• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby teams to play Wales & Scotland

psychic duck

International
Australian Super Rugby teams will attempt to hold on to their momentum and keep their players match fit in June with friendly matches against Scotland, Wales and a South African Currie Cup team.

Super Rugby will take it's first ever break in June this year while International Rugby teams from the Northern Hemisphere tour Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

The 2012 Super Rugby season kicks off on February the 24th and after 25 rounds of Super Rugby the teams take a break on June the 2nd and resume on June the 28th making a three week international window.

The Reds, Force and the Waratahs will however have a five week break as a result of their byes falling on either side of the break.

Australia will host Wales for three Test matches in June and a Test match against Scotland.

New Zealand will host Ireland for three Test matches at the same time while South Africa will host England for three Test matches.

Super Rugby teams will lose a number of players to their national teams and coaches are working on ways to keep the rest of the players match fit.

The Waratahs are expected to announce a match against Scotland - possibly in the second week of June and Wales are expected to play Wales in Canberra in a midweek match between the the Brisbane (June 9) and Melbourne (June 16) Tests.

The Force meanwhile are reported to be setting up a match in Perth against a Currie Cup team from South Africa.

from SuperXV.com

Why don't they play the Pampas XV from the Vodacom Cup? that would be a great beneficial match for both sides

Last edited:
Um? Wales set to play Wales in Canberra? Would be very interesting indeed!

Thanks for the info.

So would this mean that we are bringing a larger squad then?
I wouldn't really want to risk players like Dan and Adam in a provincial match when we have to play the Wallabies a few days later.
This would be a good opportunity for players like Pretorius, Day, Liam Williams, and others to have a shot and see what they can do.

These matches could be quite interesting though both sides would be without their stars one would imagine. Wonder what Currie Cup side they are mentioning. Maybe a Southern Kings curtain-raiser?

I wonder if the new zealand teams would think about doing the same, would love to see the highlanders play Ireland. HELL, if scoland are only playing one test in aussie send them over here for another game or two.

could this be the rebirth of the "tour", not to blood new internations players but to keep the domestic team fit! love it

Same, the tour culture is absolutely brilliant. It'll be a nice prelude to the Lions 2013.

I'm expecting this is going to be closely watched by any selection committee to rat out any possible ill discipline abroad... Oh and international form too ;)

Good to see traditional tours sort of coming back.

I wonder if the new zealand teams would think about doing the same, would love to see the highlanders play Ireland. HELL, if scoland are only playing one test in aussie send them over here for another game or two.

could this be the rebirth of the "tour", not to blood new internations players but to keep the domestic team fit! love it

Scotland are also playing Fiji and Tonga.

UnOfficial press release was that the NZRU were too scared to possibly be facing record breaking 6 Nations Grand-slam champions in whoever the first managers game in charge is.

Fiji and Tonga are not afraid.

I also heard rumors that England would play a midweek or two in SA as well? Anybody know if there is any truth to that?

Latest posts