• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tackles

K

Ken

Hey I joined my school's rugby team for the first time this year and I'm starting to look at the rules more closely now to avoid getting stupid penalties. When I watched the tackling videos it said that a tackler must immediately release the ball carrier after the tackle is made, but when I look at some videos of Jonah Lomu, a.k.a. God, you see him get knocked down as another player hits him but just gets right back up and charges on. So... How can he do that?

Oh, here's an example, flip to 1.25 - 1.35 of this (freaking awesome) video and you'll see what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYt1TOSni4E

The tackle on Jonah was not completed. They slipped off him and he tripped over.

if you are not held in the tackle aka the tackler doulsny keep his arms around you you can get up if you are held you can not get up and must release

Yes, it is because he is not held. If the runner is not held by the tackler until a ruck is formed then the ball-carrier may get up and keep running.

I think between us we have given a pretty definitive answer.

I'm new to the sport so if this question elicits groans, my bad. Anyways, can you strip the ball from the runner like you can do in gridiron football? It seems that this would be a fairly easy tactic to win balls since most runners do not tuck the ball into their body. I guess if you can't use your hands to do this, you could always just put your head on the ball as your tackling the ball carrier.

I'm new to the sport so if this question elicits groans, my bad. Anyways, can you strip the ball from the runner like you can do in gridiron football? It seems that this would be a fairly easy tactic to win balls since most runners do not tuck the ball into their body. I guess if you can't use your hands to do this, you could always just put your head on the ball as your tackling the ball carrier. [/b]
Yes, whilst in the tackle, you may take the ball.

<div class='quotemain'> I'm new to the sport so if this question elicits groans, my bad. Anyways, can you strip the ball from the runner like you can do in gridiron football? It seems that this would be a fairly easy tactic to win balls since most runners do not tuck the ball into their body. I guess if you can't use your hands to do this, you could always just put your head on the ball as your tackling the ball carrier. [/b]
[/b][/quote]

I figured you could but I was watching the France-England match when the ball was fumbled by the French player and the English guy dived on it for a try. Anyways, the announcer made a comment that led me to believe that the English player broke a rule or something to make the French player drop the ball. Maybe he arrived to the ball carrier too early or something. I don't know but he made it seem that since he hit the ball with his hand, he unfairly won the tackle.

I'm new to the sport so if this question elicits groans, my bad. Anyways, can you strip the ball from the runner like you can do in gridiron football? It seems that this would be a fairly easy tactic to win balls since most runners do not tuck the ball into their body. I guess if you can't use your hands to do this, you could always just put your head on the ball as your tackling the ball carrier. [/b]

Easier said than done.

<div class='quotemain'> I'm new to the sport so if this question elicits groans, my bad. Anyways, can you strip the ball from the runner like you can do in gridiron football? It seems that this would be a fairly easy tactic to win balls since most runners do not tuck the ball into their body. I guess if you can't use your hands to do this, you could always just put your head on the ball as your tackling the ball carrier. [/b]

Easier said than done.
[/b][/quote]

You're probably right :p

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I figured you could but I was watching the France-England match when the ball was fumbled by the French player and the English guy dived on it for a try. Anyways, the announcer made a comment that led me to believe that the English player broke a rule or something to make the French player drop the ball. Maybe he arrived to the ball carrier too early or something. I don't know but he made it seem that since he hit the ball with his hand, he unfairly won the tackle.
[/b][/quote]

Your allowed rip it out of their hands or slap it back (still hard to do though) but you cant slap it forward out of their hands or it counts as a knock on against you

Unless say you charge a opposition's kick down. That doesn't count as a knock on.

You can also strip the ball off them once they've been tackled. As long as you stay on your feet and enter from the gate, and the ref hasn't called a ruck yet.

so is that wilkinson 'swinging arm' thing legal? i ask as it got brought up against wales recently but he seemed to get away with it.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

as peppers07 said in that case a knock on should have been given by the ref coz jamie noon slaps the ball forward while tackling whoever it was ( vincent clerc). that tacke was awsome by the way!!

Latest posts