• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SuperLiga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Would be great to see a Pampas XV playing out of Cordoba next year.

Brazil squeak past Paraguay 31-28 and then thump Colombia 52-13 to win the Sudamerican Tri-nations. Brazil sit between Belgium and Netherlands in the rankings which is sadly about right.

https://www.elciudadanoweb.com/reun...o-copa-santa-fe-y-franquicia-en-la-superliga/

Here it says that the rugby union of rosario, shoots for a franchise in 2024, given that the expansion team next year seems to be almost certainly in tucuman.

It also says that by rules of the argentine union, only the UAR can have profesional teams. So the provincial unions only act as intermediaries. Even when they finally profesionalized the sport, they do it on the most stupid way posible

https://www.elciudadanoweb.com/reun...o-copa-santa-fe-y-franquicia-en-la-superliga/

Here it says that the rugby union of rosario, shoots for a franchise in 2024, given that the expansion team next year seems to be almost certainly in tucuman.

It also says that by rules of the argentine union, only the UAR can have profesional teams. So the provincial unions only act as intermediaries. Even when they finally profesionalized the sport, they do it on the most stupid way posible

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it. 👍

Brazil and Cobras coach (same person) dismissed. Seems to be a very sensible assessment of recent performances as being totally unacceptable in my opinion.

I'd have hoped they'd get someone in before any EOYTs and certainly before the new SLAR season. I'm very curious to see just how bad (or not) this batch of Brazilian players is.

Reeve's first test will be Canada and Chile in an uncapped October tournament.
The appointment of Reeves doesn't lead me to believe they'll be working on skills.
I think he is just keeping the seat warm until they find a coach. With him remaining DoR. Hopefully anyway. A national team is no place for a novice coach.

Apparently this interview with Chile rugby suggests SLAR will be re-branded to Super Rugby Americas and include sides from Canada and the USA (presumably Raptors). Sadly I'm a monoglot so this all second hand.

Apparently this interview with Chile rugby suggests SLAR will be re-branded to Super Rugby Americas and include sides from Canada and the USA (presumably Raptors). Sadly I'm a monoglot so this all second hand.

Yeah, its ten minutes talking about chile's next steps, that I didnt really pay much attention, he say they going to romania, and the were gonna play against leinsteir, or another irish team, already forget. And then says exactly that in a sentence, but doesnt mention raptors. Thankfully he also says the matches will be home and away and no longer in a bubble.

Dont know how I feel about it, american and canadian team will not only mean fewer professional teams for Argentina, and would greatly reduced the chances for more teams from uruguay and chile. And would set the SLAR in competion agaisnt MLR, I like it better when the chapions were suppose to have a final match.

for those that can read but not listen to Spanish (me)

Yeah, its ten minutes talking about chile's next steps, that I didnt really pay much attention, he say they going to romania, and the were gonna play against leinsteir, or another irish team, already forget. And then says exactly that in a sentence, but doesnt mention raptors. Thankfully he also says the matches will be home and away and no longer in a bubble.

Dont know how I feel about it, american and canadian team will not only mean fewer professional teams for Argentina, and would greatly reduced the chances for more teams from uruguay and chile. And would set the SLAR in competion agaisnt MLR, I like it better when the chapions were suppose to have a final match.
I don't think the expansion to NA limits SA, but it's a pretty desperate attempt to get TV money (and in fairness a desperate attempt that needs to be made to make SLAR sustainable). The above article suggests you'll still get a second professional Argentine side.

Good for Canadian rugby to get a second Pro side although I'm doubtful how strong these NA sides will be. Plus I think it's a bad sign that Tier 2 countries across the world are increasingly splitting their resources between multiple professional competitions. It shows a lack of confidence in the long term prospects of a competition that already exists to start messing about with a second one. It also probably shows dysfunctional factionalism within different unions.

I think it might be a bit of an appeal to WR for funding. Including non WC nations in bigger markets might be a draw for WR.

apparently SLAR has confirmed. https://www.aplenorugby.com.ar/site.../72877/sudamerica-confirmo-cambios-en-la-slar
Yeah, but Canada and the US are already involved in a professional league. I'd be curious what those unions takes are on it. Surely they wouldn't want MLR undermined? I can't see this being an honest effort supported by WR to raise the standard of US Rugby by 2031 but they did make a curious statement after the US lost to Chile that the MLR was the pro arrangement "for now".

Still, more teams in a Tier2 pro league, I shouldnt complain (except for poor Colombia).

Last edited:
Rumours of Georgian Black Lion becoming American.

looks like Atlanta might have some competition for fans?
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

It seems the change to Super Rugby Americas doesn't suggest any sort of future connection with Super Rugby. Not surprising, but I can dream this might change if APAC takes off and the gap between continents closes. Otherwise it's a strange choice for a rugby championship. Out of all the possibilities you just pick Super Rugby again and make it difficult for people to search online for your tournament?

Argentine provinces are competing for a team. Expansion is coming. They still want teams in north america for some reason. Nothing about Georgia.

I don't think the expansion to NA limits SA, but it's a pretty desperate attempt to get TV money (and in fairness a desperate attempt that needs to be made to make SLAR sustainable). The above article suggests you'll still get a second professional Argentine side.
I blame the clubs for being so attach to amateurism, they say is because they want to protect the """"values"""" of rugby, if there was a professional league with the club, there would be a lot of fans and tv money, but noooooo. Everyone knows they just want to keep poor people away...

Anyway, I didnt see anything about the second franchise that was suppose to be anounced on the 12th

If the American Raptors (Colorado) and Pacific Pride (British Columbia) do play in SLAR, I think it will be temporary. I predict they'll both eventually end up in Major League Rugby. In the Raptors case, a return to MLR (formerly Glendale Raptors and Colorado Raptors).

Last edited:

Latest posts