• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Switching codes

W

whatamunson

Hi

I'm down in NZ travelling for a year and have started playing rugby again after a few years out. I'm training with a union side just now but have the chance to go and start training with a league side tomorrow. I've never played league before but I'm a keen armchair fan. Has anyone on here ever made the switch before. Any tipson what to expect, I'm quite nervous to be honest.

Cheers

In the last couple of years I've played them both at the same time. It all depends what position you’re going to play?

Probably the best tip is don't follow the ball; in modern day league most positions have a designated side and corridor. The most common mistake with union players who make the switch (especially forwards) is the tendency to follow the ball around. You'll conserve a lot of energy & if your team can't capitalise on your possession or playmakers don't tactical kick for territory or your team just can’t hold the ball, then you’re going to need it.

Practice your line running (Unders & Overs), once you perfect those if your playmaker plays at the line you’ll be breaking the line regardless how big you are. It’s the most under rated skill in the league, but can make the difference between being good and being great.

League in NZ is slower then it is in Aussie but a lot more physical. So practice running into the wall :lol:

Latest posts