• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team of the Six Nations

But when Parisse played well, he was world class. Heaslip never reached that level, as good as he was.

ah you're off the mark there, the performances of Heaslip have been world class, but he has to produce that year in year out to be considered a world class player, no doubt Parisse has done that but he stood out more this year because Italy got worse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 23 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
but Heaslip didn't have a bad game, Parisse did.[/b]

Ah but Parisse was so outstanding in the games he was good in that it completely overrides Heaslip's consistently good performances. ;)

See my logic?

Parisse never had a bad game, he had a bad game by his ridiculously high standards.

He stood out more this year? :huh:
Maybe so, but when has he never stood out?

And being a part of all the good things about your team is testamant to how good a player you are. I think Parisse was a part of or the cause of every thing good for Italy. Against Ireland he wasn't bad, just not up his usual standard of performance.

EDIT: ^No it wasn't.

Or to put it more correctly: silence, meatbag!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 23 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He stood out more this year? :huh:
Maybe so, but when has he never stood out?

And being a part of all the good things about your team is testamant to how good a player you are. I think Parisse was a part of or the cause of every thing good for Italy. Against Ireland he wasn't bad, just not up his usual standard of performance.[/b]

yes in that Parisse was as good as ever, but Italy in general were not, therefore he stood out more, that's not to imply that he didn't stand out before.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 23 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why select Thom Evans? He's good by Scottish standards, but I really don't think he's all he's cracked up to be.[/b]

He was one of the best wingers in the tourni. He made lots of breaks and scored too. That's what you want isn't it?
[/b][/quote]

scored? against Italy hardly counts.

I'm not Bowe's greatest fan but he's a better player than Evans. Watch the angles Fitzgerald cuts, the way he goes looking for the ball. Watch the defensive capabilities of Cueto, or the sheer invention of Medard.

If I want to pick a fast guy who makes breaks, I'll have Sackey or Monye... two players who've played this 6N who would dick Evans over 100m.

yeah but Girvan Dempsey was the fastest in the Irish squad in terms of straight line speed so that doesn't amount to much in fairness.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 23 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why select Thom Evans? He's good by Scottish standards, but I really don't think he's all he's cracked up to be.[/b]

He was one of the best wingers in the tourni. He made lots of breaks and scored too. That's what you want isn't it?
[/b][/quote]

I'm not Bowe's greatest fan but he's a better player than Evans. Watch the angles Fitzgerald cuts, the way he goes looking for the ball. Watch the defensive capabilities of Cueto, or the sheer invention of Medard.

If I want to pick a fast guy who makes breaks, I'll have Sackey or Monye... two players who've played this 6N who would dick Evans over 100m.
[/b][/quote]

I've realised how good a winger Fitzgerald is this 6N. He deos run amazing angles and when the ball hets to him on those angles he is lightening fast. Not to mention that he has had one of the highest tackle counts in nearly all of his matches in the competition.

Edit: And also I think you're harsh on Evans. He did make most of his breaks himself without much help grom a mediocre Scottish midfield. When he was tackled by Monye (?) into touch after that break (he made on his own), he couldn't step, because if I remember correctly, Flood would have had him

It was France, not Italy, that he scored against though GG!

Personally I think Thom Evans stood out for Scotland just like Parisse did Italy. Obviously nowhere near as much does he stand out because Parisse is immense but I think that he was exciting to watch, made breaks where normally Scotland would have no one and generally lifted the team. Bowe at least was building on quality attacks already.

Parisse is a world class player who unfortunatly is stuck in a team that lacks quality, he always stands out even when the team has a bad game! Its a pity he's not eligible for Lions selection!

Heaslip has played exeptionally well lets not forget it! Its a hard line between the both of them but I feel Heaslip was far more consistent! Parisse always gets the sympathy votes I feel at times just because he plays for Italy and at times hs performances are over-hyped which aint always fair!

A close call really in which Parisse is the man!

Im not deny it, hes a good player but at times when he plays poorly he still gets good praise!

Parisse doesn't play badly. We only think he plays badly.
The only time Parisse was wrong was when he thought he made a mistake.
Jesus can walk on water, but Chuck Norris can swim through land. Parisse crushed Chuck Norris's head and high-fived Jesus.

etc...

Fitzgerald mainly played a defensive role this year. Didnt get many opportunities but have no doubt he IS the future of Irish rugby.

Remember he played 12 against the AB's in the autumn and looked pretty handy. This guy is a class player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

No no! You can stop right there! I won't hear a good word about Paul Sackey.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fitzgerald progressing at international level. I think he could've had a bigger impact in this 6N but he didnt see much of the ball unfortunately. Still made an impact defensively though. Lee Byrne would agree with me there.

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Just cause Evans was tap tackled by Monye he's now a slug? hes not the quickest over 100m but hes in the top 3 or 4 in the championship which is worth something. He could have quite easily scored 4 tries in this championship, remarkable considering the guys in our backline. He's very creative to, better than Medard (who is overated) the English wingers. Hes probably on par with the Irish wingers with a tad more pace.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Mar 24 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 23 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Just cause Evans was tap tackled by Monye he's now a slug? hes not the quickest over 100m but hes in the top 3 or 4 in the championship which is worth something. He could have quite easily scored 4 tries in this championship, remarkable considering the guys in our backline. He's very creative to, better than Medard (who is overated) the English wingers. Hes probably on par with the Irish wingers with a tad more pace.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, I never said he's a slug, stop looking at it so black and white. I said there are a lot of good wingers around who offer a solid all-round game; whereas I don't see much more from Thom Evans than pace and stepping. Other wingers who offer this are Sackey and Monye, who I see as quicker... hence if you're playing top trumps and they're even on everything else apart from speed then you have a clear winner. That does not mean Evans is a bad player. There are many different types of wingers, and of Evans' ilk I reckon there are better players than him.

Latest posts