• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Switch to 7s

ENZED-88

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Auckland
So there's an article in the Sydney daily Telegraph today about Bernard Foley negotiating a short term deal to represent Australia in 7s at the 2016 Olympics because he comes from a sevens background, and only super xv players with a proven 7s background would be recruited into the 7s set up, other players linked to these short term 7s deal are Henry Speight and Sean McMahon. It got me thinking about what top XVs players I would like to see have a crack at the Rio games.

SBW
Messam
Savea
Piatau

Now let's hear yours ladies and gentlemen:

I think Owen Farrell, Brad Barritt and Dylan Hartley should all be seconded to 7s.

^_^

Slightly more seriously, the obvious English candidates are Tom Croft, Matt Kvesic, Christian Wade and Joe Simpson. Shame it's such a different sport now that it will take the player out of real rugby for at least a year though.

It'll be very interesting to see how big a draw it will be for non-EPS players.
Would Wade switch for a year in the hope of getting an Olympic medal?
I wouldn't bet against one or two unexpected "big" names doing it.

I could see Varndell, Ollie Lindsay-Hague (that kid should be being encouraged to do it) and Charlie Walker give it a go, just off the top of my head.
I reckon a lot of Championship players and recently graduated u20's players might be more likely to though - if it was this year, Nathan Earle, for example.

So there's an article in the Sydney daily Telegraph today about Bernard Foley negotiating a short term deal to represent Australia in 7s at the 2016 Olympics because he comes from a sevens background, and only super xv players with a proven 7s background would be recruited into the 7s set up, other players linked to these short term 7s deal are Henry Speight and Sean McMahon. It got me thinking about what top XVs players I would like to see have a crack at the Rio games.

SBW
Messam
Savea
Piatau

Now let's hear yours ladies and gentlemen:

SBW, Messam, and Savea are all likely to have a go IMO ... I like to see Fekitoa, and perhaps Ardie Savea ... Victor Vito?

Hosea Gear, Julian Savea, Victor Vito and Ardie Savea would all be my preferences (Messam would be fine too). I generally don't think SBW will be particularly good at 7's - Fekitoa would be a better shout IMHO.

For England, Christian Wade back in the 7s team would be sweet. There is talk whether Folau would be interested in joining the 7's team if he renews his contract.

Hosea Gear, Julian Savea, Victor Vito and Ardie Savea would all be my preferences (Messam would be fine too). I generally don't think SBW will be particularly good at 7's - Fekitoa would be a better shout IMHO.

For England, Christian Wade back in the 7s team would be sweet. There is talk whether Folau would be interested in joining the 7's team if he renews his contract.

Would like to see folau have a go, word is he's not willing to give up a year of rugby to try 7s, would love to see Shaun Johnson make fools out of other 7s teams too.

Would like to see folau have a go, word is he's not willing to give up a year of rugby to try 7s, would love to see Shaun Johnson make fools out of other 7s teams too.

Johnson would be brilliant. Cordero and Senatla are two very exciting players who are playing 7s now but when Rio comes round they being playing 15s. Oh also Nadolo, Treviranus, Talebula.

I know there's been a lot of talk about NRL players having a go... but have any of the players stated that they are seriously considering it?
Or is it just speculation?

Savea in 7s?

That's like Jonah Lomu all over again, one man human wrecking ball Savea will be.

Latest posts