• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby, the fight for the play-offs

Well lads... The first match played today and the 'Canes scored a late-minute try to win and grab the final straw. Now 2 of the remaining teams have to mess up for the 'Canes to make it! Very interesting day tomorrow.

Except for the Chiefs, all play-off contenders have a home-match this weekend.

Agreed, made some good ground on SuperBru with prediction this semi-upset.
If the Blues pull it through tomorrow I might be in the money
Still expecting some big scores tomorrow

Last edited:
I certainly would have preferred it if the Chiefs had grabbed the top spot (and they still could, if by a miracle the Rebels manage to pull off the upset), but (assuming they win) I actually think the Stormers deserve the top spot more than the Chiefs, simply as they would have won more games. I'm personally not a big fan of the bonus point system. I think the number of games won should be the primary factor on deciding the finishing order of teams - I'd only consider bonus points as a 'tie-breaker' if two teams are even on number of wins (though personally I'm happy using points differential for this!). Clearly bonus points are here to stay though, so there is not much I can do about it (and they really don't bother me that much, as they don't usually have a major effect on playoff seedings).

Okay! Things are lining up for the Sharks and Bulls guys! Both teams only need a win, no bonuspoint needed!

We're currently standing on 54 log points, 9 games won, 69 points difference, 43 tries scored, 12 Try difference, which means the Sharks need to win against the Cheetahs by at least 4 points. Even if we don't score one try in the match. This will leave us on the same points difference as the Brumbies, but with two more tries scored, it will be enough to be placed above them on the final log. I sincerely hope we win by more than 4 points though.

Come on Sharks!!!!!

I hold my breath for the team that will face the Chiefs. It seems they have lost their momentum. Really hope they can take it.

OK let me see if I have this right.

The Saders now play the Bulls and the Reds play the Sharks.

The Stormers can't face the Red's in the semis, likewise the Chiefs can't face the Sharks.

1. So if it's Bulls/Sharks we have Chiefs vs Bulls and Stormers vs Sharks
2. If it's Bulls/Reds we have Chiefs vs Reds and Stormers vs Bulls
3. If it's Saders/Sharks we have Chiefs vs Saders and Stormers vs Sharks
4. If it's Saders/Reds we have Chiefs vs Reds and Stormers vs Crusaders

4 is the worst for the stormers and 3 is the worst for the Chiefs in my opinion.
Interesting.

The Stormers and Chiefs await who ever won the slug fest rounds.

The Stormers can't face the Red's in the semis, likewise the Chiefs can't face the Sharks.

4 is the worst for the stormers and 3 is the worst for the Chiefs in my opinion.
Interesting.

Looks right to me!
I agree with you that having to face the Crusaders in the next round would be the worst outcome for either the Chiefs or Stormers....

Last season the Sharks and Reds didn't play each other at all and now they face each other twice. The first match in Durban was very interesting. I am going to watch it again this week, just to warm up a bit for Saturday.

Bring on the Saders. We lose we lose. No dodging in this competition and Stormers last year is a few levels up than Stormers of last year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of last years final at all to be honest, seems hardly fair that it would be in brisbane again if it happened though.

Interesting.

I had these same thoughts this morning as I contemplated the leaderboard.

Been a very interesting end to the season, having the Canes do so well and the Blues get one over the Brumbies. The Bulls have been playing some very ordinary rugby recently, so unless they step it up and play at the level I believe they can, then it'll be Chiefs vs Crusaders and Shorks vs Stormers.

Crystal balling, I reckon the Crusaders will pull it out against the Chiefs, and the Stormers will grab the win over the Shorks.

Stormers vs Crusaders??? My money is on the Stormers for the win.

Any Super rugby 15 fans can advise on the following. From what I understand

The highest ranked side that emerges from those 2 quarterfinal games (Reds vs Sharks) and (Crusaders vs Bulls) will then travel to Hamilton to play the Chiefs with the other winner set to face the Stormers in Cape Town. So if Reds and Crusaders win their games, this means Chiefs will play Reds (position 3 in table) and Stormers will play Crusaders (position 3 in the table) in semifinals. I checked with several website and does seems to get the correct interpretation of "The highest ranked side that emerges from those games will then travel to Hamilton to play the Chiefs with the other winner set to face the Stormers in Cape Town". Spoke to several of my friends and don't have a consensus on the interpretation

Appreciate feedback from rugby fans in this forum.

Last edited:
Do you mean that you aren't sure if the "highest ranked side" is based on which position that side is placed in (in which case, it would be the 3rd placed Reds, not the 4th placed Crusaders), or based on points (in which case it would be Crusaders, 61 points, not Reds, 58 points)?
If so, every source I've seen points to the former.

Any Super rugby 15 fans can advise on the following. From what I understand

The highest ranked side that emerges from those 2 quarterfinal games (Reds vs Sharks) and (Crusaders vs Bulls) will then travel to Hamilton to play the Chiefs with the other winner set to face the Stormers in Cape Town. So if Reds and Crusaders win their games, this means Chiefs will play Reds (position 3 in table) and Stormers will play Crusaders (position 3 in the table) in semifinals. I checked with several website and does seems to get the correct interpretation of "The highest ranked side that emerges from those games will then travel to Hamilton to play the Chiefs with the other winner set to face the Stormers in Cape Town". Spoke to several of my friends and don't have a consensus on the interpretation

Appreciate feedback from rugby fans in this forum.

Your interpretation is correct.

SomeOke has summarized it well here:

Last edited:
Hello Nemui10pm,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I made a mistake, Crusaders is in position 4. So back to my question, if Reds and Crusaders win the quarterfinals, who will they play in the semis.

Kindly advise
easy2288

Hello Nemui10pm,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I made a mistake, Crusaders is in position 4. So back to my question, if Reds and Crusaders win the quarterfinals, who will they play in the semis.

Kindly advise
easy2288

If you have trouble explaining/understanding just see it this way:

Remove the Stormers and Chiefs from the log, and look at the 4 play-off teams as ranks 1, 2, 3 and 4. The ranking is based on points with the exception of the Reds being 1st since they won their conference.

Reds and Crusaders win:
Stormers-Crusaders and Chiefs-Reds

Reds and Bulls win:
Stormers-Bulls and Chiefs-Reds

Crusaders and Sharks win:
Stormers-Sharks and Chiefs-Crusaders

Bulls and Sharks win:
Stormers-Sharks and Chiefs-Bulls

I actually think the Stormers deserve the top spot more than the Chiefs, simply as they would have won more games. I'm personally not a big fan of the bonus point system. I think the number of games won should be the primary factor on deciding the finishing order of teams

for once (and i thought i would never say this :() i disagree with you... rugby for me is about scoring tries... the more rewards you can get for scoring tried the better.. otherwise if will become a boring kicking game, cuz you play "a win at anycost style" of rugby... sure you want to win... but at what cost??? that is why i hate the stormers this year... WP has always been known for their attacking rugby... now Alistair comes with a Jose Mourinho mentality of "parking the bus"... the blues and rebels actaully scored more points as the stormers this year... if only the blues and rebels parked the bus on defence, they would have been top... its easier said than done though... hence my point... the only good thing stormers fans can talk about is the fact that they are top... not about the way they actually play... so i hope "rugby" wins this competition... Saders, chiefs or sharks... maybe reds...

You don't hate the Stormers this year, you hate everything related to South Africa...

Latest posts