dasNdanger

First XV
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Hiya!

Just a not-so-little intro...

I grew up in the States, so needless to say rugby wasn't in my blood from youth on as is the case with many here. In fact, I never even knew about the game until about 12 years ago. As a wee lass I loved hockey, but my interest in that game wore off when they started tinkering with the rules to make it more appealing to Americans. So for a few years I gave up on sports. But when I was in my twenties I stumbled across a game called Aussie Rules late one night. Wow...a game with more action than hockey, and with a lot less clothing, too! :D Yeah, I was intrigued. But, alas, it wasn't an easy game to find on tv, and when ESPN did air a match, it was usually at 3 am, and then sometimes just a clipped highlights show. Blech. Once again my interest in a sport died away, and I got into more important things, like getting married and buying a house and stuff.

Fastforward about a decade and a half. I'm bored, sitting at home one day, flipping channels. Movie. Animal show. Music videos. A mass of bodies tumbling all over one another. Talk show. Columbo rerun...wait. What did I just see? A mass of bodies? Was that the game I used to watch, Aussie-something-or-other? I flipped back to the mass of bodies, realized it wasn't Aussie Rules, but something much, MUCH better. This must be that game I recently heard about...rugby. I was immediately hooked. More structure than Aussie Rules, but not nearly as rigid as the gridiron football most of my fellow countrymen enjoy.

That was ten years ago. Since the first matches I ever watched were from the southern hemisphere, I am naturally a fan of the teams I first saw play. I wavered between Australia and New Zealand, finally settling on NZ, and the Crusaders. And yes...I mean, no...I mean, yes, Justin Marshall had a lot to do with it. :blush: But that doesn't mean I have rigid loyalty to any one team. A couple weeks ago I cheered the Rebels on as they trounced the Crusaders. (I do so love an underdog!) Being part Scottish, whenever Scotland plays I root for 'em (I know, I KNOW!). And yeah, I even went through a Sebastien Chabal stage...(I know, I KNOW!!). And, regardless of the team, I love any player with a funny name. :D

But before you get the idea that I only watch for the guys, nah, that's not it at all. I watch because rugby is one of the last pure sports on the planet. It's not all strutting and playing to the camera, and though I know egos are huge in the game (as they are in any sport), there's a sense of team over individual that I am just not seeing in most other sports today. There's conflict, but also camaraderie. There are men who fall down over and over again and keep getting back up (heck, if I fall down once, I'm staying down, AND taking a nap!). But more than anything there's that drive, that indefatigable determination to reach the try line, no matter what, and the equal determination to see that - again, no matter what - that try never happens.

However, I don't deny agreeing with two Super 12 (at the time) announcers as they were commenting on a play several years ago. After the clip was replayed four or five times to see if there was a grounding, one commentator said, "Ah, the rolling maul. It's the sexiest part of rugby, isn't it?", to which the other responded with absolute passion in his voice, "Oh, yes it is. Just look at all those sweaty, smelly great big blokes in there!" :eek:

Well, I sure was, but I'm girl. ;)

das

Welcome to the forum - hope you enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum - hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the welcome! My husband really isn't into rugby, even though he was a touch judge once during a tournament - oh, the things he'll get himself into the second my back is turned! But for the most part I don't have anyone to really talk with about the game, so I figured I'd give this place a go. Looks pretty good so far, but I'm still exploring. Probably will post in the wrong forum or something - just yellow card me if I do. ;)

das

You will certainly get plenty of opportunity to talk about rugby here! You can't really go to wrong here - if you post in the wrong section one of the friendly moderators will probably put it in the right place for you :)

You may notice the forum is pretty quiet at the moment, but you will see an explosion of interest just before, during, and especially directly after a major game. You often see a lot ranting from the losing teams fans, but given you have chosen to support two of the most successful teams in world rugby (the All Blacks and the Crusaders) I'm sure we wont see too much ranting from you! The Super Rugby section has been pretty busy this year, and I'm sure you will see that get a lot of activity again once the season re-commences in a couple of weeks.

The being Scottish should counter-balance that.

Welcome to the forum.

You will certainly get plenty of opportunity to talk about rugby here! You can't really go to wrong here - if you post in the wrong section one of the friendly moderators will probably put it in the right place for you :)

You may notice the forum is pretty quiet at the moment, but you will see an explosion of interest just before, during, and especially directly after a major game. You often see a lot ranting from the losing teams fans, but given you have chosen to support two of the most successful teams in world rugby (the All Blacks and the Crusaders) I'm sure we wont see too much ranting from you! The Super Rugby section has been pretty busy this year, and I'm sure you will see that get a lot of activity again once the season re-commences in a couple of weeks.

You may be surprised just how much I CAN rant! ;) But mostly my rants involve the crappy rugby coverage we have here in the States. (Right now I'm getting Super Rugby and some of the spring internationals, and had been getting some northern hemi matches, but now that's all switched to rugby league, which I'm not all that much into, except for the State of Origin.)

As far as both the All Blacks and the Crusaders are concerned, while they are top teams, we both know they've had some magnificent facepalm losing moments over the past ten years, so I don't feel too much like a bandwagon jumper-on. Plus, I will push them under said bandwagon if I develop a soft spot for 15 dejected fellas in desperate need of a win. I just hate to see grown men cry, I suppose. ;)

The being Scottish should counter-balance that.

Welcome to the forum.

:lol:

We're used to coming in second, or third, or...ya know...further down. However, as long as there's ale and/or a good single malt, who cares! We're still gonna celebrate as much as the victors! Mebbe even more. ;)

das

Last edited:
welcome Das,

Hope you are getting the hang of the forum now, im pretty new too but loving the layout etc.
You remarked that you hailed from scotland at some point in history.

Fingers crossed for a boom in scottish rugby, i dont know if you hve heard but we are going to win the next world cup!

few good threads in the internation section and the rabo direct pro 12 section to get you back up to speed on all the scottish stuff.

enjoy!

welcome Das,

Hope you are getting the hang of the forum now, im pretty new too but loving the layout etc.
You remarked that you hailed from scotland at some point in history.

Fingers crossed for a boom in scottish rugby, i dont know if you hve heard but we are going to win the next world cup!

few good threads in the internation section and the rabo direct pro 12 section to get you back up to speed on all the scottish stuff.

enjoy!

Thankies! Would be great to see Scotland raise the Cup! For the time being, however, I'm guessing the only cup they'll be raising will be filled with a good ale or single malt. ;)

And alas, no...I don't hail from Scotland, but the US. My ancestors, however, did come from Scotland (I'm a Macbeth and a Stobo). If I could, I'd move to Scotland in a second! I love cold, damp weather. And men in kilts. ;)

I like the forum, too. Been terrible busy the last couple weeks and haven't been able to keep up on the discussion, but I have been watching the matches (Super Rugby and some of the spring tour).

I always cheer Scotland on, however, when it comes to northern hemi matches (on international and club level). I do need to brush up on my Scottish rugby, though. Problem is time. I'm very busy, especially this time of year. I used to get Rugby World magazine, and that really helped me keep up with the teams and the stats, but that was a while ago, and a subscription to the US is fairly expensive. (I do better reading from a mag than from the computer screen.)

Okay, sorry 'bout that - I'm rambling. Thanks again for the welcome, and the tips!

Cheers!

das

A belated welcome to the forum Das ... being a rugby fan in North America, you definitely have cause to rant about the coverage on tv sometimes, and you also need to be quite nocturnal if you want to watch it live
... anyway, you picked a great sport to follow (and an excellent choice of teams to follow, I might add), although the other two sports you mentioned aren't bad either.

A belated welcome to the forum Das ... being a rugby fan in North America, you definitely have cause to rant about the coverage on tv sometimes, and you also need to be quite nocturnal if you want to watch it live
... anyway, you picked a great sport to follow (and an excellent choice of teams to follow, I might add), although the other two sports you mentioned aren't bad either.

Thanks, Shaggy! Always great to 'meet' another All Blacks fan! :)

I get rugby through a Fox channel and usually dvr the matches, but when Super Rugby starts for some reason they are aired on a separate channel courtsey of DirecTV. Problem is, they are only aired once - live - and for the first few weeks I couldn't pre-record, I had to actually be awake for the match to start, and then I could record it. They finally got that glitch fixed, but it was a real pain in the arse for a while. And because the don't re-air them, I have to record the matches all at once, which usually means playing a sort of Russian roulette with my other recorded shows/matches to see which ones stay, and which get deleted (mneedless to say, my dvr is pretty full).

The nocturnal thing doesn't bother me - I've always been a bit of a night owl. And unless I MUST see a match live, I'm content to watch it at my leisure. It's not like the match is going to be spoiled by the local news, or anything. ;)

das

Latest posts