• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tana has arrived in France

D

DonBilly

Tana has arrived in Toulon where he's going to play 8 to 10 matches with the Racing Club de Toulon, the muguet club. He will play the ProD2 championship, a single pool of 16 clubs.

<div align="center">
48471_TOULON_UMAGA_281006.jpg
</div>

Why did he go to a D2 team and not the top flight? You'd think he'd want to be with a team in the Heineken Cup.

Arrivé ce jour à l'aéroport de Nice Côte d'Azur, Tana Umaga sera présenté ce samedi à la Mairie d'Honneur de Toulon.

Puis, il participera à un entraînement (à huis-clos) avec ses nouveaux coéquipiers au Stade Mayol.

Qualifié par la Ligue Nationale de Rugby, Tana Umaga sera aligné face à Lyon ce dimanche.

Présenté cet après-midi aux Joueurs, Tana Umaga a également essayé le futur maillot qui sera dévoilé également dimanche.
http://www.rctoulon.com/savoir/news/news2006-122.html
[/b]

Automatic translater (courtesy of google)
"Arrived this day at the airport of Nice Riviera, Tana Umaga will be presented this Saturday at the Town hall of Honor of Toulon. Then, it will take part in a drive (with door-closed) with its new fellow-members at the Mayol Stage. Qualified by the National League of Rugby, Tana Umaga will be aligned vis-a-vis Lyon this Sunday. Presented this afternoon at the Players, Tana Umaga also tested the future shirt which will be also revealed Sunday."

From the beginning I always thought Tana wasnt retiring for good... This is waht ive thought from the beginning, Now it still may seem like there is no chance, But I he has stayed playing to keep himself ready.

He might not have lasted if he ketp up with the busy ALL BLACK schedule...shuckz the young guys like Carter need a break these days. Anyway Back to my point, He has played enough RUgby to keep himself sharp.

Now I think him playing D2 is a sign to get some more game time to keep sharp before he announces his comeback for the World Cup. While The ALL Blacks are up there he will be there too.

All of this was planned from the beginning maby, Maby this was Henrys Idea as well or a way of preserving Umaga... Who Knows its just a guess.

From the beginning I always thought Tana wasnt retiring for good... This is waht ive thought from the beginning, Now it still may seem like there is no chance, But I he has stayed playing to keep himself ready.

He might not have lasted if he ketp up with the busy ALL BLACK schedule...shuckz the young guys like Carter need a break these days. Anyway Back to my point, He has played enough RUgby to keep himself sharp.

Now I think him playing D2 is a sign to get some more game time to keep sharp before he announces his comeback for the World Cup. While The ALL Blacks are up there he will be there too.

All of this was planned from the beginning maby, Maby this was Henrys Idea as well or a way of preserving Umaga... Who Knows its just a guess.
[/b]
Or not, NZRFU rules are strict on overseas players, so unless he plays some Super 14 or NPC and signs to the NZRFU, I think we've seen the last of him in black... unless his new French Club wears Black.

Originally posted by O'Rothlian
Why did he go to a D2 team and not the top flight? You'd think he'd want to be with a team in the Heineken Cup.
The only reason Australians and New Zealanders go to the North is for money.

You do realise that he will be back to play super 14 rugby he has been named in the hurricanes squad :cheers:

[/b]

hmmm, someone else on this forum was floating that theory around earlier this the year. I think it was cwans.

Well maybe he's not just there for the money. I'm thinking about how his presence will really help Toulon. I think he knew this and maybe that was partly his reason for going up north. The fact that he doesn't speak French though might be a bit of problem.

316203-1506502-458-238.jpg

There are no reasons why he shouldn't be playing at international level still. I hope he does make a comeback for the RWC in France.

He played today his first match with the RCT his new club and he scored his first try:

291006umagaafp272tn7.jpg

wow, scored for wellington not long ago and here he is scoring for toulon already, he dont waste time at all.
I think umaga mentioned he was in france for a holiday with his family, so playing for toulon is his holiday job. Makes sense since he doesnt get paid as much as he was bein in the ABs, so he needs to make ends meet somehow.

316203-1506502-458-238.jpg

There are no reasons why he shouldn't be playing at international level still. I hope he does make a comeback for the RWC in France. [/b]

Tricky if he doesn't have a central contract. Which is even harder when he's not in New Zealand.

His first "pilou pilou" heard at the end of the video, a sort of Toulon's haka by the supporters. :lol:
It's one of the crazyest stadium in france. He said after the match that he had never seen an atmosphere similar in New Zeland. Impressed Tana :)

Latest posts