Al Bangor

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

United States

SLAR teams "tour" of North America confirmed

This has now been confirmed by the official Jaguares twitter feed (but there are some dissimilarities from the original report):
  • Matches to be played on June 11 & 18 at Infinity Park Stadium (Glendale, Colorado)
  • The North American (club) teams are the American Raptors from Colorado and Old Boys Ravens from Vancouver (originally reported to be Raptors and Chicago Lions)
  • SLAR (pro) teams are Peñarol (URU) and Jaguares (ARG).

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Scotland

Club or Nation

Georgia

Yes, very strange. The Glendale Raptors have been desperate to appear relevant after leaving the MLR. I imagine they are financing this.

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Scotland

Club or Nation

Georgia

Also, apparently 6k fans at the final and plans for home and away fixtures next season (with fans). Hopefully the finances can support this.

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Scotland

Club or Nation

Georgia

Daniel Hourcade saying Black Lion potentially looking to join SLAR as they were a bit underwhelmed by their experience in the Currie Cup 1st Division (despite not winning it). I'd agree SLAR has a more consistent standard but it clashes with the REC. The bonkers globetrotting news just won't stop. :D

Apparent possibility of a second Argentine team next season with all other unions sticking at one. This is all second hand.

die_mole

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation

Bristol

has a quote from South America head of performance indicating they are planning a second Argentine team

die_mole

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation

Bristol

Also I'd kick Georgia out if I were SA. Can't have a team reneging on games like they did. I understand why teams (Spain and Georgia) would want to join SLAR but the costs would be prohibitive.

Additionally that website has an interview with Chile's head coach who says he hopes that SLAR gets more franchises and the season is longer. But I guess any national team coach would want that.

Al Bangor

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

United States

Also I'd kick Georgia out if I were SA. Can't have a team reneging on games like they did. I understand why teams (Spain and Georgia) would want to join SLAR but the costs would be prohibitive.

Additionally that website has an interview with Chile's head coach who says he hopes that SLAR gets more franchises and the season is longer. But I guess any national team coach would want that.
Is Rugby played much in Brazil? My guess is it's not because I don't hear about it. It would be a good place for SLAR to promote the sport. Lot's of people there.

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Scotland

Club or Nation

Georgia

Sorry, but I can't resist!

Brazil have a team (Cobras) in SLAR, but their union is strapped for cash and there are apparently logistic issues with developing the game in such a huge country (the suggestion is they can't copy the Uruguay or Chile model). A few years ago they had a decent generation of players but they seem to be regressing badly.

Al Bangor

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

United States

Brazil have a team (Cobras) in SLAR, but their union is strapped for cash and there are apparently logistic issues with developing the game in such a huge country (the suggestion is they can't copy the Uruguay or Chile model). A few years ago they had a decent generation of players but they seem to be regressing badly.
I appreciate the information. I forgot all about the Cobras. I'm 62 and find myself forgetting things more and more.

USA 15s is bad, everyone knows that. When it comes to international rugby we're a 7s nation, and pretty good one.

Last edited:

Yulia

Bench Player
Club or Nation

Yenisey

Very good video (especially if you turn the sound off). Some really great tries ( like that one on 0:30 😍) and loved the final score 😍 (@Al Bangor 😜😜😜 )

Al Bangor

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

United States

Very good video (especially if you turn the sound off). Some really great tries ( like that one on 0:30 😍) and loved the final score 😍 (@Al Bangor 😜😜😜 )
1660172484803 Getting old sucks. I forget more and more as each day passes.

Now where did I put my keys? 🤔

Last edited: