• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Surprise Selections

S

shazbooger

Wales ommitted Shanklin (amongst others), Ireland left Heaslip out (amongst others), and England put in Balshaw instead of Tait. These are all fairly big surprises that have brought nothing but scorn from the media, and fans alike. Are we all stupid? Do these coaches know something we dont know? As you may guess from my rants in the match thread, I'm struggling to find any kind of positive from this latest Irish selection. Anyone else feeling the same care to try explain the coaches logic for any of these selections?

One can only assume that the coaches have based their decisions on what they see in training (that we dont).

I would say time only will tell if these are the correct decisions, but we will probably never know how the ones left out would have faired.

Not being an expert on the game I cant comment on the cases you mention, but I certainly know a few heads have turned in the West coast here as to Beattie and Kellock missing out, but as I say - the coaches watch these guys in training and are therefore better placed to pick the side. That doesnt mean the supporters are necasserilly wrong though, since we can only pick the team on what we have seen.

You've seriously got to wonder though what are they watching when they watch these matches. Granted your point is valid on what they can see in training but that still pales into comparison as regards what they've produced on the pitch when the real pressure is on.

It really is a difficult one to call.

After reading Jake White's new book In Black and White, it is quite incredible to notice the amount of thought process that goes into making certain selections, generally the need is to find the perfect balance in a side. Be it for experience, speed, athleticism, strength, size etc. A coach is always aiming for this "perfect balance".

*These coaches should be grateful they dont have South African rugby politics interfering with their decisions :toss: *

Granted a player can step up on the big match day, but rugby is a team sport and in order for the team to work properly, this ultimate balance should be reached.

It will be interesting to see what happens come the weekend, but no matter what the results, 50% of the people will be blaming their coaches, while the other 50% will be saying "wow, what vision to include that guy in the squad." There can only be one winner...

TBH I wasn't as shocked as Chris Paterson was when he wasn't in the Scotland XV for the France game but instead on the bench.
He's not been playing Wing/Fullback for Glouster much, so he's a perfect candidate to be in the 20/21 shirt to cover at 10 if so needed but has the diversity to cover in the back three also.

For instance, if Nick DeLuca buckles under the pressure against the French, Webster can move into outside center and Paterson can go on the wing.
If Dan Parks pulls a flakey (like he's prone too, not finding touch etc.) then Mossy can be brought on to take over at stand-off.

It's just good tactics.

It really is a difficult one to call.

After reading Jake White's new book In Black and White, it is quite incredible to notice the amount of thought process that goes into making certain selections ... It will be interesting to see what happens come the weekend, but no matter what the results, 50% of the people will be blaming their coaches, while the other 50% will be saying "wow, what vision to include that guy in the squad." There can only be one winner... [/b]
Jake White is a master. Great achievement in the face of know-nothing bullshit.

The answer to the thread ***le is: No!

But on that basis, Wales fans (and some Ireland fans) might be right in thinking they know as much as the coach.

the managers have 2 listen 2 the fans sumtimes

after all, isnt that who the players are playing for?

Turns out those of us wailing with dispair when Balshaw was picked were, yet again, correct. What a surprise.

Turns out those of us wailing with dispair when Balshaw was picked were, yet again, correct. What a surprise. [/b]
Not all of us were Wailing. Personally I laughed ................. but yeah it does kinda hammer home the point. I mean the whole world new that selection was an accident waiting to happen.

Latest posts