• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Swapping backs and forwards

azeli

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Back in my 1st XV days to make training a little different the coach would make us swap positions ie forwards playing in the backs and vice versa. We actually did this for an actual game where we played against a 3rd XV. Being a blindside flanker I was pretty pleased to be playing centre (outside centre). In that spirit check out this All Blacks side:

1 Jimmy Cowan
2 Dan Carter
3 Ma'a Nonu
4 Joe Rokocoko (One of the tallest backs?)
5 SBW (Another tall back)
6 Isaia Toeava
7 Conrad Smith
8 Mils Muliaina
9 Keven Mealamu
10 Richie McCaw
11 Kieran Read
12 Jerome Kaino
13 Brad Thorn
14 John Afoa (after his try against wales deserves his place on the wing)
15 Tony Woodcock

This side should play against Guam or Sri Lanka...

A scrumhalf at loosehead?
Even against a lower-down-team like Guam i'd expect him to die in the first scrum

A scrumhalf at loosehead?
Even against a lower-down-team like Guam i'd expect him to die in the first scrum

We'll just have to scrum down 'wallaby' style...

plus cowan is not exactly the size of...Stringer...

We'll just have to scrum down 'wallaby' style...

plus cowan is not exactly the size of...Stringer...

Yeah, playing rugby league! :p

The idea behind "forwards and backs swap" is that everyone just reverts to type as soon as the set pieces are over.

It's funny because over your rugby career when you start out as a little'un.. well in my experience I have seen loads of players growing up who start off in the backs and end up in the forwards in their prime time years and start in the forwards and end up in the backs in their prime time...
Im a staunch blindside flanker now but when I was a kid I started at Fullback, then to the Wing, then First Five...
My friends have done the same, Lomu was number 8 and ended up THEE world class Winger.

an irish one

1 darcy
2 o'leary
3 trimble
4 sexton
5 fitzgerald
6 earls
7 o'driscoll
8 bowe
9 wallace
10 flannery
11 o'brien
12 cian healy
13 ferris
14 buckley
15 heaslip

would be a grand Day out if they played this team :D

Flannary suits the 10 position. He's good at kicking... :p

Ah go on then, a Welsh one:

01 Jonathan Davies
02 Shane Williams
03 Jamie Roberts
04 Lee Byrne
05 George North
06 Stephen Jones
07 Mike Phillips
08 Gavin Henson

09 Adam Jones
10 Martyn Williams
11 Andy Powell
12 Bradley Davies
13 Gethin Jenkins
14 Matthew Rees
15 Ryan Jones

Nice with the Gav bit. Martyn Williams has played Scrum-Half for the Blues on a couple of occasions when they've been desperate, but then Adam Jones does the same for the Ospreys every time Jamie Nutbrown plays! I can see Martyn as a 10, although I think Powell in the centres would be a better bet. Even though he isn't part of the international set-up, Lou Reed is incredibly quick for a forward. I'd go with him and Dan Lydiate (Who can definatly shift) on the wings.

As for Ireland, Bowe 6, D'Arcy 8. Just can't see Tommy doing anything off the back of the scrum. No idea who'd prop, though.

Great idea, by the way.

Im not being picky or anything but mods... since you guys cleaned out one of the Rugby 2012 discussions that included talks about Rugby Challenge because it was in the wrong section, does the same apply here in the general southern hemisphere where talks of northern hemisphere teams are taking place or is it different for some reason?

Most people probably didn't realise that it's specifically a SH thread,
I know I didn't until you just mentioned it, as I click the "New Posts" button, and go through threads from there so don't generally look at which forum theyre in

If it was a thread like "What do people think of the Hurricanes chances next season?" then people were discussing the 6Nations, the threads would be split/posts moved to the right place, but it's all similar/the same subject matter here, so, in my eyes, it's ok

LOL, I remember reading somewhere that Bakkies Botha was a scrum-half and Victor Matfield a fly-half or the other way around during school days. As for myself, I migrated from no.8 in primary school to wing in highschool and ended up at lock for UCT 4rths for a laugh (although the laugh didn't last long; we went backward in the scrums at a rate of knots but i can at least say that I did manage to recover 6/6 restarts for my team once and was handy on a turn-over).

SA:

1 Jaque Fourie
2 Ricky Januarie LOL
3 Frans Steyn
4 JP Pietersen
5 Jean de Villiers
6 Gerhard van der Heever
7 Wynand Olivier
8 Lwazi Mvovo
9 Heinrich Brussow
10 Schalk Burger
11 Ryan kankowski
12 Willem Alberts
13 Keegan Daniel
14 Pierre Spies
15 Ashley Johnson

My french one. Almost believable...

In bold, the ones you could try in extreme emergency/last recourse situation.

3 Bastareaud
4 Traille
5 Rougerie
6 Malzieu
7 Trinh Duc
8 Jauzion
9 Chabal
10 Harinordoquy
11 Lapandry
12 Servat
13 Ouedraogo
14 Nyanga
15 Bonnaire

Last edited:
Australia

1. Morgan Turinui
2. Anthony Fainga'a
3. Tyrone Smith
4. Francis Fainifo
5. Ryan Cross
6. Stirling Mortlock
7. Adam Ashley-Cooper
8. Tom Carter
9. Benn Robinson
10. Huia Edmonds
11. Scott Higginbotham
12. David Pocock
13. Matt Hodgson
14. Rocky Elsom
15. Pat McCutcheon

I'd make Devin Toner scrumhalf for the comedy value. Also, while the opposition are busy laughing we could score tries.

Bet Deccie never thought of that

It's been done:

Mauro_Bergamasco_1_1294727c.jpg

1. Luke Burgess
2. Matt Giteau
3. Will Genia
4. Luke Morahan
5. Quade Cooper
6. Rob Horne
7. Peter Hynes
8. Digby Ioane

9. Polota-nau