Teams capable of winning the 2014 Heineken Cup

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I started the same thread last year, I think it's a good one for the off season.

I'll do it out in order of my favorites down to the bottom:

ASM Clermont Auvergne: I still think they have the best team in Europe although they're getting quite old which will be a factor and they need to kick their habit of losing big games when they're on top.

RC Toulon: Defending champions, always tough to win two in a row but they're strengthening their team even further.

Toulouse: Strong squad they never really clicked this season but they're not a side to go too long without silverware.

Leinster Rugby: First non-French team featured and even though they're losing a few of their big names including Joe Schmidt I still think they're the strongest of the British and Irish clubs but it will be a very tough task.

Leicester Tigers: English champions again, the squad is gaining confidence but they might need a new coach, I'm not sure Cockerell is good enough to win a Heineken cup.

Ulster Rugby: Good squad and they're maturing, it's about time they won something as well after their near misses.

Racing Metro 92: A fantastic group of players but it might take more than a season to click.

Teams who could ride their luck and upset everyone:

Munster: No O'Gara, whether that's good or bad, they're going through a transition period but they can always fight.

Northampton: The front row isn't as good but they have Fotuali'i who can change a team, I still think they're only a good out half away from being a top class team.

Castres: Upset everyone in the Top 14 so they can do it in the HEC.

A total of 10 teams there, I reckon the winners will be French again hopefully it's not an all French final again. It'll be a very interesting season.

Are those teams accurate or do I need to add teams (maybe Quins) or take any away?

I started the same thread last year, I think it's a good one for the off season.

I'll do it out in order of my favorites down to the bottom:

ASM Clermont Auvergne: I still think they have the best team in Europe although they're getting quite old which will be a factor and they need to kick their habit of losing big games when they're on top.

RC Toulon: Defending champions, always tough to win two in a row but they're strengthening their team even further.

Toulouse: Strong squad they never really clicked this season but they're not a side to go too long without silverware.

Leinster Rugby: First non-French team featured and even though they're losing a few of their big names including Joe Schmidt I still think they're the strongest of the British and Irish clubs but it will be a very tough task.

Leicester Tigers: English champions again, the squad is gaining confidence but they might need a new coach, I'm not sure Cockerell is good enough to win a Heineken cup.

Ulster Rugby: Good squad and they're maturing, it's about time they won something as well after their near misses.

Racing Metro 92: A fantastic group of players but it might take more than a season to click.

Teams who could ride their luck and upset everyone:

Munster: No O'Gara, whether that's good or bad, they're going through a transition period but they can always fight.

Northampton: The front row isn't as good but they have Fotuali'i who can change a team, I still think they're only a good out half away from being a top class team.

Castres: Upset everyone in the Top 14 so they can do it in the HEC.

A total of 10 teams there, I reckon the winners will be French again hopefully it's not an all French final again. It'll be a very interesting season.

Are those teams accurate or do I need to add teams (maybe Quins) or take any away?

I think your fairly accurat with that so far can't see (m)any other teams competing up there this year maybe Quinns but not sure. Clermont have now gone to all 3 knockout stages surly thats enough exprince and know how to get them a win this year. Toulon very strong squad i just hope they change their style of play to include some more expansive rugby for at least the pools as they have the players to execute some excellent rugby. I'm hoping for a new team (or Leinster) to win it this year, so maybe Racing as now Johnny's there I have some interest in them.

I like that Clermont are counted on as being the favorites, the ones that have the better/one of the best chances to win it all; in that they're so prolific and dangerous on attack.
It's sort of a +1 for attacking teams, VS conservative boring play.

Toulon srsly ought to develop their attack, they had tons of tries this season in the Top 14/HC, but that's because opposing teams' defenses were very questionable most of those times and their forwards will do most of the work. But with guys like Smith/Armittage/Giteau/Bastareaud/Palisson...even Wilko can be a good setup for those wings, he's shwon some nice attacking instinct and ability. I feel like they never developed that attack fully this year, not as powerful as ASM's.

Clermont or Toulon. Other than that, not sure.

Racing is already being overrated. Even with all their signings, they have half the talent that Toulon and Clermont have, and none of the game time together. Would be an achievement just to get out of their group imo.

Leicester are definitely the best English team, but Saints don't deserve to be in the potential upsetters group. They have the hardest group of any of the English teams and a lot of positional weaknesses. They've stagnated for the last few years. There's potential for them to get better with seemingly a new focus on attack, but I definitely fancy Tigers, Sarries (better than Saints, easier group) and Glos (about as good as Saints, much easier group) as the likeliest English teams to progress out of their groups and maybe upset further on in the comp.

I have little doubt that the teams that will be fighting out for the top 4 positions in the Top 15 will be there or thereabouts (depending on quarters draw) with Leicester and Sarries able ti upset that....................sorry have to say think that even though Madigan is a good player the loss of Sexton and Schmidt plus BOD ekeing out a final year (why when his body is probably saying no and his future will be occupying a lot of his mind time?), I do not see Leinster in the final mix although they should qualify!

The French teams I think will be there in the order of superiority would be Toulon, Clermont, Racing and Toulouse although Montpellier may just give Toulouse a run for their money this year.

I do not see a Top 14, never mind H Cup, win from a team like Castres again unless they find a HUGE sugar daddy......they have lost too many of their better players (although not sure where Krokettydoccetty will end up) never mind also losing their management!!

As some one else said, Northampton could be a surprise with their new unprouncounceable 9 but, as Biarritz have found out to their cost, a brilliant 9 does not make up for a useless 10 and Saints have been lacking in that position almost as long as Biarritz! They have now seen the end of the Barwell dynasty at the top and changes at the top invariably filter down -I do not see them doing any better than this year although North could prove me wrong.....think he made a bad choice and I am a big Saints (and Piggy) supporter!!

Edit......look what the Castres management (Travers and Labit) did with no money and think what they can do with loadsamoney and super huge amounts of talent already signed....they will be there believe it!!

Last edited:
I'd love to see Ulster in the final again, but I just can't see it. I'd probably predict a semi-final but nothing more, and I haven't heard of any new signings so far.

Clermont > Toulon > Leicster > Leinster ~ Ulster > Racing > Harlequins

The only reason I'm putting Leinster joint 4th with Ulster is because how unpredicatable next year could be. Madigan looks the real deal, but how the squad will click with a new coach is again pretty unpredicatable - but I'd say they would have a good stab at it regardless. (The same could be said for Racing I guess)
Cant wait to play Leicster again in the pool stages, but I don't expect a blow out at Ravenhill like the last 2 occasions.

Dunno about you, but having Wilson back fit will feel like a new signing, and fingers crossed on Mr Wrecking Ball himself... if we could somehow get the full team fit and playing for the important parts of the campaign, I feel Ulster genuinely have a shout.

From a Welsh perspective, only the Ospreys have a hope. That will rely on keeping a close to fit squad, because some of the backup isn't of the necessary quality.

A matchday squad of Bevington, Hibbard, Jones, Jones, Evans, Jones, Tipuric, Bearman; Habberfield, Biggar, Walker, Beck, Bishop/Howells, Dirksen, Fussell. Baldwin, Jones, Jarvis, Peers, King, Tibaldi/Webb, Morgan, Howells/Bishop; would be a match for most, but take away the likes of Hibbard, Adam Jones, Bearman, Biggar and /or a centre/wing, and things start looking decidedly under par.

The Blues should be stronger this season than the last few with Jenkins and Rees strengthening the front-row, Patchell really maturing into the 10 role, and hopefully the emergence of Cory Allen (crossing fingers). But the loss of Roberts is a tough one to take, even if he was't fit most of the time.

The Scarlets have made a couple of hopeful signings in their pack. Both Barclay and the huge 8 they've signed could add a combative edge to their backrow that has been sorely lacking, and allow Turnbul, Shingler and McCusker to battle it out on the blindside. They are still relying on rookies at props, with the hope that Rhodri Jones, Rob Evans and Samson Lee can hold the scrum. Their backline is no longer the force it once was. With Priestland out again and Owen Williams gone, they will have to fall back on the useless Aled Thomas, or give Jordan Williams a chance. They basically have no quality wingers left!

Last edited:
Clermont or Toulon. Other than that, not sure.

Racing is already being overrated. Even with all their signings, they have half the talent that Toulon and Clermont have, and none of the game time together. Would be an achievement just to get out of their group imo.

Leicester are definitely the best English team, but Saints don't deserve to be in the potential upsetters group. They have the hardest group of any of the English teams and a lot of positional weaknesses. They've stagnated for the last few years. There's potential for them to get better with seemingly a new focus on attack, but I definitely fancy Tigers, Sarries (better than Saints, easier group) and Glos (about as good as Saints, much easier group) as the likeliest English teams to progress out of their groups and maybe upset further on in the comp.

I think your being a little harsh on the Saints. If you look at the amount of the squad in Argentina plus two sat at home. North and Corbs joing the team. I think they have every reason to be in the teams that can cause an upset. Getting out the group is a different matter.

Leicester are a step above us with their overall squad at the moment, but on paper this was our weakest team in quite a few years and we still reached the Premiership final! Bullying Sarries away from home, coupled with some of the signings we have made, should see a fair amount of confidence flowing through the squad.

I think we perform better as underdogs so most will be happy to see others underestimate us. Getting out of our group will be a tough challenge, but not impossible I don't think.

Latest posts