• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Telford player banned 18 weeks for racial abuse

Robert Prosser

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
Telford Hornets centre Martin Rudd had denied the charge, which stemmed from an incident in a Midlands Four West North match against Market Drayton on January 28.
Market Drayton subsequently left the field, forcing the referee to abandon the match.
Rudd was found guilty at a Rugby Football Union disciplinary hearing in Coventry on Tuesday evening and banned from playing until June 2.
His Honour Judge Sean Enright, the chairman of the disciplinary panel, said: "Racism has no part in the game. We are utterly determined to stamp it out when it appears."
Market Drayton have been deducted 20 league points after being found guilty of misconduct for leaving the field.
The RFU disciplinary panel ruled the match should be recorded as a 0-0 draw, with no match points awarded.
The penalty drops Market Drayton from 32 down to 12 points, level with St Leonards. There is then a 10-point gap to the league's bottom club Rugeley.

http://www.rugbyrugby.com/news/more_news/northern_hemishere/6999596/player_banned_for_racial_abuse

The player released this statement
Telford Hornets centre Martin Rudd has apologised for the racist remark he made "in the heat of the moment" that earnt him an 18-week ban.
Rudd said he immediately regretted the comment, which was made "in the heat of the moment" in a Midlands Four West North match against Market Drayton on January 28.

Market Drayton subsequently left the field, forcing the referee to abandon the match. Because they refused to play on, Market Drayton were last night docked 20 league points after being found guilty of misconduct.

Rudd, who has been banned from playing until June 2, said in a statement released on his behalf by the Rugby Football Union: "I am sorry for the embarrassment I have caused to the game I love, my club, and to my family and myself.

"I made a comment during the heat of the moment that I accept has no place on a rugby pitch and which I immediately was sorry for.

"I wish to apologise to the player I offended and to Market Drayton as a club for my conduct which fell below the standards expected of all rugby players.

"I accept that rugby is a sport for all. I am grateful to Telford RFC for the support they have given me throughout my career and hope that I can be given the chance to play again sometime in the future.

"I am determined to learn from my mistake, in the meantime I will accept my punishment and again apologise for my behaviour."

Last edited:
Seems well dealt with to me. Much as we may criticise the RFU, at least they're not the FA, UEFA, or FIFA.

Football fans always bring up bloodgate/ England's world cup/ gouging in order to say 'actually rugby's really thuggish' but in reality, we should be ****ing proud that our game's biggest flaws are mere overly-sensationalised media tripe, rather than the blatant racism, fraud, dishonesty and sheer lack of integrity which characterises the code of Terry, Liverpool, Redknapp, Blatter et al.

Latest posts