• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team of the 6N?

Prior to the tournament I believe Ford's overall goalkicking stats for the season were better than Farrell's, who recorded a mere 75pc throughout. I'm pretty sure we'd have won if Ford had been goalkicking.

Roberts' defence was monstrously good this tournament. And if you're going to dismiss Henshaw because 12 isn't his position, then logical consistency would demand doing the same with Farrell.

Thank you.

Ford's goalkicking hasn't been an area of concern for a couple of years, and never in an England shirt. Farrell looked really shaky this tournament; I don't know his exact stats but he certainly missed a couple he should've got and I can only think of one really tricky one he slotted (a key one though, to be fair). Even relatively easy kicks which he did get were off to one side rather than straight down the middle - a good indicator of how a kicker is striking it.

Don't really know about flyhalf. Ford wasn't as terrible as the fashionable opinion had it, but looked a bit shaky at times. Improved towards the end I think which is good news for England. Biggar is very limited and those limitations shone through in Wales's performance, Italy don't have a 10, Sexton was uninspiring. I like Russell although he essentially missed 2 / 5 games. Prob go for Russell.

As for 12 I think Roberts takes it pretty clearly, England, Ireland and France all seem to have problems at 12 at the moment. I actually quite rate Garcia, think he'd look a bit second-rate in a proper team though.

9's another hard one. Murray for me, although he wasn't outstanding he's still a good all-round SH playing well which is more than can be said for Wales's or either of England's.

I'd have Parisse at 8. I don't think there's been a Six Nations tournament where I haven't thought Parisse was the best eight by a mile, yes I have a massive man crush, what of it. Don't tell me you haven't watched him pass from the base of the scrum and fleetingly considered what a powerful yet tender lover he'd make.

Can't be arsed doing a whole team, maybe later. There's some thoughts to ponder on my way home.

And if you're going to dismiss Henshaw because 12 isn't his position, then logical consistency would demand doing the same with Farrell.

True, but I thought Henshaw actually played better at 13 against England than at 12 for the rest of the matches.

Schmidt really called that wrong. Badly, badly wrong IMO.

Thank you.

Ford's goalkicking hasn't been an area of concern for a couple of years, and never in an England shirt. Farrell looked really shaky this tournament; I don't know his exact stats but he certainly missed a couple he should've got and I can only think of one really tricky one he slotted (a key one though, to be fair). Even relatively easy kicks which he did get were off to one side rather than straight down the middle - a good indicator of how a kicker is striking it.

Sorry, was unclear. 75pc was Farrell's percentage for the 6N. Forget what it was for the season prior to that point.

1 Jack McGrath
2 Guilhelm Guirado
3 WP Nel

4 Maro Itoje
5 George Kruis

6 Chris Robshaw
8 Billy Vunipola
7 John Hardie

9 Greig Laidlaw
10 This inanimate carbon rod.

12 Robbie Henshaw
13 Duncan Taylor

11 George North
15 Stuart Hogg
14 Anthony Watson

Very Interesting to see some of these teams. Would be interested in seeing what people would like the Lions 15 to look like at the moment.

Some of the positions seem to pick themselves like 4,5,8,11,14, 15. But others, such as 9/10/12/13 I find difficult to really pick the best player of the tourney. Heres my list and reasons.

1. Jack McGrath - all round good performer (this is more of a gut choice based on other peoples choices)
2. Guilhem Guirado - Best tourney, calls for Hartley but Guirado was mentioned more and offered more in the loose.
3. WP Nel - Strong performances throughout, very impressive
4. Maro Itoje - Easy decision
5. George Kruis - Easy decision
6. Chris Robshaw - Was surprised when I saw his names on a few teams, but realised he was a solid workhorse for England. A lot of unseen work.
7. Jon Hardie - Very impressive throughout, proper 7, carried very well.
8. Billy Vunipola - Easy decision
9. Ben Youngs - Difficult this one, I have picked youngs for his excellent ability to add pace to the game.
10. Dan Biggar - No 10 really shone that well, think Biggar was the best.
11. George North - Easy decision
12. For a 10 in 12 spot, Farrell did very well. But this one im struggling with.
13. Again, I cant seem to pick this one. JJ was quiet, but defensively strong. JD2 was even quieter. Campanaro didn't have the impact he had last year.
14. Anthony Watson - Easy decision
15. Stuart Hogg - Easy decision

1. McGrath (solid, in comparison to other performances which all seemed middling at best)
2. Hartley (thought he was an excellent captain, made all the right choices and was solid at set pieces)
3. Nel (Stand-out front rower of the 6N's)

4. Itoje (Break-out tournament for him, don't agree that he's the next big thing and think he'll get shown up against Australia, but he had some immense performances and, along with Kruis, won England the game against France)
5. Kruis (Not as obvious as Itoje but did the basics perfectly)

6. Lydiate (Made a difference when Warburton got injured, thought he was excellent, also thought Barclay had a decent 6N's)
7. Hardie (A given)
8. Vunipola (Thought he really stepped up, even when he wasn't making the carries he was pulling in defenders left, right and center. Thought he had more of an impact that Falatau)

9. Laidlaw (Consistant kick ratio, not the fastest around the breakdown but makes up for it elsewhere)
10. Biggar (Didn't think any of the 10's this tournament had much to shout about, Biggar and Ford were probably the best of a bad bunch)
11. North (A given)
12. Farrell (More as a result of the rest of the 12's not really showing up. Dunbar was ok as was Henshaw, but Roberts, Garcia and Mermoz were terrible.)
13. Taylor (Surprised by him this tournament. Always thought he was solid for Sarries but was never an international player, but impressed this 6N)
14. Watson (Solid under the high ball which surprised me)
15. Hogg (Player of the tournament for me)

1.) Rob Evans
2.) Guilhem Guirado
3.) WP Nel
4.) Maro Itoje
5.) George Kruis
6.) CJ Stander
7.) John Hardie
8.) Sergio Parisse
9.) Greig Laidlaw
10.) Dan Biggar
11.) George North
12.) Jamie Roberts
13.) Duncan Taylor
14.) Anthony Watson
15.) Stuart Hogg

1. Jack McGrath
2. Dylan Hartley
3. WP Nel

4. Maro Itoje
5. George Kruis

6. CJ Stander
7. John Hardie
8. Billy Vunipola

9. Greig Laidlaw
10. Dan Biggar

11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Duncan Taylor
14. Anthony Watson
15. Stuart Hogg

Last edited:
I'm perplexed why so many people have overlooked Sexton. Created numerous line breaks for others, was the only 10 to be a genuine threat with ball in hand, defended well and kicked well. Maybe it was his antics in the Scotland game. I like Biggar and in the recent past he's been epic at times but I'm struggling to remember him influencing any game in this years tournament to any great degree.

I'd insist on Itoje, Kruis, Nel, Vunipola and Sexton.

Latest posts