• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby, the fight for the play-offs

for once (and i thought i would never say this :() i disagree with you... rugby for me is about scoring tries... the more rewards you can get for scoring tried the better.. otherwise if will become a boring kicking game, cuz you play "a win at anycost style" of rugby... sure you want to win... but at what cost??? that is why i hate the stormers this year... WP has always been known for their attacking rugby... now Alistair comes with a Jose Mourinho mentality of "parking the bus"... the blues and rebels actaully scored more points as the stormers this year... if only the blues and rebels parked the bus on defence, they would have been top... its easier said than done though... hence my point... the only good thing stormers fans can talk about is the fact that they are top... not about the way they actually play... so i hope "rugby" wins this competition... Saders, chiefs or sharks... maybe reds...

That is why your team will go down in the record books as an adventurous bunch of under achievers and the Stormers a conservative bunch of match winners - based on the 2012 season
Guess that is why I love the Stormers

Rugby is about winning, whether one likes it or not
You should honestly only watch 7's

You don't hate the Stormers this year, you hate everything related to South Africa...
not true! i give credit where it is due... i would be happy if the sharks won the comp, i like the sharks, cheetahs and lions becaue of how they play... i dont like the bulls and stormers of how they play... i like the bulls more than the stormers though, even though teh bulls play "stampkar"rugby... atleast they play some sort of attacking/go forward rugby... other then the stormers park the bus mentality... park the bus on defence, wait for mistake and counter attack...

That is why your team will go down in the record books as an adventurous bunch of under achievers and the Stormers a conservative bunch of match winners - based on the 2012 season

i can be proud of the canes!!! and i am...
a bunch of young guys in the group of death and they delivered... scored the most points in the competition... they just still a bit inconsistant... and needs to be a bit better on defence or improve their attacking more... if only they won the 1 game vs the cheetahs where they had a +-25point lead i think...

why you talking as if you won the competition :? if i can recall, the canes have been in more playoff of the super rugby comp then the stormers were...

canes 6 incl 1 final we lost to the saders in Jade stadium in really crap conditions vs the stormers 4 incl 1 final...stomers on 5 this year... looks like you the underachiever here...

Dear Uncle Fester.. we can like to talk about .... the 2012 season

i can be proud of the canes!!! and i am...
a bunch of young guys in the group of death and they delivered... scored the most points in the competition... they just still a bit inconsistant... and needs to be a bit better on defence or improve their attacking more... if only they won the 1 game vs the cheetahs where they had a +-25point lead i think...

why you talking as if you won the competition :? if i can recall, the canes have been in more playoff of the super rugby comp then the stormers were...

canes 6 incl 1 final we lost to the saders in Jade stadium in really crap conditions vs the stormers 4 incl 1 final...stomers on 5 this year... looks like you the underachiever here...

The Super Rugby competition only has its 2nd season now, Hurricanes 0, Stormers 2.

1996: Stormers 3, Hurricanes 3
1997: Hurricanes 6
1998: Stormers 3, Hurricanes 5
1999: Stormers 8, Hurricanes 4
2000: Stormers 6, Hurricanes 6
2001: Stormers 5, Hurricanes 5
2002: Stormers 5, Hurricanes 5
2003: Stormers 5, Hurricanes 7
2004: Stormers 7, Hurricanes 4
2005: Stormers 3, Hurricanes 8
2006: Stormers 4, Hurricanes 10
2007: Stormers 6, Hurricanes 6
2008: Stormers 8, Hurricanes 8
2009: Stormers 5, Hurricanes 9
2010: Stormers 9, Hurricanes 7
2011: Stormers 12, Hurricanes 5
2012: Stormers 14, Hurricanes 10

Stormers have a total of 113 matches won in 15 seasons
Hurricanes have a total of 108 matches won in 16 seasons

Who is the better team?

It was a shame the Hurricanes missed out on the playoffs. Sure, their defense might not have been stellar, but their games were exciting, whether the Canes won or lost. Plus, they managed a couple of upsets late in the season, although I wish they weren't at the expense of the teams I've been cheering for. ;)

for once (and i thought i would never say this :() i disagree with you... rugby for me is about scoring tries... the more rewards you can get for scoring tried the better.. otherwise if will become a boring kicking game, cuz you play "a win at anycost style" of rugby... sure you want to win... but at what cost??? that is why i hate the stormers this year... WP has always been known for their attacking rugby... now Alistair comes with a Jose Mourinho mentality of "parking the bus"... the blues and rebels actaully scored more points as the stormers this year... if only the blues and rebels parked the bus on defence, they would have been top... its easier said than done though... hence my point... the only good thing stormers fans can talk about is the fact that they are top... not about the way they actually play... so i hope "rugby" wins this competition... Saders, chiefs or sharks... maybe reds...

I don't think removing bonus points would make much of a difference at all in terms of the number of tries teams scored. Teams' aren't going to just stop scoring tries if you don't get bonus points - if that was the case teams would stop trying to score tries the moment that they got their 4 tries! I too love to watch try-scoring teams, but I think there definitely is a place for more conservative teams - indeed a battle of contrasting styles between an expansive team and a more conservative team can be great to watch...

^This Brilliantly summed up.
The Crusaders have never been adventerous. They won it with a kicking game. Even NZ won the WC by going from adventerous to playing boring and ugly rugby. Risk free rugby win tournaments.

At least in rugby, bunker defense doesn't deflate the game quite as much as it does in soccer.

Latest posts