• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team of the Six Nations

A

An Tarbh

Never mind the mediocrity let's be having your team of the Six Nations.

15. Armitage - solid start to the tournament but improved throughout the tournament.
14. Bowe - solid for Ireland throughout with excellent performances in Rome and Cardiff.
13. O'Driscoll - defied his critics with his finest Six Nations to date.
12. Flutey - consistent at the beginning and again improving with every game.
11. Medard - one of the few French to come out of this tournament with a good reputation.
10. Jones - not the best tournaments for the out halves but his opening 40 in Paris was the best we saw from anyone.
9. Phillips - again not a vintage tournament for the scrum halves but Phillips just about the best for me.
1. Jenkins - powerful in the scrum and for the most part dynamic in the loose.
2. Szarewski - France looked a lesser team whenever he went off and you can't fault his work rate.
3. Murray - put his hands up for Lions test spot after his injury.
4. Wyn Jones - anonymous in Rome but other than that excellent in the other games
5. O'Connell - immense in the lineout and the loose, has done his Lions' capataincy claims no harm.
6. Ferris - his tackling was immense throughout, unlucky yesterday with his finger injury.
7. Ouedrago - again impressed every time he played and France missed him when he didn't.
8. Heaslip - you can make your case for Parisse but Heaslip's contribution to a grand slam winning side was too significant to discount.

Unlucky to miss out are Shanklin, who was superb as was Parisse, Worsley had his moments but not enough to get in my side and Parra's performance against Wales was outstanding.

There was only one thing wrong with Parisse this year - He was stuck in an Italian side. I literally wanted to punch Jonathan Davies in the face when he discounted the big man from the POTT running by saying "he didn't win a game" - BOD just edges it for the award, but Parisse clearly demonstrated why he's the best 8 in the world all tournament.

Agreed. Heaslip was awesome, but Parisse was world class... again. Being in a winning side doesn't make Heaslip a better play, as superb as he is.

Not really any thing else I disagree with.

15. Armitage
14. Cueto
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey
11. Medard
10. Jones
9. Phillips
8. Parisse
7. Dusautoir
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. O'Callaghan
3. Jones
2. Szarzewski
1. Jenkins

honourable shoutouts go to Heaslip and Harinordoquy who thouroughly deserve a place at 8 but for Parisse.

15 Byrne
14 Bowe
13 Shanklin
12 BOD
11 Medard
10 Jones
9 Phillips by default
1 Jenkins
2 Swazrseski
3 Murray
4 DoC
5 PoC
6 Ferris
7 Dusaitor (sp)
8 Harinordoqouy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 22 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
15. Armitage
14. Cueto
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey
11. Medard
10. Jones
9. Phillips
8. Parisse
7. Dusautoir
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. O'Callaghan
3. Jones
2. Szarzewski
1. Jenkins

honourable shoutouts go to Heaslip and Harinordoquy who thouroughly deserve a place at 8 but for Parisse.[/b]

Cueto? You are insane!

I wouldn't start O'Callaghan either cause he gives away too many silly penalties.

15. Delon Armitage
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Brian O'Driscoll
12. Riki Flutey
11. Thom Evans
10. Stephen Jones
9. Mike Phillips (Honourable mention for Paul Griffen's sideburns)

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Dimitri Szarzewski
3. Euan Murray
4. Alun Wyn-Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. Martyn Williams
8. Sergio Parisse

I'd probably swap Medard for Fitzgerald (for his physicality) but I agree with Cueto.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (go on the irish @ Mar 22 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 22 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
15. Armitage
14. Cueto
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey
11. Medard
10. Jones
9. Phillips
8. Parisse
7. Dusautoir
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. O'Callaghan
3. Jones
2. Szarzewski
1. Jenkins

honourable shoutouts go to Heaslip and Harinordoquy who thouroughly deserve a place at 8 but for Parisse.[/b]

Cueto? You are insane!

I wouldn't start O'Callaghan either cause he gives away too many silly penalties.
[/b][/quote]

How? He had 5 very solid games in which he defended well, looked threatening in attack... what more do you want? Williams was off-colour, Bowe had a cracker yesterday but I don't remember anything else positive from him... who else do you want to pick?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 22 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (go on the irish @ Mar 22 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 22 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
15. Armitage
14. Cueto
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey
11. Medard
10. Jones
9. Phillips
8. Parisse
7. Dusautoir
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. O'Callaghan
3. Jones
2. Szarzewski
1. Jenkins

Cueto? You are insane!

[/b][/quote]

How? He had 5 very solid games in which he defended well, looked threatening in attack... what more do you want? Williams was off-colour, Bowe had a cracker yesterday but I don't remember anything else positive from him... who else do you want to pick?
[/b][/quote]

well he put down a marker in the opening 2 games as well not just yesterday.

Did he?

Different Cueto to the one I saw going anonimous in all but the French games. Evans made mincemeat of Cueto yesterday, was unlucky not to have the support he needed.

15. Lee Byrne - Solid throughout, did a lot of good things, did some bad things but I think he'll come of age in a Lions XV.
14. Mark Cueto - I've always been a fan, exactly what England need at a time like this, experienced, scores tries.
13. BOD :( - Did a lot of good work around the park in almost every facet of the game, a go to man for a Lions place, not for captaincy though.
12. Jamie Roberts - Hmm, really good at the start, kind of negated by Henson and bad gameplans against the French and fell out of favour, still f***ing solid though.
11. Thom Evans - or Shane Williams in that order. Ugo if he played more games in his "vs. Scotland" form.
10. I refuse to choose, some were good but bad at other times, others were bad and good at other times.
9. See above. Mike Phillips for sake of argument.
8. Sergio Parrise - He was Italy.
7. Thiery Dusautoir - Tackles, scoring tries, making some vital yardage, being dead useful at ruck time, doing everything at some points.]
6. Ryan Jones - Lead Wales well, got **** done, did a lot of work with ball in hand and at the breakdown, part of the best back row in the NH as far as chemistry is concerned.
5. Paul O'Connell - Lions Captain, soild in the lineout, solid with ball in hand, solid in every facet of the game he concerns himself with.
4. A W Jones - Wales captain for future, future of Welsh rugby, strong, good with ball in hand, made yards.
3. Matt Stevens :p / Euan Murray - Came in and gave Scotland what we needed...just wasn't enough.
2. Dimitri Szwarszki (sp?) - Was good throughout, one of few players who was almost consistently good.
1. Gethin Jenkins - I love this man (in a totally non-gay way), Dynamic, perfect counterpart to the Beast for the Lions, good in the scrum.

This in no way means I think the French or the Irish were shite by lack of players, but these were my favourites.
I fully except Scotland were shite.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Mar 22 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did he?

Different Cueto to the one I saw going anonimous in all but the French games. Evans made mincemeat of Cueto yesterday, was unlucky not to have the support he needed.[/b]

well I was talking about Bowe, misinterpretation on my part.

15. Lee Byrne (Wales)
14. Tommy Bowe (Ireland)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)
12. Riki Flutey (England)
11. Thom Evans (Scotland)
10. Stephen Jones (Wales)
9. Mike Phillips (Wales)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy)
7. Theiry Dusatoir (France)
6. Stephen Ferris (Ireland)
5. Paul O'Connell (Ireland) - Also would be caption of 6 Nations Dream XI (And Lions)
4. Alan Wyn Jones (Wales)
3. Euan Murray (Scotland)
2. Dimitri Szwarszki (France)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales)

I'd also like to echo the sentiments of man love for Gethin Jenkins.

15. Delon Armitage - made a couple of mistakes against Scot, but solid under high ball and broke the line better than Byrne and Kearney.
14. Tommy Bowe - not the greatest, but his Millennium performance clinches it. Of course, it should be Shane Horgan!
13. Brian O'Driscoll. No comment.
12. Hmmm. Jamie Roberts, I guess. Wish Baby had been given more of a run.
11. Hmmm. Lots of ok contenders. Hugo Monye, because of his first 20 mins against Scot - saved a try, scored a try. Write the feem toon, sing the feem toon. Stunning effort to catch Evans.
10. Stephen Jones
9. More ok contenders. Morgan Parra, because he kicks goals as well.

1. Gethin Jenkins - I haven't a clue really
2. Jerry Flannery - Munster monster
3. Euan Murray - I haven't a clue really
4. Lionel Nallet
5. Paul O'Connell. No comment.
6. Stephen Ferris - Ulster monster
7. Thiery Dusautoir - I'd love to say David Wallace, but this guy is a special player
8. Jamie Heaslip - not his greatest at the Millennium, but shaded Harinord in An Crunch. Parisse is victim of the Georgie Best curse.

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales)
2. Dimitri Swarzewski (France)
3. Euan Murray (Scotland)
4. Alan Wyn Jones (Wales)
5. Paul O'Connell (Ireland)
6. Stephen Ferris (Ireland)
7. Thiery Dusautoir (France)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy)
9. Morgan Parra (France)
10. Stephen Jones (Wales)
11. Maxime Médard (France)
12. Riki Flutey (England)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)
14. Mark Cueto (England)
15. Lee Byrne (Wales)

15. Lee Byrne
14. Mark Cueto
13. BOD 
12. Ricky Flutey
11. Tommy Bowe
10. Stephen Jones
 9. Morgan Parra 
 8. Sergio Parrise  
 7. Thiery Dusautoir
 6. Ferris
 5. Paul O'Connell 
 4. A W Jones
 3. Euan Murray 
 2. Dimitri Szarzewski
 1. Gethin Jenkins

Not much choice for the wings and the 10 IMO. And Maxime Médard is more a fullback. (but at least he's a good finisher on his wing...)

15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. GOD
12. Riki Flutey
11. Thom Evans
10. Ryan Jones I guess
9. Meh! Philipps

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Dimitri Szarzewski
3. Euan Murray
4. A W Jones
5. Paul O'Connell