RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
This is big news!

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/boland-bulls-set-to-join-forces-20160504 http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/swd-back-in-stormers-fold-20160502

[TEXTAREA]The Western Province Rugby Football Union (WPRFU) has welcomed South Western Districts back into the Stormers fold.

South Western Districts formed part of the original Stormers franchise which was formed in 1998, and after a 10 year absence the union has once again been made official partners in the Stormers franchise.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]Western Province’s renewed partnership with South Western Districts has paved the way for a shock alliance between Boland and the Blue Bulls.

The finer details of the partnership are still unclear, with the Bulls yet to comment on the matter.

However, with transformation of utmost importance, it would allow the Bulls to acquire the services of several talented coloured players coming out of the Boland region.[/TEXTAREA]

This could mean that players from Stellenbosch and Paarl areas will now be first choices for the Bulls.

This is big news!

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/boland-bulls-set-to-join-forces-20160504 http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/swd-back-in-stormers-fold-20160502

[TEXTAREA]The Western Province Rugby Football Union (WPRFU) has welcomed South Western Districts back into the Stormers fold.

South Western Districts formed part of the original Stormers franchise which was formed in 1998, and after a 10 year absence the union has once again been made official partners in the Stormers franchise.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]Western Province's renewed partnership with South Western Districts has paved the way for a shock alliance between Boland and the Blue Bulls.

The finer details of the partnership are still unclear, with the Bulls yet to comment on the matter.

However, with transformation of utmost importance, it would allow the Bulls to acquire the services of several talented coloured players coming out of the Boland region.[/TEXTAREA]

This could mean that players from Stellenbosch and Paarl areas will now be first choices for the Bulls.

I don't know about that, I know Boland have the West Coast and Cape Winelands District, but I don't think they will get Stellies and Paarl. Firstly because I know that both those areas represent Western Province and not Boland in Craven Week and secondly because Western Province's high performance facility is based in Stellenbosch. All youth players out of school (who don't go to a big varsity and play Varsity Cup) are developed there.

I don't know about that, I know Boland have the West Coast and Cape Winelands District, but I don't think they will get Stellies and Paarl. Firstly because I know that both those areas represent Western Province and not Boland in Craven Week and secondly because Western Province's high performance facility is based in Stellenbosch. All youth players out of school (who don't go to a big varsity and play Varsity Cup) are developed there.

Possibly you're right, but if you look at the borderlines of the unions, then Stellenbosch and Paarl does fall under the Boland region. But we don't know yet the full extent of the agreement between Boland and the Bulls, so maybe there is some form of technicality where the HPC and it's players are not part of the deal...

Possibly you're right, but if you look at the borderlines of the unions, then Stellenbosch and Paarl does fall under the Boland region. But we don't know yet the full extent of the agreement between Boland and the Bulls, so maybe there is some form of technicality where the HPC and it's players are not part of the deal...

On that note, do you know what the region for Western Province is? I tried to look it up, but on both Wikipedia and google searches it just gives me the whole of the Western Cape. I found the address to their Academy though:
Western Province Rugby Institute
Stellenbosch Academy of Sports
1 Krige St, Stellenbosch, 7600

- - - Updated - - -

On that note though, I think this is a little irrelevant when talking about new talent. Generally WP players either get picked up by other unions at Craven Week, carry on through the WP Academy, or they go play some Varsity Cup. Nowadays its more of a factor of how close your university is to a team, and I don't think Stellies students will easily be able to play Bulls sides, which they currently can do for WP (in Currie Cup senior and U21 level).

On that note, do you know what the region for Western Province is? I tried to look it up, but on both Wikipedia and google searches it just gives me the whole of the Western Cape. I found the address to their Academy though:
Western Province Rugby Institute
Stellenbosch Academy of Sports
1 Krige St, Stellenbosch, 7600

- - - Updated - - -

On that note though, I think this is a little irrelevant when talking about new talent. Generally WP players either get picked up by other unions at Craven Week, carry on through the WP Academy, or they go play some Varsity Cup. Nowadays its more of a factor of how close your university is to a team, and I don't think Stellies students will easily be able to play Bulls sides, which they currently can do for WP (in Currie Cup senior and U21 level).

Sure, Here's the map

800px-SAunions.png

Wow I didn't realise how small we are. Funny that three of the biggest unions are the three smallest.

True, but in fairness those small regions are highly populated areas. If you look at Griquas, it's mostly Dessert and very small towns.

But I am surprized at how big Boland's region is. I thought it was just the Paarl, Worcester and Franschoek area. I just had a discussion about this with my Brother (who is a massive Stormers Supporter), and he says that Stellenbosch is registered under Western Province region and not Boland, and they did that because of the introduction of the Varsity Cup and the HPC in Stellenbosch.

True, but in fairness those small regions are highly populated areas. If you look at Griquas, it's mostly Dessert and very small towns.

But I am surprized at how big Boland's region is. I thought it was just the Paarl, Worcester and Franschoek area. I just had a discussion about this with my Brother (who is a massive Stormers Supporter), and he says that Stellenbosch is registered under Western Province region and not Boland, and they did that because of the introduction of the Varsity Cup and the HPC in Stellenbosch.

Yea I know, it kinda shows how odd our country is though, some major hubs with high populations and then vast areas of nothing, apart from the small dorpie every now and then.

Interesting, I guess that makes sense though, Western Province wanted to make sure they have a hold on the major powerhouses in the area. Does your brother maybe know why Paarl schools (and even Boland Landbou) play for Western Province and not Boland?

Also, out of interest, why do you support the Bulls and your brother the Stormers?

Yea I know, it kinda shows how odd our country is though, some major hubs with high populations and then vast areas of nothing, apart from the small dorpie every now and then.

Interesting, I guess that makes sense though, Western Province wanted to make sure they have a hold on the major powerhouses in the area. Does your brother maybe know why Paarl schools (and even Boland Landbou) play for Western Province and not Boland?

Also, out of interest, why do you support the Bulls and your brother the Stormers?

Well when he was 12 years old, he played Craven Week U/13 and the tournament was held in Stellenbosch. It was his first time in the Cape and he met a bunch of Springboks at that time who played for WP. And that was where it evolved into his love for the Stormers. Then when he went to Varsity (UJ), he became friends with Duane Vermeulen, Jean Deysel and Elton Jantjies, who was with him in Dromedaris Manskoshuis. He has since then remained friends with all of them. And now he's a Chartered Accountant and works for a company who's HQ is in Stellenbosch. They do some of the player's audits and so on. So he's pretty much clued up with what's going on in the Stormers camp.

According to him, this news won't hurt WP as much as I thought it would. WP sign players when they play Craven week, regardless of the region they played. Then WP try to accomodate them for Varsity cup with either Maties or Ikeys, which basically makes them WP players and not Boland or other region players. Then the youth players are in the U/19 and U/21 squads and so they basically hardly ever go out of their region to get players. But you do get the odd occasion, and his example was that "If Kolbe gets injured, and there's not a quality replacement for him in WP, then they'll get in touch with SWD and get a guy like Bevin Fortuin as a sub".

Well when he was 12 years old, he played Craven Week U/13 and the tournament was held in Stellenbosch. It was his first time in the Cape and he met a bunch of Springboks at that time who played for WP. And that was where it evolved into his love for the Stormers. Then when he went to Varsity (UJ), he became friends with Duane Vermeulen, Jean Deysel and Elton Jantjies, who was with him in Dromedaris Manskoshuis. He has since then remained friends with all of them. And now he's a Chartered Accountant and works for a company who's HQ is in Stellenbosch. They do some of the player's audits and so on. So he's pretty much clued up with what's going on in the Stormers camp.

According to him, this news won't hurt WP as much as I thought it would. WP sign players when they play Craven week, regardless of the region they played. Then WP try to accomodate them for Varsity cup with either Maties or Ikeys, which basically makes them WP players and not Boland or other region players. Then the youth players are in the U/19 and U/21 squads and so they basically hardly ever go out of their region to get players. But you do get the odd occasion, and his example was that "If Kolbe gets injured, and there's not a quality replacement for him in WP, then they'll get in touch with SWD and get a guy like Bevin Fortuin as a sub".

Ah okay, well then that all makes sense for him. I mean it sounds like he has been a fan for quite a while then. It's just odd hearing of someone born and raised in the north supporting the Stormers.

Ah okay, so it is as I suspected (and posted in an updated post earlier which you may have missed). Sounds like it isn't a loss at all for WP. I wonder what caused the rift between the two unions.

Ah okay, well then that all makes sense for him. I mean it sounds like he has been a fan for quite a while then. It's just odd hearing of someone born and raised in the north supporting the Stormers.

Ah okay, so it is as I suspected (and posted in an updated post earlier which you may have missed). Sounds like it isn't a loss at all for WP. I wonder what caused the rift between the two unions.

Apparently it has something to do with Mr. Wakefield himself and his way of handling with things at SARU meetings, and not backing Boland's proposals.

You will be surprized at how many Stormers fans there are up here. In the Complex where I live which consists of 14 units, I can say that I am the only Bulls supporter, and there are 7 Stormers supporters and 4 Sharks Supporters...

My brother did however say that players in the Paarl Region, who is in High School could now possibly sign for the Bulls before they are picked for Craven Week (Like Francois Hougaard), where Boland would normally notify WP first of the star players...

Apparently it has something to do with Mr. Wakefield himself and his way of handling with things at SARU meetings, and not backing Boland's proposals.

You will be surprized at how many Stormers fans there are up here. In the Complex where I live which consists of 14 units, I can say that I am the only Bulls supporter, and there are 7 Stormers supporters and 4 Sharks Supporters...

My brother did however say that players in the Paarl Region, who is in High School could now possibly sign for the Bulls before they are picked for Craven Week (Like Francois Hougaard), where Boland would normally notify WP first of the star players...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

Yes, but are they all born and raised up there? I was born and raised in Cape Town, but I moved to Joburg last year and still support the Stormers. I have a feeling quite a number of the people in that complex aren't from the region.

Wasn't that the case beforehand though? When I went to the St Stithians rugby festival, a few players got offered contracts from unions from there. One of our players got offered a contract from the Pumas (who weren't as good then as they are now) which resulted in him getting a bit of a hard time for the rest of the tour.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

Yes, but are they all born and raised up there? I was born and raised in Cape Town, but I moved to Joburg last year and still support the Stormers. I have a feeling quite a number of the people in that complex aren't from the region.

Wasn't that the case beforehand though? When I went to the St Stithians rugby festival, a few players got offered contracts from unions from there. One of our players got offered a contract from the Pumas (who weren't as good then as they are now) which resulted in him getting a bit of a hard time for the rest of the tour.

Remember a couple of years ago the policies for Unions signing school kids changed. And that the "mother" union now has the first right to sign a player, and only if that franchise doesn't want to sign him, can an "outside" union make a bid.

BUT, the Super Rugby Franchises got smart with regard to contracts and deals. And now you get the case where a player gets signed for a union, but in his contract he plays for an outside franchise... Something like what Vincent Koch and Faf De Klerk was when the were still Pumas players.

So what could happen now is the Bulls will make a bid for a prospective young fly half there in Paarl Boys High, make a deal with Boland to "capture" that player, and then in a year or so gets traded to the Bulls and Boland now pockets the money instead of WP...

Remember a couple of years ago the policies for Unions signing school kids changed. And that the "mother" union now has the first right to sign a player, and only if that franchise doesn't want to sign him, can an "outside" union make a bid.

BUT, the Super Rugby Franchises got smart with regard to contracts and deals. And now you get the case where a player gets signed for a union, but in his contract he plays for an outside franchise... Something like what Vincent Koch and Faf De Klerk was when the were still Pumas players.

So what could happen now is the Bulls will make a bid for a prospective young fly half there in Paarl Boys High, make a deal with Boland to "capture" that player, and then in a year or so gets traded to the Bulls and Boland now pockets the money instead of WP...

Do you know when that change occurred? I was at that tournament in 2010.

It would make sense if it came after though. Just thinking about what happened with Pollard. There were also a couple of players from my time who went to the Sharks academy. I'm sure Varsity Cup has messed up that plan a bit now, because if a kid wants some education while playing rugby, Boland can't really offer that to him. He would have to head up to Pretoria or play for one of the WC universities.

Do you know when that change occurred? I was at that tournament in 2010.

It would make sense if it came after though. Just thinking about what happened with Pollard. There were also a couple of players from my time who went to the Sharks academy. I'm sure Varsity Cup has messed up that plan a bit now, because if a kid wants some education while playing rugby, Boland can't really offer that to him. He would have to head up to Pretoria or play for one of the WC universities.

The Regulation came into effect after the 2012 Craven Week. so basically it was from 2013 onwards...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts