• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Swine Flu!

H

Haysie

This Swine Flu intrigues me... it seems there have been cases in Sydney already and all over New Zealand. Seeing as it looks like it's killing people, are we going to end up with something like 28 days/weeks later? Cause that would suck.

With a whopping 8 confirmed deaths in Mexico, it appears if you die over there of anything swine flu killed you, originally there were 280 deaths from it, with a recount they confirmed 8....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8025931.stm

Looks like a pandemic is imminent. And whilst there are only 8 people confirmed to have died of it in Mexico, there are another 160 confirmed to have died.

What worries me is that it has suddenly materialised in Spain without anyone having been anywhere near Mexico. That's a big problem if it's suddenly going to transpire like that. I expect WHO will have their scale at level 6, a full pandemic, by the end of the weekend. I do hope I'm wrong.

Having said that, I think I am coming down with this swine flu, you know. I woke up this morning covered in rashers. I am going to the doctors later for some oinkment. I did try the helpline but there's just crackling.

ASwine fluuuuuuuuuuu :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :buddies: :buddies: :buddies: :buddies:

World Health Association has already took care about that virus to be announced as dangerous

so do not touch and come across the persons who have typical flue symptoms guyzzzz :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WHO Pandemic Levels

Here is a quick look at the WHO's pandemic alert phases:
Phase 1: A virus in animals has caused no known infections in humans.
Phase 2: An animal flu virus has caused infection in humans.
Phase 3: Sporadic cases or small clusters of disease occur in humans. Human-to-human transmission, if any, is insufficient to cause community-level outbreaks.
Phase 4: The risk for a pandemic is greatly increased but not certain. The disease-causing virus is able to cause community-level outbreaks.
Phase 5: Still not a pandemic, but spread of disease between humans is occurring in more than one country of one WHO region.
Phase 6: This is the pandemic level. Community-level outbreaks are in at least one additional country in a different WHO region from phase 5. A global pandemic is under way.

Note that all of those phases are about how the virus is (or isn't) spreading -- they're not about the severity of the disease.

27K39.jpg

According to our local ice-cream-man, there's been a confirmed case in the town down the valley. WE'RE DOOMED!

Why exactly is this flu so dangerous? I've just read that about 30 000 people die from the common flu every year in the US alone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Apr 30 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why exactly is this flu so dangerous? I've just read that about 30 000 people die from the common flu every year in the US alone.[/b]

Aren't most of those elderly people though? It's very uncommon for flue to kill young healthy adults as this flue is doing.

Still though, first it was bird flue, then this (though I realise this is more concerning as people have actually died). The media really do love sensationalising things. It'll just have all the paranoid fools paniking all the way to every hospital, screwing up the whole system!

There there paranoid android, everything will be ok.......................

faatau says: This flu strain is different.. it's is no more serious, but it is new to everyone and some people will react in different ways. In some people it'll be tame, in others it will cause the immune system to overreact badly and that may cause other issues that are not actually swine flu symptoms. I'm not sure what they are, but it's more that the symptoms they have from the overreaction are not noticed, and then it's complications or getting stuff like pneumonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Apr 30 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What worries me is that it has suddenly materialised in Spain without anyone having been anywhere near Mexico. That's a big problem if it's suddenly going to transpire like that. I expect WHO will have their scale at level 6, a full pandemic, by the end of the weekend. I do hope I'm wrong.[/b]
There are TONS of Latino Americans in Spain, there would surely have been some contact with Mexico I am sure.

Right, this 'swine flu' is not actually original swine flu, which as far as i can tell.. is not a real threat to humans.. it is a different strain of swine flu that humans can contract.

It's not exactly, bubonic plague.. so let's not panic.. but we just obviously deal with it before it becomes the new MRSA.. i.e let's not cock this up with ignorance.

In Mexico, where the outbreak started it is worse because obviously the infection is far more consentrated.. but as it goes around the globe from visitors to mexico during it's infection period, i can't see it causing major widespread global infection. Firstly, because it's the worst time to be a flu virus at this time of year, and secondly because the distance it will have to travel to reach other continents.. the germs will only have a short lifespan.. should it actually last that long. The danger is that it might last around until the traditional flu time, and it might pose a bigger problem.

For every person in the UK who has the swine flu and is a carrier, x amount of people will get it, and pass it on.. but it will get weaker after each passing on phase.. especially as it's being treated early. The only way it will survive in the long-term is for consistant re-infection from the original source.. but by that time, the situation in Mexico should be under control.. and what's left infection wise here is it's natural infection period. Once everyone has passed that period, it will decline rapidly as it'll have no where to go.. just like any other 'bug'.

The actual 'swine flu' is not the real problem here really. It is just the fact that x amount of people will get a different type of flu which they are not immune to, which throws up more variables and will up the percentage of flu deaths because people won't know they have it. More people will die from flu, because there is more flu around.. but not because it's any more lethal than human flu. It's just that people at risk might have double the risk of getting flu, and then getting serious illenesses like pneumonia.

I think the media will hype this up as usual. If only all the immigrants went home, or Diana was still alive, (she'd save us all, if your a Daily Mail reader).. Yes, people have died.. but they haven't died in any other way to human flu.. and people die everyday of flu.. it's not like the tamiflu treatment is not working or that people are dying of some grousome disease where their eyes explode and dribble down their faces, their brains incubate hatchings and their limbs fall off and bite people.

I will not worry.. yes it is a threat, and a notable threat.. but only because we don't really know what this can turn into if we ignore it long enough. It'll be the new MRSA. Generally, i don't abuse personal hygiene and i always wash my hands.use a tissue after doing anything that i might be able to pass on.. like a sneeze, spit, toilet or whatever. If we all do that, we'd all be healthier.. so this is no different.

Besides, i can't die of Swine flu. I'm still waiting to die of SARS.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Apr 30 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think I am coming down with this swine flu, you know. I woke up this morning covered in rashers. I am going to the doctors later for some oinkment. I did try the helpline but there's just crackling.[/b]
:lol:

2 kids from my school were tested for it last week. I'd say I'm scared, but I'd only be telling porkies.

Latest posts