Sydney to lose Origin matches if stadium doesn't fill up

Discussion in 'NRL / Southern Hemisphere' started by sanzar, May 20, 2008.

1. sanzar

sanzar Guest

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sydne...1182705248.html

This isn't very good... Not many NSW league boys on here, but for those of you around please get all your mates and there mates and hurry up and sell out this game!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Hamster

Hamster Guest

LOL

Shows again how bad Sydney are at racking crowds - any sport, they just cant rack in big crowds!

I'm even more ****** though cos I was one who missed out on a ticket after they went for sale.. and people in Sydney dont even want to go!

Shame on Sydney. People in Melbourne would be more interested.

4. sanzar

sanzar Guest

It's an 83K seater... not as easy to fill as people think (Brisbane and Melbourne are both 50k'ers - Melbourne host it at the Dome, not the SCG - where incidently the people of Melbourne failed to sell out a Bledisloe Cup match by about 20k seats) and it's in the middle of bloody nowhere! Add to that that it's played in the middle of the week and there are already 9 Rugby League teams in Sydney and the Waratahs have a home semi this weekend and it becomes a harder choice for people who want to go to watch all the matches.

Brisbane usually looks good because you have one team per sport (though that wasn't reflected in the Tahs Reds game, which had a bloody abysmal turnout - THAT wouldn't have happened in Sydney and in fact last year the Tahs sold out their Reds match).

5. the_ozz_man

the_ozz_man Guest

Want to Get More People in then Don't Charge $150 for a good Ticket

I Would love to go with me Dad and Bro's to the Orgin but it's to expensive ($450.00 for Tickets $5 a beer It's a Huge Night out) the only way i went last night Was free tickets from Work

6. Wally

Wally Guest

Mate Queenslanders would sell out ANZ Stadium twice over..

7. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Yeah, but that's because none of you have jobs to go to then following morning :p .

8. Wally

Wally Guest

Haha nice turn out for the Waratahs game last night by the way. Semi-final, dry pitch and you still couldn't even fill that pissy stadium.

9. Hamster

Hamster Guest

Is it me or are just tickets in general a bloody rip off? That and the ridiculous food/beer pricing ****** me off!

Especially at the Gabba at the cricket when the fun police wont stop ******* you off either!

10. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Having a read recently about the ANZ fiasco and some prominent former players made a pretty good point about how shabby ANZ stadium is in general for Rugby League (and any rectangular field game for that matter). You're too far from the action, the thing is in the middle of nowhere and the tickets are a rip off! The atmosphere is also terrible even when there are 83,000 packed in at bledisloe time... it's just not a good footy stadium full stop!

11. This is actually an interesting point... Stadiums can actually have a huge impact on attracting crowds. The Montreal Alouettes a CFL team which now has some of the best attendances in the league used to play at the Olympic stadium in Montreal. It is a 65,000 seat wooly mammoth monstrosity but anybody who has ever watched any sporting event there knows its **** for any sort of sport as its in the middle of nowhere and the views of the game in the stadium are terrible.

The Als played there for 5 years and crowds were terrible ... there was even talk of folding the team. The Als moved their games to Percival Molson stadium which is right downtown Montreal. This stadium was in absolute terrible condition as it was over a 100 years old but the Als slowly started renovating.... bringing capacity upto 25,000 and soon to be increased to 30,000. As of now they have sold out their past 45 consecutive games at the stadium.

Maybe thats some food for thought for Origins planners

12. Wally

Wally Guest

Until the government can justify building a rectangular 80,000 seat stadium, the big games will continue to be played at ANZ. If we win the bid to host the soccer world cup then Sydney might get something decent. I think the rise of soccer in this country will defiantley be of advantage.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!