in my starting team, three tries in three games of which they won 2.

The fact they give Charl McLeod an honourable mention at scrum half, says enough to me. This guy has not watched enough Super Rugby to really judge the players. Charl McLeod is a joke! Any scrumhalf playing at least 10 minutes this season deserves it more than McLeod (Except for Ricky Februarie)

Indeed, along with Matfield- Pah!

Let's see what my Super Rugby XV is after the season.

1. Wyatt Crockett
Very underrated prop who was part of the Crusaders, unfortunately losing the final. Did score twice in Cape Town which caps his perfect season. Ben Daley is close to being picked for the team
2. Bismarck du Plessis
I know it's not a hooker's job to score tries, but scoring 4 in a season, playing amazing and to top it all off, proving the difference against the Lions in Jo'burg when he came on, he is ahead of Keven Mealamu for me.
3. Owen Franks
Another Crusaders-prop who has shown some great skill. When his brother replaces him, you can only spot the difference by the beard.
4. Rynhardt Elstadt
Going out on a limb here and giving this spot to the young lock that came out of nowhere to surprise the world. Very talented and very much the guy for the future if he can keep on developing the way he has done over the last 5 months.
5. Nathan Sharpe
Has proven himself worthy of a place in the team. Might be playing for the lesser team in Australia, but that does not hold him back. Is a part of the Wallabies squad and for a good reason.
6. Scott Higginbotham
Part of the champions, a true leader and maybe the real captain in the team. His ability to snuff out the opportunities on the blind-side, shows he is a force to be reckoned with.
7. Beau Robinson
The surprise of the season together with Rynhardt Elstadt. Massive, strong. Good pick for the Wallabies squad if he gets selected.
8. Kieran Read
Much better and more consistant than Radike Samo. Was carrying all the weight of experience when McCaw and Carter were unavailable. Plays like he has been part of the team for over a decade.
9. Will Genia
How people can pick Sarel is beyond me. Of course Sarel is one of the top players of the season, but Genia is just better. More all-round, calm in his ball handling. I am going as far as saying he is the best scrum half in the world at the moment and maybe even the best player in the world today.
10. Quade Cooper
Quasi Quade... A player that you come to the stadium to see. He is true class and brings something extra to the game. Dan Carter was not his usual self this season.
11. Digby Ioane
Do I really need to explain? He is a joy to watch!
12. Kurtley Beale
No real outstanding inside-center this season. Showpony SBW will be picked by a lot of people, only because of his off-loading but all in all, I think the boxer is a hype rather than a player on his way to be the best option for the All Blacks. Ma'a Nonu is still a better choice for the Kiwi's. Kurtley Beale is my inside center because of my pick for full-back.
13. Robbie Fruean
Where did he find his form? Was it a special order that took some years? Or is he just a player stretching his performance to the quality of the players around him? I think the first. He has been phenomenal this season, most impressive he catching the ball against the Waratahs in Nelson to run away for a try
14. JP Pietersen
I might be biased here, but Pietersen has come back from injury a lot stronger and in the games he played, he showed form and true class. Drew Mitchell, Bjorn Basson, Gio Aplon, Bryan Habana, Sean Maitland, Zac Guildford, Kade Poki and Hosea Gear are players capable of being top, but were off this season. Pietersen's strong point is his defence and physical strength.
15. Patrick Lambie
He deserves a spot in this year's Super Rugby XV. Has been so outstanding for the Sharks and when he was out due to injury, you could see the team fall apart. His best game came at full-back where he played a lot in his youth. In Pretoria against the Bulls he showed the world what he can do when he comes into the line of attack, in stead of organising that line.

15. Kurtley Beale
14. Rod Davies
13. Jared Payne
12. Sonny Bill Williams
11. Digby Ioane
10. Quade Cooper
9. Sarel Pretorius

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Owen Franks
4. Brad Thorn
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Beau Robinson
8. Kieran Read

I think I would have put Beau Robinson at 7, pretty hard to disagree with the rest though, (possibly Guildford at 14, the boy is lightning). How did Fruean not make the AB's Tri Nations squad ? :-o

Let's see what my Super Rugby XV is after the season.
9. Will Genia
How people can pick Sarel is beyond me. Of course Sarel is one of the top players of the season, but Genia is just better. More all-round, calm in his ball handling. I am going as far as saying he is the best scrum half in the world at the moment and maybe even the best player in the world today.

tbh, I picked Sarel because I found that I didn' have enough saffers, and I wanted to avoid having all players from 6 to 11 from the Reds. Not a good reason, I know.

Well bar that try in the final I thought he was the worst player on the pitch (excluding Tom Marshall, of course) ;)

Not so much a team as listing the candidates IMO:

Wyatt Crocket................. Jamie McIntosh.. Dean Greyling.. Coenie Oosthuizen
Bismarck du Plessis.. Stephen Moore.. TPN.. Kevan Mealamu
Owen Franks...... Sekope Kepu.. John Afoa
Nathan Sharpe..... Brad Thorn.. Jared Hoeata
Victor Matfield.. Andries Bekker
Schalk Burger.. Liam Messam.. Scott Higginbotham
David Pocock.. Beau Robinson
Keiran Read...... Duane Vermeulen.. Victor Vito.. Radike Samo
Will Genia.. Sarel Pretorius
Quade Cooper........ Dan Carter
Digby Ioane.. Bjorn Basson
SBW............... Doppies laGrange
Jared Payne.. Robbie Fruean.. Jaque Fourie
Sean Maitland.. David Smith.. Rod Davies
Kurtley Beale.......... Isaia Toeava.... Riaan Viljoen

I'm very surprised Dagg got a mention over Toeava. Dagg did find his from before injury but he had a pretty mediocre first couple of games. Toeava set the Blues alight when he was playing and was sorely missed after injury.

Regardless, even as a Crusader fan I'd have to disagree with the list... Cooper's season has been better than Carter's. Well played to him, he's been fantastic. But I think the Wallabies better bubble wrap him because against a team with big men targeting him I really do think he could be minced.

But I think the Wallabies better bubble wrap him because against a team with big men targeting him I really do think he could be minced.

Pocock and whoever is blindside will have to protect him against S.A. and Ireland in the pool ecspecially.

I'm very surprised Dagg got a mention over Toeava. Dagg did find his from before injury but he had a pretty mediocre first couple of games. Toeava set the Blues alight when he was playing and was sorely missed after injury.

Regardless, even as a Crusader fan I'd have to disagree with the list... Cooper's season has been better than Carter's. Well played to him, he's been fantastic. But I think the Wallabies better bubble wrap him because against a team with big men targeting him I really do think he could be minced.

It doesn't really surprise me to be honest, as I've had a look at planetrugby's team of the week before. I swear they just watch the highlights of all the games and select the team based on these: if someone scored a try but was shocking for the rest of the game they were still bound to make the team. As you say Dagg was pretty mediocre - he was breaking the line well, but his error rate was phenomenally high. In contrast the likes of Ben Smith and Toeava were equally dangerous, but made a fraction of the mistakes Dagg made. They however they were not on the end of the Crusaders backline and therefore didn't score as many tries, so didn't get recognised. In any case they probably got their final selection at fullback (Beale) correct (one of the few selection I think they got right!).

Sonny Bill Williams? you all serious....

Sonny has played consistently better than all other 12s throughout the Super Rugby. Some 12s had a good start to the season or a good ending to their season, some just played 2 good games. Where as SBW has come up with more big plays than any other off and on 12 this year IMO. Who else has made constant noise in Super Rugby at 12?....

Sonny has played consistently better than all other 12s throughout the Super Rugby. Some 12s had a good start to the season or a good ending to their season, some just played 2 good games. Where as SBW has come up with more big plays than any other off and on 12 this year IMO. Who else has made constant noise in Super Rugby at 12?....
There a old saying "Its not how you start its how you finished" SBW started off with a hiss and a roar then faded badly towards the end of the comp.Ma'a started off bad and finished strongly.SBW was like the ivisiable man in the 2nd half of the season.IMO no other 2nd five stepped up maybe James OConnor but he's all over the backline.

There a old saying "Its not how you start its how you finished" SBW started off with a hiss and a roar then faded badly towards the end of the comp.
I was going to say that :p
He started the season good, progressed to very good, then ended up being alright at the end
The Semi and Final in particular were very average by him (final verging on less than average with his defensive positioning et al)

The thing about Sonny Bill Williams is, in the beginning he was doing amazing but risky offloads that no one else would attempt. Towards the end he conserved his offloads for the right moment (just like any good 12 should do), but the fact of the matter is, without his offload game, he's not all that. People seem to think he is a line breaker because of his size but he really isn't. He does offloads, but they seemed to drop off the more games he played. Without the offloads, he's not all that spectacular.

Latest posts