• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tag Rugby.

S

stevemagoo

Now that my XV career is over with the help of broken kneecap, broken ankle and dislocated shoulder....I have welcomed with open arms the social tag rugby explosion that has hit the irish shores over the past few years. 28k people playing in 1700 teams all over the country has proven there are many others in my shoes - Want to play, but have had it with hospitals!

Currently, i'm playing in a team that has played in the last Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn leagues for the last 2 years - Basically rugby all year which is keeping the belly at bay, and giving me the fix of the game, in it's castrated form, i know, but it's a fix nonetheless!

I would guess that there are a few heads out there that are on work teams, social teams etc.. Was just wondering how you all find it? A crap blot on the rugby landscape? A Breath of fresh air that you can now talk tactics and defensive line formations with girls....and they're actually interested? A way to highlight the guns to the opposite sex in order to grab that elusive "clubhouse score"?

I'm squarely in the Breath of fresh air category, as the competition is still there, the camaraderie, and the exhilaration of the game..
Now if only the refs would improve..

You'll always find the purists who detest anything other than the strict 15 player Union format. There are even those who despise Sevens, despite it being the greatest game known to man. Personally I think touch rugby is good fun, and like you said there is still the competitive edge and the social side of things. If there's a greater chance of a "clubhouse score" as well then it's all good. Yes it's a shame to have to miss out on that hard edged physical side of things, but if you're sick of ending up in A&E then go for it and enjoy.

Well put it this way, it is great, except when you play it with your sevens team, and you are a 100kg+ prop in the 15 man code, and your opposition all seems to be 85kg Fijian Wingers, and they chant the phase "forwards vs backs", then the game loses some of its tokeness after a while.

Latest posts