• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SuperLiga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

SLAR teams "tour" of North America confirmed

This has now been confirmed by the official Jaguares twitter feed (but there are some dissimilarities from the original report):
  • Matches to be played on June 11 & 18 at Infinity Park Stadium (Glendale, Colorado)
  • The North American (club) teams are the American Raptors from Colorado and Old Boys Ravens from Vancouver (originally reported to be Raptors and Chicago Lions)
  • SLAR (pro) teams are Peñarol (URU) and Jaguares (ARG).

Yes, very strange. The Glendale Raptors have been desperate to appear relevant after leaving the MLR. I imagine they are financing this.

Also, apparently 6k fans at the final and plans for home and away fixtures next season (with fans). Hopefully the finances can support this.

Daniel Hourcade saying Black Lion potentially looking to join SLAR as they were a bit underwhelmed by their experience in the Currie Cup 1st Division (despite not winning it). I'd agree SLAR has a more consistent standard but it clashes with the REC. The bonkers globetrotting news just won't stop. :D

Apparent possibility of a second Argentine team next season with all other unions sticking at one. This is all second hand.

has a quote from South America head of performance indicating they are planning a second Argentine team

Also I'd kick Georgia out if I were SA. Can't have a team reneging on games like they did. I understand why teams (Spain and Georgia) would want to join SLAR but the costs would be prohibitive.

Additionally that website has an interview with Chile's head coach who says he hopes that SLAR gets more franchises and the season is longer. But I guess any national team coach would want that.

Also I'd kick Georgia out if I were SA. Can't have a team reneging on games like they did. I understand why teams (Spain and Georgia) would want to join SLAR but the costs would be prohibitive.

Additionally that website has an interview with Chile's head coach who says he hopes that SLAR gets more franchises and the season is longer. But I guess any national team coach would want that.
Is Rugby played much in Brazil? My guess is it's not because I don't hear about it. It would be a good place for SLAR to promote the sport. Lot's of people there.

Sorry, but I can't resist!

Brazil have a team (Cobras) in SLAR, but their union is strapped for cash and there are apparently logistic issues with developing the game in such a huge country (the suggestion is they can't copy the Uruguay or Chile model). A few years ago they had a decent generation of players but they seem to be regressing badly.

Brazil have a team (Cobras) in SLAR, but their union is strapped for cash and there are apparently logistic issues with developing the game in such a huge country (the suggestion is they can't copy the Uruguay or Chile model). A few years ago they had a decent generation of players but they seem to be regressing badly.

I appreciate the information. I forgot all about the Cobras. I'm 62 and find myself forgetting things more and more.

USA 15s is bad, everyone knows that. When it comes to international rugby we're a 7s nation, and pretty good one.

Last edited:

Very good video (especially if you turn the sound off). Some really great tries ( like that one on 0:30 😍) and loved the final score 😍 (@Al Bangor 😜😜😜 )

Very good video (especially if you turn the sound off). Some really great tries ( like that one on 0:30 😍) and loved the final score 😍 (@Al Bangor 😜😜😜 )
1660172484803.png Getting old sucks. I forget more and more as each day passes.

Now where did I put my keys? 🤔

Last edited:
2016 seems a lifetime away for Brazil.

Chile A 36 - 27 Brazil A (yesterday)

I've read suggestions that despite being an u23 side, this is still a decent strength Chile side. But this is still pretty dire for Brazil in my opinion, even though it was played in Chile. I see coach Fernando Portugal was appointed in 2019. I think questionmarks must be raised about his ability with Brazil's record over the last 15 months or so. I struggle to believe that the quality of available players in Brazil has plummeted quite so much despite the creation of a professional side in the Cobras. Getting spanked by the likes of Zimbabwe, Kenya (both improved a bit) and Chile u23s is just horrible for a side that defeated the US 6 years ago.

If they lose either of their forthcoming fixtures against Paraguay and Colombia, who both have a handful of pro players only, then I think it should be back to the drawing board for Brazil.

2016 seems a lifetime away for Brazil.

Chile A 36 - 27 Brazil A (yesterday)

I've read suggestions that despite being an u23 side, this is still a decent strength Chile side. But this is still pretty dire for Brazil in my opinion, even though it was played in Chile. I see coach Fernando Portugal was appointed in 2019. I think questionmarks must be raised about his ability with Brazil's record over the last 15 months or so. I struggle to believe that the quality of available players in Brazil has plummeted quite so much despite the creation of a professional side in the Cobras. Getting spanked by the likes of Zimbabwe, Kenya (both improved a bit) and Chile u23s is just horrible for a side that defeated the US 6 years ago.

If they lose either of their forthcoming fixtures against Paraguay and Colombia, who both have a handful of pro players only, then I think it should be back to the drawing board for Brazil.
ehh they were a team that played 10 man rugby and no longer have Reeves at 10 (or at least prime kicking Reeves). Their wins against Chile and Canada in 2019 were all PKs. They never had much attacking structure and might have been the worst ball in hand team in the high performance tier of the Americas.

ehh they were a team that played 10 man rugby and no longer have Reeves at 10 (or at least prime kicking Reeves). Their wins against Chile and Canada in 2019 were all PKs. They never had much attacking structure and might have been the worst ball in hand team in the high performance tier of the Americas.
I'm not saying they were anything special, although Sancery and Duque were decent backs. Now they cant even play anything like 10 man rugby and their 1st team is losing to age grade neighbours. Everything is relative. I think 2016 Brazil would beat this current crop by a good 10-15 points and they are one of the few Tier2s and 3s to have taken a clear backward step in real terms (ignoring their position relative to others).

The German implosion, Belgian regression Hong Kong Covid are probably the only other three I can think of that have gone backwards.

has a quote from South America head of performance indicating they are planning a second Argentine team
Houcarde says there'll possibly be a new argentine franchise next year, and two years after that he hopes that maybe there will be 3 or 4 franchises from Argentina. He doesnt mention any other country (even when back in 2019 and 2020, there were talks of two brazilians and two uruguayan team). He also says thel'll be looking to keep World Rugby financing part of the league expenses (that was suppose to end on 2023), with the arguments of Chile's and Uruguay's results, and then complains that covid didnt let them play home and away, and because of that it was harder to secure sponsors. So, I'll say the expansions would depend on how much financing we can get from WR.

After talks about the "system" in argentina, and how before we had a best 60 players professionaly hired, only half of them playing something at the vodacom cup (back in 2011/12 with pampas XVs) and now there is 84 argie players playing within the SLAR teams, and that the objective of the expansion is giving the argentine players that dont make an impression at a young age, have a path to profesionalism, and to stop them going to second and third tier leagues abroad.

He mentions absolutely nothing about the other countries, makes you thinks he works for the UAR, and not as South America head of performance...

Is Rugby played much in Brazil? My guess is it's not because I don't hear about it. It would be a good place for SLAR to promote the sport. Lot's of people there.

Brazil surprised me and had a relly good showing (for what everyone expected) at the first years of the americas rugby championship, and showed why they were chosen over paraguay (besides the size of the market and money, obviously), which always was the country with sooooome rugby tradition after uruguay and chile. And then got a franchise named corinthians, with the football club paying for the naming, with rumors suggesting another one named after santos.

Then covid happened, the 2020 season was cancelled and the ARC got axed, then corinthians changed to cobras, and showed only poor performances on the league. And every game I saw of brazil after that was awful.

Covid really delayed professionalization on south america, especially in Agentina, ceibos was disbanded, jaguares kick out of super rugby, and jaguares XV never again invited to the currie cup first division, we went from 3 pro teams, with talks of having a second on super rugby, and a second on the slar, to only a tier 2 one. We only had more depth and options than Brazil

Houcarde says there'll possibly be a new argentine franchise next year, and two years after that he hopes that maybe there will be 3 or 4 franchises from Argentina. He doesnt mention any other country (even when back in 2019 and 2020, there were talks of two brazilians and two uruguayan team). He also says thel'll be looking to keep World Rugby financing part of the league expenses (that was suppose to end on 2023), with the arguments of Chile's and Uruguay's results, and then complains that covid didnt let them play home and away, and because of that it was harder to secure sponsors. So, I'll say the expansions would depend on how much financing we can get from WR.

After talks about the "system" in argentina, and how before we had a best 60 players professionaly hired, only half of them playing something at the vodacom cup (back in 2011/12 with pampas XVs) and now there is 84 argie players playing within the SLAR teams, and that the objective of the expansion is giving the argentine players that dont make an impression at a young age, have a path to profesionalism, and to stop them going to second and third tier leagues abroad.

He mentions absolutely nothing about the other countries, makes you thinks he works for the UAR, and not as South America head of performance...
He also says that the calendar will remained the same, ending in may, to give the clubs and and the national teams their players, again looks to serve argentina more than south america or the league. Doesnt mention nothing about georgia, or spain/portugal. Nothing about a match with the MLR winner either, as it was said before the 2020 season got canceled, another set back from covid

Latest posts